Sponsored by:

CA State Road 23

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA State Road 23

Well, I'm sure some will be annoyed with this non-technical, non-IMSB-hysteria-paranoia-freak-out thread, but here it goes...

Ever take CA 23 aka Mullholand Hwy? I had before on several occasions. But, this was the first time I did it in my 996 and all I can say is WOW! It is a completely different road in the 996. And having taken numerous nasty turns in at least twice the safety limit, I must say that I have gained a new respect for my car.

I was going down Malibu from Thousand Oaks. At first, I had to pass a limp d*ck driving 25 mph in a small POS Chevy SUV which was followed by a poser in a convertible BMW who didn't have the ***** to pass him. I decided to pass them both. The 996 came through in flying colors. My brother sitting next to me goes: "OMG! Love that sound at around 5000 RPM." We both nod and smile. Then took some twisties and a hairpin and the car is fully planted. I did have a couple doubts going into curves at 4000 RPM but she surprised me by not even giving a single budge. Then I approached a Honda CRV that's following a Volvo. I follow them and I'm slowly getting impatient. Suddenly the Volvo takes a side street. And woohoo, there is hope. I immediately think, why the hell would you buy a Volvo if you lived here? I keep behind the CRV and I'm slowly looking for that opportune moment that I can clearly see the on-coming traffic, and suddenly we are approaching a hairpin going down but I can see the other side of the hill and there are no cars. We go into the hairpin and on the way out, now I can see both sides. I decide to take it. Downshift to 2 and reach 5500 RPM, 3 and suddenly I'm doing 70. Again, I look at my brother and there's a nod of approval. Then we get to some more twisties. By this time it's just us and the road; no one else is there. Every sharp turn I come into my RPM is at 3500 to 4000 range and I push her and she's on it. No matter what I do, she won't give away. It's like having this thing that is fully devoted to you. My brother goes: "My Gooooodddd!!!" Anyway, soon we reach a point where we can see the ocean and as soon as we arrive at PCH stop, there is this sense of disappointment that it's over.....for now anyway. We hit Neptunes Nest for some grub and we keep reminding each other about what we just experienced. That, my friends, is the beauty of these cars.

Last edited by Rubik; 09-22-2015 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:12 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default CA State Road 23

Thought I was reading an issue of Penthouse Forum for a moment. Well done sir!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:15 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Latigo Cyn off of Kanan Rd is another good one

Come down here to San Diego and we have a lot of back twisty roads
Old 09-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JayG

On the bucket list.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

I drive those canyons most weekends .

Try the " Snake " early in the morning before the crowds and police arrive .
Old 09-22-2015, 12:05 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alansglide
I drive those canyons most weekends .

Try the " Snake " early in the morning before the crowds and police arrive .
That's what worries me when it comes to doing this often. Simple probability says, sooner or later, I'll get arrested for reckless driving. I can't behave when I'm on these roads; I just can't!
Old 09-23-2015, 12:57 AM
jj1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JayG

Where? I've lived in SD my whole life, other than Palomar IDK any good roads. I go to the track once a month or so but sometimes I get off work at the crack of dawn and want to go for a drive.
Old 09-23-2015, 01:22 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Engineer rd, Highland Valley rd, Mesa grande to name a few
Old 09-23-2015, 01:23 AM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Are you a PCA member?
The SD club does 4-5 back road tours a year
Where in SD are you?
Old 09-23-2015, 02:34 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

I used to drive all those misc. Malibu-area canyon roads on my motorcycle nearly every weekend. I agree, They are great.

jj1, hook up with PCA-SDR. As JayG says, we do a bunch of great drives several times a year.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:50 AM
falvidre
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I drove it on my apriia RSV 1000 and....

Stopped off at the Rock Store. I had the bike in for service and got the recommendation from my mechanic to visit. The bar is on the 2nd terrace of the Rock Store. You can have a beer and sit in the shade with a bunch of other motor heads. It was in the old days, a hang out for the likes of Steve McQueen and a bunch of other motorheads who simply liked to drive the snake. I stopped and had a beer first then decided that maybe I didn't want to go full out on the snake with the aprilia so I just enjoyed the view from the shade of the terrace. I may re-engage with the P-car.

- Fast
Old 09-24-2015, 11:31 AM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

You can also try San Francisquito road from Cooper Hill in Valencia to the Rock Inn on Lake Elizabeth rd .

Starts with some tight twisties near the power station through some higher speed turns leading to a section that is about a mile straight with no side roads .

I didn't say this but triple digit speed on that straight section is easy .

Good breakfasts at the Rock Inn as a bonus.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Have you just discovered that you're driving a performance vehicle and that there exist curvy roads?

reading your posts is like watching a newborn deer stumble all over the place.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:27 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Have you just discovered that you're driving a performance vehicle and that there exist curvy roads?

reading your posts is like watching a newborn deer stumble all over the place.
LOL. Quad, please do yourself a favor and grab some coffee, smell the fresh air, and go take a sh*t for god's sake. You seem constipated.

Anyway, as my post says, I have driven performance cars on twisties before but this is a different experience. Also, you 993 guys are jealous that I actually enjoy my car and don't write "Oh sh*t!" posts every 5 min.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Have you just discovered that you're driving a performance vehicle and that there exist curvy roads? reading your posts is like watching a newborn deer stumble all over the place.
Seriously?

Quick Reply: CA State Road 23