Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is the total oil capacity for a 996?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 10:53 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
That's not my experience when I dissembled an M96 engine. I didn't measure but I estimate around 1~2qts. No way the engine can hold 4 quarts w/o the sump. Most of the residual oil was in the bottom of the cam covers.
The info I posted was out of the Porsche factory 996 Turbo reference manual.

I did say the NA 996 would likely retain less oil than the ~4l the Turbo engine retains. The Turbo engine has those turbos, their oil supply/return lines, collector boxes, separate oil tank, more scavage pumps, etc.

If I had to "guess" I could come up with an ~2l amount of oil retained by the NA 996 engine.

There is the oil/water heat exchanger, the various engine oil galleys/passageways, lifters, chain tensioners, etc., and the engine crankcase and internal parts have a lot of surface area and these retain some oil. I do not think there are many places in the engine where oil pools/puddles -- these areas tend to be sludge producers so engine designers avoid creating these -- but of course if there are any well, this accounts for some of the oil retained.

I do know that the factory has a fill amount for a 20 (or with the newer engines a one hour) drain interval and a different fill amount for an overnight drain interval. To state the obvious if one lets the oil drain longer more oil will drain out as the oil drains away from the internal surfaces and passageways and flows to the sump and out the drain hole.

I do not know what the fill difference is for the same engine for a 20 minute/1 hour drain vs. an overnight drain.

With the car's VIN one could ask the parts department to look this up -- the factory issues refill amounts based on VIN's -- and have this info for future reference.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:05 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw that, Macster. My comment was directed toward rwiii when he said "About 4 quarts remain in the engine regardless of how much you drain from the sump. "

Originally Posted by Macster
The info I posted was out of the Porsche factory 996 Turbo reference manual.

I did say the NA 996 would likely retain less oil than the ~4l the Turbo engine retains. The Turbo engine has those turbos, their oil supply/return lines, collector boxes, separate oil tank, more scavage pumps, etc.

If I had to "guess" I could come up with an ~2l amount of oil retained by the NA 996 engine.

There is the oil/water heat exchanger, the various engine oil galleys/passageways, lifters, chain tensioners, etc., and the engine crankcase and internal parts have a lot of surface area and these retain some oil. I do not think there are many places in the engine where oil pools/puddles -- these areas tend to be sludge producers so engine designers avoid creating these -- but of course if there are any well, this accounts for some of the oil retained.

I do know that the factory has a fill amount for a 20 (or with the newer engines a one hour) drain interval and a different fill amount for an overnight drain interval. To state the obvious if one lets the oil drain longer more oil will drain out as the oil drains away from the internal surfaces and passageways and flows to the sump and out the drain hole.

I do not know what the fill difference is for the same engine for a 20 minute/1 hour drain vs. an overnight drain.

With the car's VIN one could ask the parts department to look this up -- the factory issues refill amounts based on VIN's -- and have this info for future reference.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

[QUOTE=Gretch;12937358]Often when I change the oil I let it drain over night. Once I replaced the oil catch basin with an empty 2# coffee can when the oil was down to drips......... I let the jack down so the car would sit flat (coffee can had clearance from bottom of crank case).

Came back the next day and coffee can was full and about a half a cup or so overflowed on to shop floor.

Mine is a 2000 C4. don't know if that matters, and not sure of there are oil lines that run up to an oil cooler in front.

Just like checking oil level, if the car isn't level you won't drain max oil from drainplug.

Design criteria of M96 engine was eliminating external oil lines.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:15 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fair enough Macster and Ahsai. I'll go with the ~2 quart estimate.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:56 PM
brianwad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the 996.2 (2001-2005) service manual. It states the engine capacity as 10.25 qts and the change quantity as 8.25 qts.

Oops sorry - LITRES.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:01 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok I have to ask. What is the point of this knowledge? If you aren't refilling a motor that has been completely disassembled and cleaned it's useless information as no matter what you do (sans disassembly) there will always be residual oil left in the system.

I get wanting to know and pass on info, but in the context of DIY oil changes this thread went a little wonky over useless (for the context) info.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:05 PM
brianwad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Knowledge is power?
Old 01-19-2016, 05:30 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

1) Change oil
2) know how much oil is still stuck in the motor
3) ???
4) Profit!!!

Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
Ok I have to ask. What is the point of this knowledge? If you aren't refilling a motor that has been completely disassembled and cleaned it's useless information as no matter what you do (sans disassembly) there will always be residual oil left in the system.

I get wanting to know and pass on info, but in the context of DIY oil changes this thread went a little wonky over useless (for the context) info.

Hey, I'm rather liking this thread! It's stuff I've pondered.

But, I love wonky useless info. I'm full of it.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:02 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey my eyes are brown, I'm not a quart low
Old 01-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 462 Likes on 301 Posts

Here's some additional wonky useless info.:

Old 01-24-2016, 10:40 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

I always try and give a very descriptive title to my posts so if you think it's useless you can skip over it. I don't do the "what part is this" or "guess what happened to me today". I have no problem with those titles but if you don't like what you see don't click it. .....and anything that Raby or Macster chime in on are definitely worth a look.
Live your life.
Old 01-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Water Hound
Racer

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Hey, I'm full of it
FIFY
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 AM
Southern Man
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm about to switch over from M1 to DT40. How important is it to get most of the old out, or does it really matter?
Old 01-25-2016, 11:31 AM
stever996
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It doesn't really matter. Honest.

Quick Reply: What is the total oil capacity for a 996?