Sponsored by:

Normal coolant temp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 02:03 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Normal coolant temp?

So I need some opinions from my esteemed RL colleagues.

I recently replaced both radiator fans and resistors. I've put about 100 miles on the car since. Yesterday I was monitoring the coolant temp via the climate control hack. I was in stop and go (first gear the whole time) traffic for about 30 minutes. The ambient temperature outside was around 85°. The hottest that the car got in that situation was 101°C. I don't believe that the high speed fans ever activated. The low speed fans were on due to the AC running.

What say ye? Abnormal? Normal?
Old 10-17-2015, 02:52 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

101c is 213.8F so I would say normal. Particularly given the ambient temp, driving conditions and not having the car moving so air flow increases.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Normal. Now, go get some sleep.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:12 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 448 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Normal. Now, go get some sleep.
Hit up the swap meet today!

Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Some may know this but it is worth stating for the noobs:
The temperature gauge is only approximate.
The sensor for it measures coolant flowing INTO the the engine on bank 1.
You really need to know the temperature after it exits bank 2(the hotter bank).
The radiator area accumulate lots of debris that you can't see unless you move the a/c condensers out of the way to clean between .
There is a useful mod on Rennlist for the engine compartment fan(not coolant!)
The best way to test all this imho is up on a rack with Durametric + an I.R. temp gun engine warm and at low/high revs. Log the data and report back.Tedious and time consuming but...
Without accurate data from specific locations and not knowing if fans are working correctly(Durametric) you could chase your tail.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:01 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by islaTurbine
So I need some opinions from my esteemed RL colleagues.

I recently replaced both radiator fans and resistors. I've put about 100 miles on the car since. Yesterday I was monitoring the coolant temp via the climate control hack. I was in stop and go (first gear the whole time) traffic for about 30 minutes. The ambient temperature outside was around 85°. The hottest that the car got in that situation was 101°C. I don't believe that the high speed fans ever activated. The low speed fans were on due to the AC running.

What say ye? Abnormal? Normal?
Normal based on my time spent monitoring and data logging my Boxster's coolant temperature under a variety of ambient temperature and driving conditions.

That the fans on low speed kept the engine "cool" in 30 minutes of 1st gear stop/go speaks highly of the car's cooling system.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
The sensor for it measures coolant flowing INTO the the engine on bank 1.
You really need to know the temperature after it exits bank 2(the hotter bank).
Schnell, this is one of the things I doubt. I traced the coolant passages and found that the coolant temp sensor is actually measuring the coolant after it flows through both banks (in parallel). The sensor is located in the middle of the solid red path in this diagram.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...l#post12576096
Old 10-18-2015, 09:41 AM
phil996cab99
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IslaTurbine - the high speed turns on at 103 (mine does).

Ahsai - that diagram is great. Also, does the coolant circulate when the car is at idle? I almost wish there was a "flow meter" to indicate such. Placed way up at the radiators (ha).
Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,198 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by phil996cab99
IslaTurbine - the high speed turns on at 103 (mine does).

Ahsai - that diagram is great. Also, does the coolant circulate when the car is at idle? I almost wish there was a "flow meter" to indicate such. Placed way up at the radiators (ha).
If the engine is warmed up to the point the thermostat is open, coolant is circulating at any engine RPM....at idle yes.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

This is a useful correction to the conventional wisdom by Ahsai.
Obviously there is still something sub-optimal with the circulation/sensing because Jake gives a cryptic comment about using "Epoxy".
Hopefully Ahsai will eventually complete his very useful coolant circulation diagram.Nobody else has produced anything to this standard .Thank you Ahsai !
Old 10-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
If the engine is warmed up to the point the thermostat is open, coolant is circulating at any engine RPM....at idle yes.
If you check out the diagram below, you can see the coolant is circulating around the cylinder heads and cylinders whenever the engine/water pump is spinning. At idle the speed will be lower and at WOT the speed will be higher.

When the engine is cold, the coolant only circulates within the engine block to speed up bringing the coolant up to operating temperature. The thermostat is closed so the radiator flow (green) is blocked.

Once the coolant temp approaches the set temp, the thermostat starts to open and let the green radiator flow start, diverting part of the hot flow (on the upper right) after the cylinders/cylinder heads to the radiators. The flow returned from the radiator can now be mixed with the red flow at the thermostat (since the thermostat is open now). The thermostat will sense the temp of the mixed flows and regulate the opening depending on the sensed temperature.

You can see that the coolant sensor is at the return path of the coolant after the cylinders/heads and NOT AFTER the radiators, which returns on the left side to the thermostat.

Name:  m96-coolant-flow.jpg
Views: 4790
Size:  74.5 KB

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
This is a useful correction to the conventional wisdom by Ahsai.
Obviously there is still something sub-optimal with the circulation/sensing because Jake gives a cryptic comment about using "Epoxy".
Hopefully Ahsai will eventually complete his very useful coolant circulation diagram.Nobody else has produced anything to this standard .Thank you Ahsai !
I have no idea what Jake refers to but my guess is the overheated parts are part of the inside of the heads (responsible for cracked heads), which overheats even before the coolant can be sensed by the thermostat/temp sensor.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Looking at this excellent diagram work-

Question-

Is the red path (radiator bypass) formed by the black water pipe that runs next to the oil filter ?

