Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bough a dirt cheap 996 w IMS issue, but still running. What to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 07:25 PM
martsink
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
Agreed and given the damaged IMS, you need to split the case to replace it anyway.

The other side of the IMS is a plain bearing riding on the main gear pump.

Do you know what kind is the broken bearing? Looks like steel ***** in the photos. It lasted only 25k miles? The reason for the previous rebuild was also the IMSB?
To be honest, I really don't know. It is possible that the previous owner opted out of the IMS bearing replacement during the rebuild. I'm trying to get my hands on the invoice to see exactly what the rebuild entailed.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

That's possible but unlikely...
unless that bearing had been replaced previously before the rebuild. Can you tell if the ***** are steel?

Originally Posted by martsink
To be honest, I really don't know. It is possible that the previous owner opted out of the IMS bearing replacement during the rebuild. I'm trying to get my hands on the invoice to see exactly what the rebuild entailed.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:42 PM
martsink
Instructor

That's possible but unlikely...
unless that bearing had been replaced previously before the rebuild. Can you tell if the ***** are steel?
I just checked with a magnet, the ***** are ferrous.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:53 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like the stock bearing. Not sure if there are others but I know FVD has a double row sealed replacement bearing (steel *****).

Curious to see what you find on the rebuild invoice.

I just checked with a magnet, the ***** are ferrous.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:52 PM
martsink
Instructor

Sounds like the stock bearing. Not sure if there are others but I know FVD has a double row sealed replacement bearing (steel *****).

Curious to see what you find on the rebuild invoice.
Here is the rebuild invoice. Looks like they did change the IMS bearing. Any idea what could be the reason for such quick failure?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:38 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Here is the rebuild invoice. Looks like they did change the IMS bearing. Any idea what could be the reason for such quick failure?
Do we know why it was "rebuilt" previously? (I thought you said in a previous post, but I don't see it in a quick scan)

$7500 and that parts list is more of a refresh rather than a rebuild. If that was done because something (like the IMSB) had failed it would also suggest that the motor was not completely cleaned out. If that was the case then another failure was just a matter of time.

Either Ahsai or AWDGuy have a good pic in their build thread that shows how well the debris can get hidden up in places that flushing won't get out. Eventually it becomes unstuck and has its way with your "rebuilt" motor.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:46 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

can you call UFP and ask them? I am really curious now what they did with the IMS....
Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 PM
martsink
Instructor

Originally Posted by gnat
Do we know why it was "rebuilt" previously? (I thought you said in a previous post, but I don't see it in a quick scan)

$7500 and that parts list is more of a refresh rather than a rebuild. If that was done because something (like the IMSB) had failed it would also suggest that the motor was not completely cleaned out. If that was the case then another failure was just a matter of time.

Either Ahsai or AWDGuy have a good pic in their build thread that shows how well the debris can get hidden up in places that flushing won't get out. Eventually it becomes unstuck and has its way with your "rebuilt" motor.
The owner said he had it rebuilt due to higher mileage, but all I have is his word.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:49 PM
martsink
Instructor

Originally Posted by AWDGuy
can you call UFP and ask them? I am really curious now what they did with the IMS....
I'll try giving the shop a call tomorrow. Do you think this is the kind of information the shops can disclose?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:58 PM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't see why they can't tell you the kind of IMS that was used in their rebuild. who knows though...
Old 02-15-2016, 05:55 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

I did the $7500 UFO rebuild and could not have been happier. I did it for a failed stock dual row IMS. Their $7500 rebuild comes with some no name after market bearing. They said at the time they never had a failure. Guess this is number 1. I had them put in the LN bearing for an extra charge. At the time I was not sure if it was a good decision. Guess it was a good call.

Not sure of the timing of the split, but the two guys who ran it separated and one started 9xx motorsports so you may want to call them.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

There's a decent set of clips a guy did rebuilding his boxster on YouTube if you search 986fix, engine is the same as 996, it will give you some insight into what you are facing, I've just rebuilt my 996, there's a lot to learn and as others have said its not cheap, you will spend two grand just on consumable parts like new shells , stretch bolts , gasket set , rings !! Rings are expensive!! Valve guides , new ims don't forget, then tools , don't want to put you off just know it's a commitment !!
Old 02-15-2016, 08:17 PM
martsink
Instructor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I did the $7500 UFO rebuild and could not have been happier. I did it for a failed stock dual row IMS. Their $7500 rebuild comes with some no name after market bearing. They said at the time they never had a failure. Guess this is number 1. I had them put in the LN bearing for an extra charge. At the time I was not sure if it was a good decision. Guess it was a good call.

Not sure of the timing of the split, but the two guys who ran it separated and one started 9xx motorsports so you may want to call them.
Thanks for the info
Old 02-15-2016, 09:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Can you post some better and more close up pictures of the IMS bearing? If it was an aftermarket unit, there should be a spacer to make up the difference between the stock bearing width and the aftermarket unit.

Take it all apart and have a good look how the engine looks like on the inside, then make a decision what to do. There are a few of us here that either rebuilt them or did extensive repairs to them. I have mine half way done and in the process off re assembling it...has been sitting idle while I finish another project.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:44 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

The owner said he had it rebuilt due to higher mileage, but all I have is his word.
And the shop's word for that matter...That invoice is for all intents and purposes useless/meaningless!!! No parts prices, no labor prices nothing...There is no way in hell I would ever pay on an invoice like that...

Quick Reply: Bough a dirt cheap 996 w IMS issue, but still running. What to look for?