Sponsored by:

Carbon Fibre

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Chucksta
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbon Fibre

I'm thinking of ordering the 3 straight pieces of carbon fibre that goes under the airbag cover and across the dash.

Are there different parts for a RHD car? I noticed the "AIRBAG" lettering is on the wrong side of the big piece for a RHD car.

Does carbon fibre make the interior look cheap??

Has anyone ordered these parts from Gert at Carnewal.com? Are they original Porsche carbon fibre parts?
Old 10-04-2003, 07:53 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LHD and RHD have different part numbers for all 3 pieces. Jeff
Old 10-04-2003, 09:37 AM
Keyvan
Racer

I think Carbon is the best looking trim you can get. The problem is that it does not photograph well because of the way it reflect the camera flash. It looks very shiny in pictures but in person it's much deeper. It's also very easy to clean.

Old 10-04-2003, 01:51 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they are different lhd and rhd just speficy from gert. Have fun putting them in. They have a bunch of bolts in them so you have to pry them out and then glue them in or if your lucky press them in from the holes that are left. You have to be careful not to mangle the dash doing so. Carniwal is the place to get them if you can't find them on ebay or anywhere else cheaper.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Itzkirb
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 269 Posts

Hey Keyvan

What's the option code to get the steering wheel on the other side? hahahaha

j/k
Old 10-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Chucksta
Instructor

They have a bunch of bolts in them?

How on earth do you install them? Are the old pieces destroyed when u pry them out?
Old 10-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Keyvan
Racer

Yeah...well i might be moving back to the states in a couple of month so back the the left side and definitely manual.

Any one here live in Atlanta? Never been
Old 10-05-2003, 02:01 AM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah they have bolts on the back of them. If you pry them nicely it simply stretches the hole a tad and then you reinset and leave either by pressure fit or adhesive. I have heard other people doing it succesfully. I tried and it scared me too much. It seems you will damage the dash if you don't know what your doing!
Old 10-05-2003, 01:55 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I did it on my cab, when I changed out all the speckled gray to Carbon Fiber.. here are the details..

Ok here is the deal with removing these things.....

1. First you must remove Both AC Vents, and the Upper Center Console...
The strips are held in from screws behind the dash, but reaching them is a waist of time!
2. The 2 small strips will pop out with some force, just take a flat head screwdriver and tap it in behind the strip. The screws will pop out from the back of the dash... The dash is a hard plastic material and the screw heads are small so they will come right through the dash..

3. The long piece across the passanger side was fun... Tape the dash will several pieces of tape to protect the dash in case you slip.
These pieces have 2 layers to them.. take a flat head screwdriver and open the top part of the stip.. This is a picture of the left piece cause I didn't take a picture of this on the long piece..

It will look like this once you peel off the top layer..you can see the top of the scew holes after you peel off the top layer

Now my stereo installer had the next idea.. he took a small soldering gun like this...

and heated up the head of the screw that is seen from the top side..
this made the area around the screw soft, and then I took the screwdriver behind the remaining strip and pried it right off.. it broke off to every screw head.. we just did this right along and 10 minutes later it was all out.. Be sure to not get the solder gun to close the the leather.. just keep it on for about 30 seconds.. it really is helpful if one guy holds the solder gun while the other removes the strip.

The top piece is the stripped piece.. the bottom is the whole piece that was pulled out from the middle.

Installing the new pieces was simple, a little silicone behind them helped the stay in place but its not needed..

Link to more High Res Pics
Old 10-05-2003, 02:22 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, a local Boxster owner changed the long piece under the passenger air bag by prying hard enough to remove the strip.

Then we met him to do a trip computer retrofit, which means we remove the steering wheel. Once the wheel was off he removed the trim that goes around the steering column. Then he could get his hand behind the dash in the area were the 2 small pieces are. Each piece has 2 #10 torx screws. With a torx bit he was able to remove 2 screws and 1 piece. On the other side he could only get to 1 of the 2 screws, but once he removed 1 screw then it was easy to pry on the piece so that the screw pulled out of the trim. With a magnetic pick up tool we got all the screws out from behind the dash. Jeff

Quick Reply: Carbon Fibre