Sponsored by:

Out of state purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 06:44 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Out of state purchase

Considering an out-of-state, sight unseen purchase from a private party.
If anyone has done this, can you shoot me a PM - would like to pick your brain for a couple of minutes.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:24 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sight unseen....worst idea ever.
Seriously with the amount of 996's for sale why would you commit to a car without seeing it personally?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:39 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

^^Distance and my available time with the upcoming holidays.
This would only be considered with a PPI from a very reputable indy, which has already been discussed.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:18 AM
Tonyr313
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you can fly to the city the seller is in and purchase upon completion of PPI and your inspection? Drive it back home. How far away is the seller? What if there are more cosmetic defects etc that you can tell from photos

Originally Posted by hollywood1053
^^Distance and my available time with the upcoming holidays.
This would only be considered with a PPI from a very reputable indy, which has already been discussed.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:38 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

While searching for my car early on I can relate to the impulse buy mind set, as I almost made the same mistake. I live in TX and 2 cars that made my list were located in Chicago both at dealerships. It's funny but after talking with the salesman over the phone I was 100% invested in this car with check book waiting. These cars for some reason grab hold and don't let go. After pulling myself out a little I realized that the idea of spending my hard earned cash sight unseen was foolish at best. It sounds like you are trying to rush the purchase due to time constraints and with these or any high end purchase can lead to regret.

I say take your time, but if this is the car then I would find a reputable shop and explain the logistics. Many people here I'm sure live in the area close to the car and could go take a look at it before you invest in a ppi. They will know what to look for and will be able to give you a preliminary honest review.

In the end of about a year of searching I lucked out and found a car within 250 miles of my house and was able to put eyes on it before committing to a ppi.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:44 AM
varsorama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Chicago and bought my 996 from a Porsche dealer in Florida...sight unseen. While they did show it had a Porsche remanufactured engine put in at 65k, there was a bunch of stuff I had to address when I bought it. Luckily they refunded me $3,500 via check after I had a talk with them So didn't work out too bad. Sometimes emotions get the best of you. Wont happen again!
Old 11-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 973 Posts

I bought my 996 C4S in California and drove it home. I had a PPI done in California and the seller was very helpful in arranging this. I did have the right to walk away from the deal when I saw the car in person, but it met my expectations and I bought it.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

If anyone has done this, can you shoot me a PM - would like to pick your brain for a couple of minutes.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:08 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a gamble and a massive one. If you are a gambling man and price is beyond attractive, then go for it. Otherwise, pass.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

I have purchase 2 996's out of state and sight unseen, but you must have PPI.
Even if you get to see car you must get a PPI. Decent pics can tell you a lot.
Yes both cars were excellent cars for me.
RBC
Old 11-13-2015, 01:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,994 Likes on 2,959 Posts

are you out of you f_cking mind?

wow, anyone who thinks a PPI will assure a great transaction must have their head examined. especially if the owner of the car is customer of shop performing the PPI.

there are so many nightmares related to car buyers trusting the word of 2nd parties - big NO NO
Old 11-13-2015, 01:42 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 973 Posts

I don't view the PPI as any kind of guarantee that a potential purchase won't have problems. Many issues can be missed in a PPI. That being said, a PPI often reveals problems or cosmetic issues that can then serve as a further negotiating points. When I bought my C4S, the PPI revealed a leaking RMS seal, a bad catalytic converter and a host of cosmetic issues. I used the report to negotiate with the seller for a lower price and to help with some of the repairs.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:30 PM
rbc123
Rennlist Member

Hey groovzilla Bite me!
A good PPI tells me, a non-Porsche mechanic more than I know about a used Porsche.
What are your suggestions for checking out a car before purchase? Just driving it for 1/2 hour doesn't do it for me. For example I drove a car before a PPI and didn't notice the tranny whine that PPI tech. picked up, etc.
Long distance shopping is not easy, you usually don't get to spend a lot of time with car,etc.
RBC
Old 11-13-2015, 03:37 PM
ezdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this your first Porsche 911? If yes, Do not buy sight unseen. It's your money however ... so you may ignore this advice. I won't buy a car from my mother sight unseen.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:56 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Originally Posted by groovzilla
are you out of you f_cking mind?

wow, anyone who thinks a PPI will assure a great transaction must have their head examined. especially if the owner of the car is customer of shop performing the PPI.

there are so many nightmares related to car buyers trusting the word of 2nd parties - big NO NO
No, I'm not out of my f'ing mind.
Just because you wouldn't do it doesn't mean it can't be successfully done.
I've already had more PMs from people who have successfully done it than negative opinion replies to this thread.
And thanks to everyone who has PM'ed me.

Quick Reply: Out of state purchase