Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My Milkshake Brings all the Boys to the Yard....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 01:00 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by alpine003
Hopefully it's the right knee?
Originally Posted by Slakker
What happened?
Wish I had a cool story, but I don't. I was at an indoor trampoline park with my kids, tried to dunk a basketball like Jordan and landed way wrong.

An onlooker made sure to tell me that I "missed the shot" when describing the event to my family and management...
Old 07-18-2016, 01:22 PM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

That sucks. Major injuries, especially broken ankles, are pretty common at those places.

It's not near as traumatic but I got my thumb jammed by one of the employees that was playing dodgeball like Roger Clements at one. A year later and it's still gorked up.

Speedy recovery!
Old 07-18-2016, 01:57 PM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,678 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by RRTEC
An onlooker made sure to tell me that I "missed the shot" when describing the event to my family and management...
Lawd! There's always one in the crowd that loves nothing more than to add insult to injury. Ha!

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:18 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Wish I had a cool story, but I don't. I was at an indoor trampoline park with my kids, tried to dunk a basketball like Jordan and landed way wrong.

Fun time is over. Rehab is about 60% of success with knee repair(various methods). Start slow, work small stuff but long. Interesting you went with an allograft. It'll be a year before you're dunking again.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:31 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Originally Posted by alpine003
Hopefully it's the right knee?
Originally Posted by docmirror
Fun time is over. Rehab is about 60% of success with knee repair(various methods). Start slow, work small stuff but long. Interesting you went with an allograft. It'll be a year before you're dunking again.
Not that I can change my mind now. But is the surprise good or bad in reference to the allograft. My surgeon highly recommended it vs the alternative.

I don't plan on dunking or jumping ever again... Accepting my age and finding some appropriate activities..
Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Best of luck with your eventual rehab. It will suck for awhile, but don't allow it to control your life. Did my Achilles 2/15 and used crutches for 10 weeks. PT will do wonders for you.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:16 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Not that I can change my mind now. But is the surprise good or bad in reference to the allograft. My surgeon highly recommended it vs the alternative.
Cadaver tissue is - well, it's from a cadaver. It's living tissue from a source which you had, nor have any control over. Now it's in you with all that implies. This is not a surgical issue, more of a sociological issue, but it's done now.

Also recommend a PT/INR test soon, and possibly a blood thinner depending on the results. Have someone test the surface temp of your foot compared to the other foot, and keep an eye out for color changes compared to the non-repaired side.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:44 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Well it's been 7 months since the "incident". Due to an injury I haven't made much progress at all in the last 3-4 months.

I have everything I need to put it back together. And I mean everything I literally am replacing everything. I was in the garage today staring at almost $7000 in parts sitting on my workbenches. I have been a little depressed recently. I thought it was from feeling useless, having to have people take care of me, etc but I realized that it's cool car withdrawal. Our other cars aren't fast or fun (Volvo xc90, Honda Fit, and a 65 F100). My 1965 truck is cool, but it's also not fast...I have a large single turbo 302 engine in the garage for that so I know that it sucks in comparison to what it will be when the turbo engine is In there..

I have been in massive cool car withdrawal. I almost loaded everything up Porsche related and took it to a shop to have them do the work. But I am actually really looking forward to doing the work myself and really getting to know my car intimately. I can't wait to rip down the road again in my reborn 996. I hope to have actual progress for you guys soon.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:49 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Hang in there, man. Go by the local dealership and take a test drive in something. You owe it to yourself.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:16 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Hang in there, man. Go by the local dealership and take a test drive in something. You owe it to yourself.
That is a genius idea!
Old 10-02-2016, 11:18 AM
RRTEC
Racer

Alrighty! Well I'm feeling a little more chipper so the work is resuming. I was organizing my parts getting ready for the push to assemble. I am taking my starter to have it rebuilt this week, I replaced the waterpump and thermostat, and have a few other odds and ends coming in the mail but my knee is a little more workable so I hope to have this back together before the end of thanksgiving.
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been in massive cool car withdrawal. I almost loaded everything up Porsche related and took it to a shop to have them do the work. But I am actually really looking forward to doing the work myself and really getting to know my car intimately. I can't wait to rip down the road again in my reborn 996. I hope to have actual progress for you guys soon.
Good luck healing & restoring the 996. I'm starting to plan fun stuff for winter to take the place of 996 fun. Cool car withdrawal is real; keep us updated with pics of the build. That way we can vicariously do the work without the skill!

Old 10-02-2016, 05:21 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Two tools I wished I had when I rebuilt mine, snap on torque wrench with added angle setting for engine stretch bolts and a tapered piston ring compressor instead of the banded type as they are a really tight fit!!
So if you can't buy anymore parts, buy tools 😃
Old 10-03-2016, 05:42 AM
Oil_Slickrick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news. Thanksgiving is late November so quite soon. Thanks for the update.

O_Sr
Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 PM
RRTEC
Racer

Man. Slow but steady. Rear Main Seal installed, IMS installed.... heads are next.

Last edited by RRTEC; 11-04-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Quick Reply: My Milkshake Brings all the Boys to the Yard....