996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

99 996 Hard to start warm after 1 hour.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:53 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^ that was the other item I am replacing also.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree with Aspen.
Old 03-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Youri Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had exactly same issue , it was caused by TWO things :

1. High fuel pressure (clogged return fuel line)

2. Bad check valve in the fuel pump - read, bad fuel pump. Fuel pressure was dropping instantly to zero with the engine off.

You need to test your fuel pressure.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM
Casey Fox
6th Gear

Very helpful ideas, folks. Thank you! Definitely no hesitation or stalling when driving. I had the evap canister shutoff valve replaced in October. Is that the same as the evap purge valve?
Old 03-24-2016, 05:54 PM
Aspen Autosports
Former Vendor

No it is not the same thing. The purge valve is located in the engine compartment, the shutoff valve is located behind the right front wheel well near the canister.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:07 PM
tharbin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had what sounds like the exact same problem shortly after I acquired my 2001 C4. Think it is why the PO sold it to the dealer. He had it into the dealer several times for "wiring issues", he replaced the battery, he replaced the starter motor, then he traded it in.

Everything seemed fine until a few hot days. Read a lot on RL and figured best bet to be purge valve Aspen mentioned. Do a search on here and you will find a way to test it and try to clean it with a nine volt battery and compressed air. Did it, took about 1 hour mainly because I kept second guessing myself. Since I did it. Not one more occurrence in the last 11 months (knocking wood). The 9v battery will also tell you if it is just plan shot. I haven't researched it but it acts like a type of vapor lock scenario. Cranks like crazy but doesn't start without holding your foot to the floor for several seconds while cranking.

Could be other things as others has mentioned but that would be my first bet.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

I had the same problem, and when I replaced the battery, the problem went away. Didn't make a lot of sense to me, but hey, I no longer have the problem.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:52 AM
Breitling123
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Casey Fox
Very helpful ideas, folks. Thank you! Definitely no hesitation or stalling when driving. I had the evap canister shutoff valve replaced in October. Is that the same as the evap purge valve?
So have you fix your problem? Since I have the same issue with hard start when warm. Driven, engine off, sit for around 45 mins, and to turn on again the engine started with rev to 1,000 rpm but immediately dropped to zero and stall. Then the second start needs 5 sec hard cranking with full throttle then it fired up and idling normally. But some time even the first or the second start up successful, the car will still stall after a light throttle say move off from the carpark and come to a stop at the gate (5 sec light throttle movement and stop) then it will stall again. Though after the third or fourth restart, the car run smooth for good. but sometime until I arrived the destination and push to reverse for parking, once shifted the rev can not keep stable and stall immediately. This really make me looks like a dump on the street.

See how you fixed your problem so I may make some reference before go for the mechanics again. This had been dragging on for years and no fix solution. I have replaced the crank shaft sensor and fuel pump valve/sensor already, my only suspect is now is the EVAP Purge Valve as mentioned above.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:59 PM
sleboff
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aspen Autosports
Without seeing the vehicle and running some diag it is hard to tell but based on the information you are giving us I see 2 possibilities.

As mentioned by AWDguy it could be the crank position sensor. However when this fails it will typically cause the car to stall and not restart until it cools down. Since you said you can turn the car off and start it right back up I do not think this is the likely source of your problem.

You mentioned if you hold the accelerator pedal to the floor it will start easier, based on that info I would suggest it is a problem with your EVAP purge valve. Essentially this valve is failing and flooding the cylinders with raw fuel preventing it from starting again unless you lean it would with lots of air (full throttle on the accelerator pedal). This part number is 99611012953. It is about $210 for the part.

You can prove this by shutting the car off and pinching off the rubber lines after the valve. Wait the half hour and then try to restart. If it restarts without any issues then you can remove whatever you have used to pinch off the line and try to duplicate the problem again. If it is present then you know you found the culprit.

Let us know how you make out.
I've been having the same issues, had the fuel pump and float, crankshaft sensor, coolant sensor, and airflow sensor replaced and yet the problem persists. Car is running better than before, just cant get it to start when hot. Is this a DIY fix or need to take to my mechanic?
Old 11-10-2020, 04:11 AM
Breitling123
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by sleboff
I've been having the same issues, had the fuel pump and float, crankshaft sensor, coolant sensor, and airflow sensor replaced and yet the problem persists. Car is running better than before, just cant get it to start when hot. Is this a DIY fix or need to take to my mechanic?
Hi, turn out it was my faulty EVAP Purge Valve problem, tested it by unplugging it to start the hot engine and it runs, plug the valve back on and it immediately stalled. Replaced it last year and everything solved. Good luck to yours.

An EASY DIY job.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:38 AM
sleboff
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breitling123
Hi, turn out it was my faulty EVAP Purge Valve problem, tested it by unplugging it to start the hot engine and it runs, plug the valve back on and it immediately stalled. Replaced it last year and everything solved. Good luck to yours.

An EASY DIY job.
thanks! Do you have instructions on how to replace?
Old 02-06-2021, 10:57 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If anyone has pix replacing the valve, pls post.

if no pix, where is it located/needs to be removed to locate the valve. TIA.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:31 AM
DSC800
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by amfp
If anyone has pix replacing the valve, pls post.

if no pix, where is it located/needs to be removed to locate the valve. TIA.
Are you referring to part #99611012953? Look directly above your alternator pulley and it is the component at the top of your engine bay. I'm looking at this and the canister valve due to a code, but will try replacing my gas cap first. Also, Bosch has this part for a fraction of the Porsche price (as usual).

Last edited by DSC800; 02-07-2021 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2021, 12:47 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many thanks, DSC. That’s the part number.

Read all threads, watched YouTube videos about this long cranking while hot issue. Also ran codes, power tested battery, checked starter cable and have new gas cap for another reason. Also thought was bad gas, and ran BK44 with non ethanol fuel. All checked out fine. I don’t mind the extended cranking IF eventually starts. I now to test this valve, now knowing is easy to get to. Thanks again.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:18 AM
Optionman1
Rennlist Member

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,013 Posts

I believe trouble cranking when hot is sign starter is on the way out. I had this issue last summer, replaced the starter, never happened again. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: 99 996 Hard to start warm after 1 hour.