Sponsored by:

Thought I hurt my engine, turns out I had too much oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM
Flatsix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thought I hurt my engine, turns out I had too much oil

So I'm new around here and purchased a 2001 Carrera 4 6spd in the beginning of December. The car came to me with a major service having just been done which included an oil change. After a couple weeks of getting to know you driving I started to drive a little harder. After a particular quick right hand turn I scanned my mirror and saw the best James Bond smoke screen I have ever seen. My heart skipped a beat, then sank. The car ran good no bad noises or check engine lights and no smoke on light throttle. I pulled over while running checked the tail pipes, pushed the gas a little still no smoke. So long story short after some searching on here and elsewhere I've learned of the AOS problem and potential flair ups with too much oil. I checked mine and on the gauge it showed one bar below max so I was ignorant as to the real level because it was past the plastic end, in fact about 1/4" onto the wire. I'd have to guess two quarts over. Instead of messing around with trying to get the level down I just dumped it all and did an oil/filter change. Put 8qts in started it, then shut it down and check again. Took about 1/3qt more to put it about 1/8" from the full mark. My dash gauge reads two bars from the max, I don't trust it much anymore. It's good for a general use I suppose but I've learned for myself as well as from this board the dip stick rules. I have not had another occurrence of smoke since and believe me if it was going to do it, it would have especially after my drive through the local mountains on Saturday.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:34 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 461 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah, I overfilled by a 1/2 quart once, and got the same James Bond smoke screen effect.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes the physical check is always the best which is what pisses me off about new cars ditching the dipstick

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Yeah, I overfilled by a 1/2 quart once, and got the same James Bond smoke screen effect.
Man smoke screens and oil slicks!

You're prepared for anything aren't you?
Old 01-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really?

Car takes around 10 quarts of oil, but as little as a 5% change will cause smoke?

Going to go out on a limb and say you were a little high to begin with.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:39 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So when you drained the oil, you also replaced the new filter and it still only held 8 and 1/3 quarts? That's odd.

I did frequent oil/filter changes on mine and it always took more than 9 quarts. I would also let it drain for a long time before refilling.

Its important to keep the oil level at max for the IMSB's health because the seals are surely compromised by now if your on the original.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KrazyK
So when you drained the oil, you also replaced the new filter and it still only held 8 and 1/3 quarts? That's odd.

I did frequent oil/filter changes on mine and it always took more than 9 quarts. I would also let it drain for a long time before refilling.

I'm honestly not that worried about getting every last drop of old oil out of it unless the filter has a bunch of junk in it or there is sluge. Reason being the 5000-5500 mile Mobile 1 oil I took out still looked like new, didn't smell, wasn't all that dirty, and would have easily been good for another few thousand miles. Then without a baffle, I'd personally rather run it a bit low than high.

Last edited by Chiamac; 01-05-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:55 AM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

I've noticed the gauge is sensitive to inclines, so take that into account if you don't have a level garage.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:12 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Going out on another limb and assuming KK is also a little high.
OK guys, we know i'm no fan of KK, but so far since he has been back from vacation he hasn't been up to his trolling antics.

Lets give it a rest unless he does start back up again please.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gnat
OK guys, we know i'm no fan of KK, but so far since he has been back from vacation he hasn't been up to his trolling antics.

Lets give it a rest unless he does start back up again please.

My bad, I'll edit my post if you want to edit out my quote.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

My bad, I'll edit my post if you want to edit out my quote.
I don't like changing history. You were just the unlucky one I picked, but it wasn't directed at just you
Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 PM
Flatsix
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK

Its important to keep the oil level at max for the IMSB's health because the seals are surely compromised by now if your on the original.

I thought it was a bit odd too because I fully expected to put 9qts in. Now that you all have brought up some good points, my driveway is slightly inclined, the car was backed in and the dip stick would have run towards the lowside if the engine because of the incline giving me a false reading. I may be low on oil now because I did not get a full reading, it was almost full. I'll check it hot on a level area and make sure to have the rest of my oil with me. The car did have the IMS upgrade done with the clutch about 15K miles ago so I feel it's in good shape but I would hate to harm it because of a bone head rooky mistake.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Really?

Car takes around 10 quarts of oil, but as little as a 5% change will cause smoke?

Going to go out on a limb and say you were a little high to begin with.
Yes, 1/2 quart over will cause smoke on the track. Not really a concern under normal driving conditions.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Yes, 1/2 quart over will cause smoke on the track. Not really a concern under normal driving conditions.

That makes for a interesting lap!

Originally Posted by Flatsix
I thought it was a bit odd too because I fully expected to put 9qts in. Now that you all have brought up some good points, my driveway is slightly inclined, the car was backed in and the dip stick would have run towards the lowside if the engine because of the incline giving me a false reading. I may be low on oil now because I did not get a full reading, it was almost full. I'll check it hot on a level area and make sure to have the rest of my oil with me. The car did have the IMS upgrade done with the clutch about 15K miles ago so I feel it's in good shape but I would hate to harm it because of a bone head rooky mistake.
With this engine it's really a good idea to check it on level as any overfill will get right into the cylinders and burn a lot easier than something upright or V6/8.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Yeah, a little too interesting. Got booted off until I drained some out.
Old 01-05-2016, 03:07 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, a little too interesting. Got booted off until I drained some out.

Did you have to clean off your seat?

Quick Reply: Thought I hurt my engine, turns out I had too much oil