Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

ok went to change the oil and found this...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 AM
Blk911
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this form because the way this thread started out. That was the same thing I saw when I did my first oil change on my 996. As a do it your self car maintenance guy, when I drained my oil in my new to me, '99 996 Porsche to see that gunk around my oil fill cap, it's very new to me.
Thanks to everyone for answering that its a moisture problem rather than a major one.
Just to hear that I need to drive my 911 more is more of a blessing than anything else.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:01 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Aftermarket filters/airboxes can upset the air flow past/through the MAF and cause problems. A misfire is a possibility.

Since you had the plug and the coil and the injector replaced this pretty much eliminates these. What is left is -- among other things -- the electrical connection the coil has with the engine wiring harness.

Also, what is that small K&N filter doing? Don't tell you disconnected the line from the intake to the AOS and are running some 1950's crankcase breather setup?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:53 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Aftermarket filters/airboxes can upset the air flow past/through the MAF and cause problems. A misfire is a possibility.

Since you had the plug and the coil and the injector replaced this pretty much eliminates these. What is left is -- among other things -- the electrical connection the coil has with the engine wiring harness.

Also, what is that small K&N filter doing? Don't tell you disconnected the line from the intake to the AOS and are running some 1950's crankcase breather setup?
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post12917152
Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 AM
AWDGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
I'd run it hard and let it heat up and keep it hot for a while. Most if not all of the moisture junk will go away, and the rest will go away after another drive.

No sense in changing the oil just for that.
like i said - if it was my car.

I'm coming from the subaru world where back to back oil changes cleans up the motor and would clear random codes.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Medevack1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Well the cel came back on this morning while I was sitting at a red light, the idle started to jump and the cel began to flash once I got the green and started moving ( around 15 mph ) the cel went away on its own and didn't come back, I also got cel 0430 under normal driving...... If I drive her HARD the 0302 cel will come on instantly and I will physically have to erase it either by disconnecting the battery or using the CEL scan
Old 01-14-2016, 12:11 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

How frequently you change the engine oil and oil filter? What's the oil pressure when it happened? It almost sounds like the cyl #2 intake valve lifter gets stuck at high lift intermittently.

Originally Posted by Medevack1
Well the cel came back on this morning while I was sitting at a red light, the idle started to jump and the cel began to flash once I got the green and started moving ( around 15 mph ) the cel went away on its own and didn't come back, I also got cel 0430 under normal driving...... If I drive her HARD the 0302 cel will come on instantly and I will physically have to erase it either by disconnecting the battery or using the CEL scan
Old 01-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 180 Posts

Possible causes of OBD code P0302
A code P0302 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector Burned exhaust valve Faulty catalytic converter(s) Running out of fuel Poor compression Defective computer

Possible Solutions
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back. If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
copied and paste from
http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-E...e/Default.aspx

didn't you replace a coil a few months ago, or all of them?
Old 01-27-2016, 10:22 PM
17yrsWith930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake lifter issue

Medevack1,
Please tell me if this link is helpful.
Mark
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...ermittent.html

Oh, and on the subject of the original discussion, yellow gunk, I believe it is a non-issue and has been talked about extensively.

Last edited by 17yrsWith930; 01-28-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM
theclutch
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OMG! It looks like cholesterol build up or fat!!! Engine needs some serious Lipitor!

Quick Reply: ok went to change the oil and found this...