Sponsored by:

Trouble removing Strut bolts/nuts

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
No, that's the spring perch. I'm talking about the bolt that connects the strut to the wheel carrier. It's missing from the Auto Atlanta diagrams...
Right. Never mind. I couldn't find it on autoatlanta or PET either.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:58 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Grainger, McMaster Carr, and believe it or not some Ace Hardware stores carries quite a bit of Metric specialty stuff as well.
Ooops! They're not 85 mm long, they're only 70mm so I should be able to get them without too much trouble. That said, I still can't get the damn thing out... It turns, but won't back out
Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

This "bolt"? http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...mall/pic02.jpg

Name:  junk.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  50.1 KB
Old 03-18-2016, 08:42 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

This one! Wheel carrier to strut. As u can see, the nut is off, but I can't get the bolt out of the carrier. 😳
Old 03-18-2016, 11:14 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I suspect it's the rusted rectangular piece grabbing the threads in the middle of the bolt. Can you spray more pb or kroil into the hole and hammer the rectangular piece at different directions to loosen up all the rust a bit?

May also try to pry around the crack between that piece and the aluminum carrier carefully.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:43 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
I followed these instructions and did not have the problems you mention: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Springs.htm

Is something different?
When I got to step/figure 6 I hit a snag😉
Old 03-19-2016, 12:50 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I suspect it's the rusted rectangular piece grabbing the threads in the middle of the bolt. Can you spray more pb or kroil into the hole and hammer the rectangular piece at different directions to loosen up all the rust a bit?

May also try to pry around the crack between that piece and the aluminum carrier carefully.
Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing. I can't believe that that little piece of sheet metal could hold that bolt. I've beaten on it quite a bit with a heavy hammer and drift, it just won't budge. It's like it's threaded into its side of the carrier (like a threaded shoulder - I've seen suspension bolts like that on bmw's) 😨

Last edited by dporto; 03-19-2016 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Thread a nut on there, three or four threads, heat it red hot (the bolt) with a propane torch and then hammer it hard. It will come out, just stuck due to corrosion. Be careful you fully support the aluminum wheel carrier housing perhaps with a large socket directly under the bolt. You don't want it to crack.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:02 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

+1 on your local ACE/True Value Hardware store.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:13 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
Thread a nut on there, three or four threads, heat it red hot (the bolt) with a propane torch and then hammer it hard. It will come out, just stuck due to corrosion.
x2 I always reserve heat as last resort as it can alter the metallurgy and when you're dealing with grade 8 bolts, you may want to replace the bolts afterwards to be safe.

If PB Blaster doesn't loosen it after a liberal soaking overnight and you don't have readily access to Kroil, try putting some ATF on it. This is the old school formula for loosening nuts and bolts before Kroil came along. Some say Kroil is based on an ATF derivative.

Good luck and keep at it. If it makes you feel any better, it took me over a week to replace my rear suspension on my old Civic due to rust and many frozen bolts.
Old 03-19-2016, 05:44 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

So, I got the first one out of the wheel carrier today - After 3 days soaking with PB's and beating the hell out of it with a drift and a big ball peen hammer!!! It came out - I guess it's just the steel bolt in the aluminum carrier...big pain, but everything is progressing now. Good thing I ordered new top-mounts (Tarrertt adjustable camber mono-ball) as mine were toast. I'll post some photo's later...

As you can see, the top mount was shot!

New strut, just waiting for camber plates to reinstall

Last edited by dporto; 03-20-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:30 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Now that I've gotten one of the front struts out and am working on the other, next question... Upon pulling the wheel carrier off the end of the axle, I noticed a little play in the wheel bearings. There isn't a lot of play, but it is noticeable (maybe 1/16" ?). This wasn't noticeable with the wheels on, but once they were off and the hub was exposed it feels a little loose/wobbly. I figure that now's the time to replace them as I don't want take this all apart again. I've already ordered the bearings and they should arrive this week. My plan is to use a screw type bearing extractor as I don't have a press readily available. My question is this: Using the screw type bearing extractor, would it be easier if the wheel carrier was back in it's installed position in the car (mounted on the strut) or loose/on the bench? It seems to me that I should mount everything back up and then extract/install the new bearings - I just want to check with those who've done it.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:56 AM
Sneaky Pete
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
My question is this: Using the screw type bearing extractor, would it be easier if the wheel carrier was back in it's installed position in the car (mounted on the strut) or loose/on the bench? It seems to me that I should mount everything back up and then extract/install the new bearings - I just want to check with those who've done it.
I have not had to replace bearings but if did I would prefer to do it while they are mounted on the car for better leverage.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I have not had to replace bearings but if did I would prefer to do it while they are mounted on the car for better leverage.
^That's^ what I'm thinking. I've got a large vise on the bench, but given the unusual shape of the carrier, I think having it mounted and held by the suspension components is probably the way to go. Thanks for the thought
Old 03-22-2016, 08:38 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

I've been working on the second strut for three days now - Soaking with PB blaster and hammering with a drift. I've also used a bit of heat (heat gun) but I'm very hesitant to use too much on the aluminum casting... I can't even get this bolt to turn, whereas the other one turned, it just wouldn't back out... Man, what a pain in the ***! I'm thinking I may need to bring the whole carrier/strut assembly to a shop with a press and have them press it out...

Quick Reply: Trouble removing Strut bolts/nuts