Comment-

Once the red water temp gets to the thermostat set point, the thermostat opens and water can now take a parallel path through the two parallel radiators. Just as this first occured, the exit temp from the heads (highest coolant temp in the engine) was = to the 190 deg (for discussion sake) temp of the thermostat. Thermostat reacts, opening main gateway to radiators.

Once the radiator flow is established, the thermostat now senses cooler water than what is exiting from the heads, since this engine exit water temp is reduced with the radiator water exit temp (much cooler and a larger flow mass), so the thermostat is not now setting the flow based just on engine coolant exit temp. It would seem that the effect would be that the water temp exiting the heads could now be higher than before, as the thermostat is reacting to the cooler flow blended with the temp values from head exit ports.

Not wanting to take off on a tangent proposing a solution when there is no problem, but it is temping to think about. If this is the case, then a proper way to control temperature is with another temp sensor(s) that look at head exit temps, takes the worst one, and controls thermostat poppet valve opening % as a direct reaction to coolant exit temps. This would have the added benefit of being programmable to lead the heat buildup based on observed engine cool down rates as a % of opening of the thermostat.

I also would assume that the current design works, since the temp sensor installed in the vehicles today is connected to the red path cylinder head exit temps, which in my car is always around 175 degs, even though the thermostat is supposedly set at a higher temp to open (190F ?), which is itself a bit confusing.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I have no idea what Jake refers to but my guess is the overheated parts are part of the inside of the heads (responsible for cracked heads), which overheats even before the coolant can be sensed by the thermostat/temp sensor.

From reading hartech that makes sense. Just a Monday AM armchair guess, and my personal opinion, but it seems that the oil starts to break down when the engine isn't up to temp and the happy pedal is to the floor.

They also talked about some design changes, although personally I think it's due to the engines not being up to temp and/or not being driven enough after coming up to temp (or driven hard enough) that causes a lot of our issues.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:23 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ericson38
Looking at this excellent diagram work-

Question-

Is the red path (radiator bypass) formed by the black water pipe that runs next to the oil filter ?
No, the red path is formed by the main oil pump (part #1 here). I left it out so I can show clearly the coolant ports behind it.

The black water pipe (like 3/4" in diameter) that runs next to the oil filter is for the heater core if memory serves.

Comment-

Once the red water temp gets to the thermostat set point, the thermostat opens and water can now take a parallel path through the two parallel radiators. Just as this first occured, the exit temp from the heads (highest coolant temp in the engine) was = to the 190 deg (for discussion sake) temp of the thermostat. Thermostat reacts, opening main gateway to radiators.

Once the radiator flow is established, the thermostat now senses cooler water than what is exiting from the heads, since this engine exit water temp is reduced with the radiator water exit temp (much cooler and a larger flow mass), so the thermostat is not now setting the flow based just on engine coolant exit temp.

It would seem that the effect would be that the water temp exiting the heads could now be higher than before, as the thermostat is reacting to the cooler flow blended with the temp values from head exit ports.
More or less but two points to make 1) The thermostat opens gradually (before the set temp) so the degree of opening varies as the temp of the coolant. 2) Now that the thermostat is partially opened, the cooler coolant from the radiators also rushes to cool the heads/cylinders immediately (via the pump).

Not wanting to take off on a tangent proposing a solution when there is no problem, but it is temping to think about. If this is the case, then a proper way to control temperature is with another temp sensor(s) that look at head exit temps, takes the worst one, and controls thermostat poppet valve opening % as a direct reaction to coolant exit temps.
Yes, I think that's what Jake alluded to. Basically shortening the feedback path to reduce the reaction delay. I think it may be ideal if the thermostat can sense the coolant temp that is closer to the heads/cylinders but physically that will require we move the thermostat closer to the heads/cylinders and at the same time crimping the return flow of the radiators.

I think the coolant sensor itself though is already at the right spot for controlling the fuel/air mixture as it reads the coolant temp right after it exits the heads/cylinders.

This would have the added benefit of being programmable to lead the heat buildup based on observed engine cool down rates as a % of opening of the thermostat. I also would assume that the current design works, since the temp sensor installed in the vehicles today is connected to the red path cylinder head exit temps, which in my car is always around 175 degs, even though the thermostat is supposedly set at a higher temp to open (190F ?), which is itself a bit confusing.
Yes, as said above, the thermostat starts to open before that set temp and it's not fully open until the coolant temp is higher than the set temp.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:26 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chiamac
From reading hartech that makes sense. Just a Monday AM armchair guess, and my personal opinion, but it seems that the oil starts to break down when the engine isn't up to temp and the happy pedal is to the floor.

They also talked about some design changes, although personally I think it's due to the engines not being up to temp and/or not being driven enough after coming up to temp (or driven hard enough) that causes a lot of our issues.
Agreed. I always warm up the engine before flooring the gas pedal. I also do cool down drive after a hard drive and not just stop the car immediately.
Also, if after I stop the car I hear the radiator fans running, I'll let them finished before turning the engine off. The worst temp build up is right after the engine is stopped so I try to avoid stopping the engine when it's too hot.

Quick Reply: Normal coolant temp?