996 Targa Sunshade Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 08:05 PM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Targa Sunshade Install

Hi there,

I'm brand new to the site and joined because of a recent problem with my 02' Targa retractible sunshade. The plastic clips that are inserted at either end of the sunshade itself have snapped and subsequently the shade is disengaged from the rails. I finally was able to locate a 997 sunshade repair kit directly from Porsche which uses the same parts for the 996. My question is, how do you get the shade back into the track??? With the new clips inserted at either end, it looks as if you'd had to disassemble some of the roof to get it mounted without breaking the clips.. Has anyone shared this same problem??? I can't seem to find anything online.. Naturally the dealer has told me the entire roof would need to be taken out which doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. Thanks so much in advance & happy to be a new member!!! Alan
Old 02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[URL="http://http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/911_targa_(996)/f6-3.6l/body_and_frame/roof_and_associated_components/sunroof/moonroof/sun_shade/component_information/service_and_repair/"[/URL]
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2016, 09:45 AM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Thanks!

I have seen this breakdown for the removal.. The problem is it implies you can angle the sunshade any which way to either release or install. The reality is you can't because the side rail / guides that the sunshade fits into, are fixed. I'm not sure if you have to remove the motor therefore allowing the guides to move freely without the resistance of the gears. The dealer isn't much help - they didn't even know a repair kit was available.. I found that out through calling independent shops in the U.S. - I got the part number through them and only then could I order through the dealer. How does a dealer not even know these parts are available? Anyway, thanks again!
Old 02-07-2016, 11:13 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Sweet. TargaARH can you share the part number for the kit? It sounds like the same part I was looking for but gave up last year. I could find the entire sunshade for $400-500 but I was hoping to find just the clips. The part number for the sunshade itself is 99756240500
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ind-shade.html

I'm pretty sure that the sunshade 'bow' can be installed by inserting one side first, and then positioning the bow on an angle so that the other side can be inserted closer to the front of the car. The guide will pick up the sunshade clips the next time the sunshade is opened. I haven't done it yet, but I think the trick will be getting the right amount of tension on the roller of the sunshade.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:17 PM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Hey Kevin,

It's funny you should write me.. I actually saw your post from last summer and was going to send you the information regarding the replacement clips. Here's the part number for left and right side respectively:

If you need a picture or anything of the packaging let me know.. What you will receive in the kit is that plastic clip for the end of the sunshade (you posted a pic of) in addition to a new flexible guide that links to the motor. Even though I only need the passenger side for now, I ordered both sides as a precaution. Each package is $59.99. I ordered them form Downtown Porsche on King St. in Toronto 416-603-9988

What you will find is that the pieces from this repair kit are a beefed up version and less likely to snap. They do, however, fit with ease into the sunshade ends. I have them installed already. The problem again is how do you engage them into the guides? Is that why you get the new guides in the kit as well?

I was thinking to somehow disengage the motor and move each side independently to install at the correct angle and then place square to the roof opening and attach the motor assembly again.

I do not think the shade clips will pick up the guides once they cross as you suggested because all pieces involved are fixed and have zero give.

The bow is different in that the side retaining clips slide up and down allowing for an easy angled install.

Good luck and let me know if you need any additional info on the part numbers I provided.

Again, the parts are specifically called "997 Sun Blind Repair Kit"
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Nice. That just made my day. I didn't way to pay for the full blind mostly because it felt very wrong. I'll order both sides since I have it out already.

Thanks Alan for the detailed response. I have a few other parts that I need to order from Porsche (replacement brake line since I stripped the heads on two of the lines when installing SS ones) so I'll add these into the order.

I'll try to take a look at how the shade fits in the car again today. My recollection was that I just inserted the blind with the sunshade fully closed, and the guides picked up the bow clips once they passed. But it has been a while already so I'll have to check again.

I haven't seen that many 996 targas in Ontario. Nice to know I'm not completely alone (I'm in Waterloo). What colour is your car?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:30 PM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Hey you're very welcome... I know first hand how frustrating this process can be and it still isn't over. I couldn't accept either buying an entire sunshade just for a $2 piece of plastic.. Didn't make any sense. Hopefully your theory works for the install! My Targa is silver.. The lightest version of the silver on black. Good luck again!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:50 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Be glad you don't need to replace the entire roof. I am told it's over $12k
Old 05-31-2016, 11:56 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Hi Alan,

Did you ever get your sun blind installed? I'm about 3/4 of the way through mine and I plan on finishing it tomorrow night.
I ordered the kit for both sides from London Porsche. Very happy that you found those for me!

