996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Targa Sunshade Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2021, 08:09 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

2002 Targa, when the sunscreen is slid back it stops about 4 to 5" and then makes the gear grinding/slipping noise.
Screen will fully close with no difficulty.
Glass slides backwards and forwards with no issues.

I'm getting ready to work on it and thought I would ask the collective for any insight(s).

Last edited by PaulD_944S2; 04-27-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:31 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 690 Posts

I just finished replacing my targa sunshade, thanks in no small part to this thread. One thing I will add is that the rear edge of the sunshade cover (the first thing taken off) sits in a groove in a rubber piece. I was unable to reinstall the cover with the rear edge in that groove; I had to pop it straight up and on, then use some plastic interior tools to slip the back edge into the groove. See picture below.

While reassembling everything I had a small disaster and the whole works fell back out. In the process one of the tabs for the center bow holders broke off. Here's how I fixed it, apologies for not taking pictures:
  • found a small self tapping screw whose threads slide into the end of the hollow bow piece
  • drilled a hole in the broken center bow holder, in line with the tab's former location
  • installed screw to ensure fitment and freedom of movement of bow holder
  • removed screw
  • ground screw head down to match profile of hollow end of bow piece
  • reinserted screw in bow holder
  • finished reassembly

Rear edge of cover in its groove. This is looking from the back of the car facing forward.

Last edited by wdb; 03-11-2022 at 05:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
keviha (03-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2024, 04:20 PM
dangerdevon
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by awisernig
Great thread! My sun shade hasn't been retracting correctly and this gave me enough confidence to diagnose it instead of paying a dealer. I removed the motor and it turns out that the issue is that the guide on the passenger side is broken. I know it's been a while but @kgoertz , do you remember how you went about removing the broken gear tube? Did you have to remove a bunch of trim? Any help is super appreciated.

Thanks!
Adrian
How did you repair end up going? I have the same problem as you did; my passenger side guide is also broken. I can't figure out how to remove the broken guide. I got as far as removing the motor, and undoing most of the screws that hold the copper tubes in place but once I got to the corner I wasn't able to proceed because I didn't know how to get this mesh trim off and out of the way. I got it off the T-connector but pulling down felt risky as it felt pretty fixed in place. Even with that copper guide tubing completely unmounted, it also didn't seem clear how the guide would actually come out and how I would insert the new one. Any tips from your experience?

Old 02-11-2024, 04:25 PM
dangerdevon
6th Gear

Hey @996TargaARH did you ever get the fabric liner off? I have the same problem as you. Got it off the T-connector but pulling anywhere feels really uneasy.
Old 02-11-2024, 06:51 PM
awisernig
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been a while but it ended up working out well. I removed the motor, and partly disconnected the copper tubes. Inside the tubes there were these worm gears i was then able to slide out. From what I remember, the most annoying part was getting things aligned again before putting the motor in: I put the new worm gear with guide, lined up the shade diagonally to get it to fit, straightened it out and resembled.

Here's some photos I found from the experience:

Old 02-12-2024, 04:43 PM
dangerdevon
6th Gear

Nice work! Do you have any recollection of how you detached the section I circled in red? Mounting points 3 and 4 probably just pull away from the window? But point 2 appears to require you to remove a fastener. Maybe that's why it seems so sketchy to try to pull down.

Old 04-12-2024, 06:50 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Its in the 90s here in Scottsdale, Az and the OEM sunshade is bad. I enjoyed in the winter time but the summer is going to be hell if I dont replace it. Thanks for the info
Old 04-13-2024, 01:32 PM
Idaho911
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by dangerdevon
Nice work! Do you have any recollection of how you detached the section I circled in red? Mounting points 3 and 4 probably just pull away from the window? But point 2 appears to require you to remove a fastener. Maybe that's why it seems so sketchy to try to pull down.
IMG_2839.MOV

If you haven't found the answer aleady.

Quick Reply: 996 Targa Sunshade Install