IMS Bearing ALMOST failed

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 02:54 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by langg
Side note.

Anyone know what the (approximate) engine number cut off is for the dual row bearing?

Thanks,

Lang G
If this can help but use with care: I made this note in my '00 996 document a few years ago from either a Rennlist or Renntech post:

- Double-row IMS: Engine #s up to 661 14164
- Single-row IMS: Engine #s from 661 14165

It seems that late '00s might be single-rows and 01's could be either without rimes or reasons.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:21 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by JMLavoie
If this can help but use with care: I made this note in my '00 996 document a few years ago from either a Rennlist or Renntech post:

- Double-row IMS: Engine #s up to 661 14164
- Single-row IMS: Engine #s from 661 14165

It seems that late '00s might be single-rows and 01's could be either without rimes or reasons.
Thats inaccurate. We see them all the time that do not follow this directive. Any 2000 or 2001 model could have either bearing. A visual inspection is required.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM
JMLavoie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Jake, I stand corrected! You have credibility, ... I don't!
No probs!
Old 01-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Jake, would a magnetic drain oil plug pickup the IMS particles?
Some, but not all.. Some is not enough.

If a bearing has began to fail, the bearing has already failed as far as we are concerned. The engine will always see some sort of collateral damage from debris thats large enough for the eye to see, no matter how fine that may be. No, the factory oil filter will not remove all of this, especially with it's suck *** bypass design that bleeds oil by the filter at every cold start.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:38 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't believe I missed this IMSB thread for 4 days. So some more questions.

With the case damage shown will the flange still seal and hold the assembly secure? How much damage to the cams, crank, etc? C'mon, more info.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:21 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know yet, I'm sure he'll have a solution. Oil had been seeping out, but not enough that I ever saw any oil on the garage floor.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:44 PM
jmj951
Pro

I stopped by the shop again today. The builder confirmed that the crank and camshafts were in excellent condition (they were fully inspected and measured) and are being reused. The cylinder heads were not damaged, but had to be completely disassembled for ultrasonic cleaning anyway, so they got a full rebuild. As I mentioned before, the original intermediate shaft will not be used, he'll be installing a new OEM NOS intermediate shaft. Virtually everything else is being replaced, and in some cases 997 parts are being used, such as the chain tensioners which were significantly upgraded for the 997 to include large springs that help ensure that there is tension before oil pressure builds.

He said the damage to the sealing surface for the IMS bearing cap is not a big problem, he can clean that up, and said he's actually worked with other blocks where this was in much worse condition and he was able to remediate it.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:20 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

"He said the damage to the sealing surface for the IMS bearing cap is not a big problem, he can clean that up, and said he's actually worked with other blocks where this was in much worse condition and he was able to remediate it."

That's good to hear! Did he mention how he plans to "remediate" it? Removal of material (i.e. grinding /machining) will create a sealing problem - afaik there are no oversized IMS flanges available... Maybe add material/weld and re-machine back to original spec.?
Old 01-30-2016, 04:16 PM
jmj951
Pro

Originally Posted by dporto
"He said the damage to the sealing surface for the IMS bearing cap is not a big problem, he can clean that up, and said he's actually worked with other blocks where this was in much worse condition and he was able to remediate it."

That's good to hear! Did he mention how he plans to "remediate" it? Removal of material (i.e. grinding /machining) will create a sealing problem - afaik there are no oversized IMS flanges available... Maybe add material/weld and re-machine back to original spec.?
I didn't dig that far. I ask questions but try to walk the line between personal interest and sounding like I'm second-guessing him.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:21 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
I didn't dig that far. I ask questions but try to walk the line between personal interest and sounding like I'm second-guessing him.
Second guessing him is when you start telling him how to do it (which you have every right to do as well if you feel he is not doing something to your satisfaction).

He should be happy to answer any question you have about the work so that you understand what is happening and how it will effect your engine in the long term. If not, then he isn't someone you want working on your car.

Certainly don't waste his time with simple stuff, but something like this is important and you need to be satisfied with his answer.
Old 01-30-2016, 08:16 PM
jmj951
Pro

If it was a shop I wasn't sure I could trust, I would want to know everything. In this case though, I'm working with a top tier builder, and he's happy to let me stop in any time. I went to him upon recommendation from the other German shop in town and local PCA club officers. Looking around the Internet, I've seen nothing but glowing reviews from everyone, including Charles Navarro of LN Engineering (who among many things also designed the IMS retrofit with Flat6).
Old 01-30-2016, 08:58 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I get that. All I'm saying is that asking questions doesn't mean you don't trust them or anything like that. Just that you are interested in the process and results. Of course if you aren't, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just super interested in that kind of stuff even if it's not something I could put into practice. How things work just fascinates me
Old 01-31-2016, 09:05 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I get that... I'm just super interested in that kind of stuff even if it's not something I could put into practice. How things work just fascinates me

^Me too^ I didn't mean to come off like I didn't believe what they were doing, just trying to understand their process/techniques... I love the idea of fixing things instead of throwing them away and starting new - although I also understand that there is a time/place for that as well. There's just way too much of "that can't be fixed" type of attitude due to sheer laziness, incompetence or greed (or all three) for my comfort. Once again, best of luck with the motor!

Quick Reply: IMS Bearing ALMOST failed