Sponsored by:

996.2 sterio options , iPod input etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 12:33 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996
I tried a couple of those fm units but wasn't happy with them .

I may just end up getting a new head unit .
Was it a FM transmitter or a hardwired FM input module? I'm not keen on the units that transmit the signal for the radio to pickup but I do want to try the "hardwired version".
Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by suprmedic
I bought a FM transmitter and really have been surprised at how well it works. Get one that plugs into the lighter socket and connects to your phone via blue tooth.This link will help you find the best station to use in any location.... Not as clean as the above but for $20.... its not bad.
http://www.siriusxm.com/frequency/
I got something similar with USB power and installed a USB converter behind the horseshoe

http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...-dash-usb.html
Old 01-22-2016, 08:14 AM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by craig001
The car I bought has the iSimple Tranzit unit. It works on FM (you set the freq using their app) once you pair the phone. After getting the car back home I downloaded the app, paired my phone and set it to preset button 10 (furthest right). I have the CDC-23 with changer and Bose so it's the MOST set-up. Looked it up on Amazon and it is inexpensive, user friendly and has good reviews. Looked at a car with the Dension Gateway and it seems nice but is relatively expensive.
I echo this. It's a great little unit with excellent sound. The phone capabilities work exceptionally well. I have a Cab and no issues using with the top down. This unit is hard wired into the antenna input on the Bose unit and that makes for a very clean signal. Amazon has them for a reasonable cost.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:02 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Three different iSimples?

IS32 Tranzit USB; IS31 Antenna Bypass; iSimple Tranzit BLU HF. Is anyone sufficiently familiar with these offering to distill the differences for us (for me, at least)?

I am studying a new head unit right now, in part because of the no aux in problem (I have Bose-CDR23-MOST), but also because my head unit is getting more and more tricky, with the random re-sets. At $25.00, i'm probably ready to gamble on getting a few more years out of the head unit. At 80.00, maybe not.

Alpine seems to have a very nice head unit. The main issue appears to be that a new power amp is required, which adds cost, and winds up taking a lot of space in the frunk. Anyone familiar with a 5-channel power amp that will fit on the ledge?
Old 01-22-2016, 10:23 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like I am going to order from here:

http://cai-store.com
Old 01-22-2016, 12:51 PM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

The Tranzit in my car is the HF. Microphone is run to the lower corner of the A-pillar tucked into where it meets the dash. For as much as I don't use a cellphone when driving it fits my needs.

You can get last years Alpine (can't remember model) or Pioneer 8000 for under $600 if you want GPS as well as BT, USB and Aux inputs. They are 7" Double DINs,

If you want to keep the Bose/MOST amp set-up then you'll need to pick up the NAV-T transcoder box. If not, you wire into your existing speaker wiring up in the frunk. The NAV-T set-up costs around $600 as well but you get a fairly recent head unit and compatibility with MOST. There is more one these on the TT boards.

I am keeping the current set up as I am slaloming down the self-improvement slope and I have only had the car two and a half weeks, LOL.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:17 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Originally Posted by craig001
The Tranzit in my car is the HF. Microphone is run to the lower corner of the A-pillar tucked into where it meets the dash. For as much as I don't use a cellphone when driving it fits my needs.

You can get last years Alpine (can't remember model) or Pioneer 8000 for under $600 if you want GPS as well as BT, USB and Aux inputs. They are 7" Double DINs,

If you want to keep the Bose/MOST amp set-up then you'll need to pick up the NAV-T transcoder box. If not, you wire into your existing speaker wiring up in the frunk. The NAV-T set-up costs around $600 as well but you get a fairly recent head unit and compatibility with MOST. There is more one these on the TT boards.

I am keeping the current set up as I am slaloming down the self-improvement slope and I have only had the car two and a half weeks, LOL.
Craig, if this is a way to (1) swap the head unit (I will need a single DIN unit) while (2) retaining the stock power amp, I would love to know more about it. I have searched using "NAV-T transcoder box", and can't find anything. Can you supply any more specifics about what sounds like an adapter either from the head to the MOST harness, or a harness from aftermarket head units into the Stock power amp? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thebowl

I am studying a new head unit right now, in part because of the no aux in problem (I have Bose-CDR23-MOST), but also because my head unit is getting more and more tricky, with the random re-sets. At $25.00, i'm probably ready to gamble on getting a few more years out of the head unit. At 80.00, maybe not.

Alpine seems to have a very nice head unit. The main issue appears to be that a new power amp is required, which adds cost, and winds up taking a lot of space in the frunk. Anyone familiar with a 5-channel power amp that will fit on the ledge?
I used a Power Acoustik RZ5-2500D ($134), which fit perfectly, sounds great, and capable of driving the 2 ohm speakers (connected the rear seat area speakers directly to the HU.)

If you go to a 2DIN unit (I used an Eonon G2110F - $210) you'll also need a VW harness for the power and an Autoleads PC2-95-4 harness to adapt to the wiring that normally connects at the amp. You'll also need the wider shelf bin ($54) and climate control bezel ($18) if you move things in the typical way. You'll also need 4 rca type amp leads. Of course, if you change speakers, that will add significantly to the cost; but, I found the factory Bose worked great when the HU and amp were dialed in.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:14 PM
thebowl
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark I
I used a Power Acoustik RZ5-2500D ($134), which fit perfectly, sounds great, and capable of driving the 2 ohm speakers (connected the rear seat area speakers directly to the HU.)

If you go to a 2DIN unit (I used an Eonon G2110F - $210) you'll also need a VW harness for the power and an Autoleads PC2-95-4 harness to adapt to the wiring that normally connects at the amp. You'll also need the wider shelf bin ($54) and climate control bezel ($18) if you move things in the typical way. You'll also need 4 rca type amp leads. Of course, if you change speakers, that will add significantly to the cost; but, I found the factory Bose worked great when the HU and amp were dialed in.
Thanks, Mark. When I googled the harness, I got to Amazon in the UK. What's up with that?
Old 01-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by thebowl
Thanks, Mark. When I googled the harness, I got to Amazon in the UK. What's up with that?
I picked up the one I got in Germany some months back (Okt. 2015) on ebay.de for 9 Euros (item # 401001100981), but I don't see it listed now. If that's a better alternative, maybe you could shoot that seller a message and see if he still carries it.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 AM
craig001
Drifting

Here is a thread from 6speed online from a shop doing the conversion. I had a fairly wide search before ending up with the C4S. The 996TT has the NAV head unit that is very dated, so I was looking at replacement options and the 997.1 unit is similar. I just had to have the wide hips.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...eycustoms.html

And this from pistonhheads
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=985711

There are several threads here on Rennlist as well.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:15 AM
craig001
Drifting

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT00...x-porsche.html

https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT210/most-hur-997.html

Quick Reply: 996.2 sterio options , iPod input etc.