keying ..polish prevention

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 02:30 PM
donnyj
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keying ..polish prevention

Hi Guys

Is there any car polish available which has a hard enough finish to prevent keying from scratching the paintwork...when I say keying I mean walking past the car and scraping a key or coin along the car fairly lightly ....not standing and heavily scraping the car which is obviously not protectable.

When new 911 arrives I would like to protect it from day 1 if possible.

Donny J
Old 09-27-2003, 03:40 PM
SYMA
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No such creature Donny, just keep a good coat of P21S or Blitz on it.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:37 PM
donnyj
Instructor

What is regarded as the hardest wax/polish? there are so many people saying so many different types are the best.

Donny J
Old 09-27-2003, 08:28 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zaino Brother's show car polish is the best...Optically perfect, unlike wax, for the deepest of shines...IMHO

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc
Old 09-28-2003, 02:15 AM
SYMA
Pro

Rockitman, I have to disagree with you on this one

I have tried and tested on my last 4 vehicles probably every top known brand of wax and polymer known. Of the carnaubas Blitz is by far the best at protection and lasts the longest. P21S concours is by far the best shine and depth, but not all that great at protection, however, I have just begun with P21S so the jury is still kinda out. Zaino didn't fair all that well on protection from water spotting but did shine nicely, but not on by Boxster S, it clouded on occasion. However on the Lexus I owned Zaino didn't cloud. Other polymer based protectants I've tried didn't last nearly as long as Blitz. Pinnacle does a nice job, but difficult to find, I I think Zymol products are complete hype, and half their line is owned by Turtle wax.
SO, right now P21S Concours is up front due to ease of application and lack of white residue left behind.
BTW, Beautiful GT3
Old 09-28-2003, 02:52 AM
Kerry
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will second syma's statement.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:03 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default keying protection

keying protection? What kind of neighborhood do you live in?
Nothing will protect the finish from key abuse.

As far as waxes I always find the claims as as to best shine etc just a bunch of mumbo jumbo. The real truth is nobody can tell what wax has been applied because shine is shine.
3M works fine for me
Old 09-28-2003, 10:06 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

i'm with the rockitman. if you follow the directions (i'm not implying that you didn't follow directions, syma...) zaino works really well. my 951 is satin black metallic - a very hard color to keep detailed - and zaino is the first product that i've used that resulted in a fantastic finish. strip the old wax off, use a good swirl mark remover (i use 3M) and then start the zaino process.

it was such a drastic difference that my girlfriends mom even noticed that my car looked better - but didn't know that i had changed wax.
Old 09-28-2003, 11:23 AM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Water spotting for me is not really a problem...My GT3 does not get wet. I have never had a clouding problem with Zaino and use it on my cayenne which does get wet. I guess it comes done to how much one washes and chammy's their vehicle, which in my case is quite often, albeit a PITA...One thing to also consider is UV protection(Zaino UV40) which wax does not offer and the fact that a polymer polish does not melt in the heat like wax which becomes sticky and can attract dirt, dust, pollutants, ect next to your paint and also requires more frequent applications because of this to maintain it's protection. Guru reports tested the following waxes:

The 46 Waxes Evaluated in the Wax Test Special Report

3M Perfect IT Show Car Paste Armor All Protective Barrier BlackFire
Blitz One Grand Collinite Marque D'Elegance Collinite Super Doublecoat
Eagle One Pure Carnauba Eagle One WET Polish & Wax Finish First World Class Auto Polish
Formula 113 Gliptone Original Carnauba Paste Gliptone Platinum Series Paste
Griot's Garage Best of Show Griot's Garage Carnauba Wax Kit Carnauba Paste
Klasse All-In-One & Sealant Glaze Lemon Pledge (just for fun) Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish
Malm's Carnauba Meguiar's #16 Paste Wax Meguiar's #19 Professional Cleaner/Wax
Meguiar's #26 High-Tech Meguiar's Gold Class Meguiar's Medallion
Meguiar's Quik Wax Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Mothers California Gold Pure Carnauba
Nu Finish P21S Concour Look Carnauba Pinnacle Paste Glaz Carnauba
Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Prestone Bullet Wax Race Glaze
Rain Dance Premium Rally Cream Wax The Wax Shop Super Glaze Liquid
Turtle Wax Emerald Series Turtle Wax Extreme Cleaner Wax Turtle Wax Finish 2001
Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell Wizards Shine Master Zaino Brothers Show Car Polish
Zymol Carbon Carnauba Zymol Concours Carnauba Zymol SUV (Zurtle) Natural Liquid
Zymol Titanium Carnauba

Zaino won!!!

http://www.gurureports.org/specialreports/waxtest2.html

I am sold on the product...It lasts the longest, and if you followed the complete procedure, including clay barring the car prior to application along with the polish lock or zfx accelerater, it is smooth as silk and shines very deep. Bug splats just wipe off with a damp towel... I will never use a carnuba wax product again, and Zaino Z-2 does not have the white residue. Just my humble opinion...
Old 09-28-2003, 05:36 PM
SYMA
Pro

I was a Zaino user for probably 3+ years. Aside from spotting it did nicely on the lexus. How long a product lasts is really no concern for me as I wax at least every 3-5 weeks, and the worst of wax lasts that long unless your washing the car with laundry soap or dawn dish liquid. I personally use P21S shampoo.

My regimen includes: 3M Imperial hand glaze and/or P21S Paintwork Cleanser. Followed by either Blitz or P21S Concours wax. I use only pure white cotton towells made in USA washed in hot water, no dryer sheets. And Micro fiber from Griots.. WARNING!! ALL micro fiber towell edging WILL scratch, especially the corners where they melt the fiber to prevent it from coming apart. So ball it up carefully with no exposed stitching. Oh, BTW I use a Toro electric leaf blower to dry. This blower is used only for car, and another word of caution.... when holding the blower near the ground turn the inlet side up away from the ground to prevent sucking up a small stone or dust and blowing it at your finish at 170mph. But usually the ground all around the car is wet and eliminates this. Using the Toro is just one less step in touching the finish and thus introducing fine scratches. And ALWAYS use straight lines in washing, polishing, and waxing.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:41 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

SYMA,

I like the toro electric leaf blower trick, I may need to pick up one. Does it really work well??? How long to dry the car with it?
Old 09-28-2003, 05:50 PM
SYMA
Pro

5 minutes. Do the mirrors first If you do the hood and front fenders then the mirrors you'll have to do the hood again. Also as long as you have a good coat of CARNAUBA on the GT3 the water will bead and blow right off. Another plus to the blower is that it gets 99% of the water trapped in the crevices that usually ruins your newly detailed car after just a short drive.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:04 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no wax to prevent key scratching that protects metal against metal. Only protection is to use the clear film for high impact areas. Wax is too soft.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:27 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Well guys, after reading all these posts, I think I might attempt washing and waxing my 03P2 and see how it goes. Generally speaking, I am a sick golfer, 3-4times a wk. But, once a month might be workable. I've always had a service caring for my autos at either my home or office... But, maybe it's time to change that. Lot's of good info here. Thanks

Quick Reply: keying ..polish prevention