I have installed the 'gear tube' on both sides since the kit included replacements. It turns out that the 'gear tube' was my problem in the first place. The drivers side guide had broken from the gear tube which probably put too much pressure on the plastic piece on the other side of the shade.

I didn't actually put the blind in yet since I have to figure how much to wind it before installing. The porsche service manual is pretty weak and doesn't describe that at all.

But I'm pretty sure you are right that you'll need to remove the motor in order to install the blind. With the motor out (which is easy) it should be possible to line up the guides so the blind can be inserted on an angle.
I'll hopefully confirm that tomorrow. But if you have completed this and have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Kevin
Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 AM
tilfo2000
AutoX

I have an (at least so far) perfectly working targa top. Would any pix or video be helpful.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:33 AM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kgoertz
Hi Alan,

Did you ever get your sun blind installed? I'm about 3/4 of the way through mine and I plan on finishing it tomorrow night.
I ordered the kit for both sides from London Porsche. Very happy that you found those for me!

I have installed the 'gear tube' on both sides since the kit included replacements. It turns out that the 'gear tube' was my problem in the first place. The drivers side guide had broken from the gear tube which probably put too much pressure on the plastic piece on the other side of the shade.

I didn't actually put the blind in yet since I have to figure how much to wind it before installing. The porsche service manual is pretty weak and doesn't describe that at all.

But I'm pretty sure you are right that you'll need to remove the motor in order to install the blind. With the motor out (which is easy) it should be possible to line up the guides so the blind can be inserted on an angle.
I'll hopefully confirm that tomorrow. But if you have completed this and have any tips I'd love to hear them.

Kevin

Hey Kevin! Happy to hear it's underway! I actually haven't attempted mine yet, but was planning for this wknd perhaps. So what exactly did you have to remove to get this point by way of roof panels? I know there's the main one at the rear that pulls off easily to expose the motors and blind itself. How did you install the new tubes? Did any side panels need to be removed that run above the windows? Was your roof open or closed for this? I'm guess for the blind it's a matter of tightening the roll until there's no slack.. Meaning just past the verge of being tightly rolled. This has ignited my interest again to get going.. It's been bothering me for quite some time. I'm interested to know what steps exactly got you to this point. Thanks & I will keep you posted as well! Alan
Old 06-01-2016, 12:39 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Nice. So I get to be the first to apply the 997 sun blind repair kit to the 996 sunshade?

I'll try to take some pictures tonight and document the DIY. It should help since it does take a few minutes to figure out how to do it and the service manuals are cryptic at best.

But feel free to PM me and I can give you my phone number since describing it verbally may be a bit faster.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:01 PM
porsche951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG I've had my Targa for a little over 3 years and thus far have had zero issues with the retracting roof. If I did have an issue I think I'd consider having the darkest tint available applied to the top and treat my Targa like it was a fixed roof coupe.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:18 PM
kgoertz
Pro

Originally Posted by porsche951
OMG I've had my Targa for a little over 3 years and thus far have had zero issues with the retracting roof. If I did have an issue I think I'd consider having the darkest tint available applied to the top and treat my Targa like it was a fixed roof coupe.
You do realize that this discussion about about the sun blind only right?

I've had my Targa for more than 8 years and haven't had any issues other than a little squeaking and now a broken sun shade.
And this appears to be fairly easy to fix with ~$100 worth of parts from Porsche. Or ~$400 to completely replace the sun blind with a thicker one. Hardly worth writing-off the roof.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
996TargaARH
7th Gear

Originally Posted by kgoertz
Nice. So I get to be the first to apply the 997 sun blind repair kit to the 996 sunshade?

I'll try to take some pictures tonight and document the DIY. It should help since it does take a few minutes to figure out how to do it and the service manuals are cryptic at best.

But feel free to PM me and I can give you my phone number since describing it verbally may be a bit faster.
Awesome! Good luck with it tonight. I'm going to revisit mine as well. I'll definitely shoot you a message if this comes to a standstill. Again I think the secret is to disengage the motor for the angular attachment of the shade. But didn't you have to do this already to get the gear tubes in?

Quick Reply: 996 Targa Sunshade Install