Vertex Auto and its Permanent IMSB Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 01:29 PM
RodVertex
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vertex Auto and its Permanent IMSB Upgrade

Dear fellow 996 enthusiast,
Hello. My name is Rod and I represent Vertex Auto. Vertex engineers designed and created the Drive Shaft Bearing Support Mount for 2005-2009 Cayennes and Touregs, the Alternator Updated Aluminum Fan for the 1974-1989 911s, the updated rear trailing control arm for 1974-1989 911s, and the Intermediate shaft bearing upgrade called the Eternal Fix which fits 996, 997.1, 986, and 987.1 (Boxsters and Caymans). Vertex has been in the Porsche aftermarket business since 1985 and continues to engineer, build and sell products intended to fix manufacturer design errors, improve performance and reduce the cost of ownership for the entire line of Porsches.
We want to first apologize to you fellow Porsche owners, especially 996 enthusiast for not being present during many of the IMSB discussions on this board. Vertex made a conscious business decision to hold back on the internet presence until there were enough Eternal Fixes installed in 911s and Boxsters to appropriately respond with authority and in particular evidence about how well the Eternal Fix works. Even though our data and multiple experimental conditions provided our engineers with the evidence that the Eternal Fix would last the life of the engine, we needed real-world confirmation, customer experience, word of mouth, and dealer feedback to be established before we widened our internet presence.
Since 2012, we have sold over 1000 Eternal Fix IMSBs that are now in low and high mileage 911s and Boxsters, in hot and cold climates, and under varied maintenance schedules, with zero reported failures. Let me repeat, ZERO reported failures.
Regarding our cylindrical roller bearing design, our engineers did not reinvent the wheel or enhance the existing OEM part. Instead, they used math and physics and a tried and true approach to reengineer an established bearing design to work in the intermediate shaft bearing application, which had been used in the transmission of street and racing Porsches dating back to the 1960s. A cylindrical roller bearing design that is known to endure high stress, high RPM, all-angle demands placed on it under even more severe conditions than what would be found in the engine. The intermediate shaft roller bearing design model developed by Vertex and used by Porsche for decades is now an over-engineered permanent upgrade essential to the life of your engine.
In addition to permanently fixing the design error in the intermediate shaft bearing, our upgraded IMSB provides owners with that much more needed confidence that their engines will not become part of the reported 1%, or 4%, or 8% or 10% destined to implode, or be a required maintenance inspection item when the clutch or AOS need replacing. How about that for peace of mind driving! Of course we warranty the part for 2 years or 20,000 against defect. In addition to extending the IMSB life of 911s and Boxsters, we believe the installation of the Eternal Fix will be critical to the long terms success and ultimately the increase in values of the 996.
There’s another important reason for our new presence in this forum, early 996s are about to become classics in the 911 world. Since they have modern amenities such as COLD air conditioners, are more fit to be daily drivers, and have lower maintenance costs than their air/oil cooled brethren, our experience tells us that they are destined to become more popular than ever. Furthermore, since we have been selling 911 cars since 1985 and continuously watch the 911 market closely, we are predicting an upcoming surge in values. The evidence is there. For the past few months, journalists in magazines and internet sites have been calling the 996 a “steal” and “undervalued” in the 911 world and we agree. In the not too distant future the “affordable” status of the 911 will begin to diminish as more IMSBs, which was considered the Achilles heel of the 996 market value, are upgraded and become maintenance parts or with our product a permanent upgrade. Therefore, having an upgraded Eternal Fix IMSB has never been more important than now for keeping the value of your 996 up.
We are available for any questions or comments related to the Eternal Fix. Just to be clear, we don’t know everything and we’re not going to hide behind attitude, bullying, or bombast. So if we don’t know, you’ll have to believe that we don’t. If you prefer to post your question in private you are welcome to PM me. We respect that. Our goal is to support and promote the 996 community.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:54 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome and glad to have another vendor onboard with another option.

Any links to photos or vids would also be welcomed.

I know someone, cough cough, is gonna bring up the thrust load issue soon though...
Old 09-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Ok, I'll be the first to ask

1) There seems to be a thrust control "washer". Can you give a little bit more info of how that works and how much load it can withstand?
http://www.vertexauto.com/UserData/I...rge/294103.jpg

2) Looks like the bearing is lubricated by unfiltered oil directly from the oil pump (via the IMS). A small hole is punched on the non-IMSB end of the IMS so oil can travel to the IMSB side. Any chance that this hole is blocked by any debris in the unfiltered oil?

3) Do you know what's the highest miles that have been put on the eternal bearing on a retrofitted car?

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003

Any links to photos or vids would also be welcomed.

I know someone, cough cough, is gonna bring up the thrust load issue soon though...
You read my mind and I saved Schnell G some typing

I'm not sure they can post a link to advertise as they are not a sponsor (yet)?
Old 09-21-2015, 03:18 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You read my mind and I saved Schnell G some typing

I'm not sure they can post a link to advertise as they are not a sponsor (yet)?
You surprised me Ahsai, Schell G must me offline.

Makes sense on no links.

For those trying to visualize what was said, you can read about it here: http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...nal%20Fix.aspx
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Subscribed
Old 09-21-2015, 03:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

You surprised me Ahsai, Schell G must me offline.

Makes sense on no links.

For those trying to visualize what was said, you can read about it here: http://www.vertexauto.com/ShowItem/2...nal%20Fix.aspx
Inquiring mind wants to know and all the details make a difference

I'm especially interested in how this design compares to the alleged new LN roller bearing that has integrated thrust control on BOTH directions axially (that's for when the IMS tends to move forward or backward depending on the momentum) and lubricated by splashed oil.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:43 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Not for 987.1 Boxsters and Caymans?

Rod, you mention that the Eternal Fix is applicable for "996, 997.1, 986, and 987.1 (Boxsters and Caymans)".
And you mention that the installation does not require opening up the engine (splitting the engine case).
From what I can tell about the product, looking online, the Eternal Fix does not seem compatible with 987.1 Caymans at all (M97 engines), and would only be applicable to the first year or so of production of 987.1 Boxsters and 997.1 Carreras with the M96 engine.

Also your online website "Applications" chart does not list 987.1 or 997.1 models at all.

Please clarify this.
Thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:44 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I have overloaded my thrust too many times and now my shaft is slightly bent.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm just glad of the writing style without attacks.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:50 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 208 Likes on 122 Posts

Fellow mechanical engineer. What was your reasoning behind choosing a cylindrical bearing over a spherical bearing?
Old 09-21-2015, 04:01 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
I'm just glad of the writing style without attacks.
Should we start a pool on how long that lasts? I'll take that the first arrow flies before the end of the 2nd page of posts.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Should we start a pool on how long that lasts? I'll take that the first arrow flies before the end of the 2nd page of posts.
I hope Ahsai's questions get answered before the stupid stuff and insults start flying in the thread.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:51 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I hope Ahsai's questions get answered before the stupid stuff and insults start flying in the thread.

I think we can all guess which people these are gonna come from.

Another question is how important will condition of the oil and type of oil used be for this kind of setup since the original oil pump will be modified to deliver a preset amount of oil to the device? Is there any noticeable or measurable drop in oil pressure with this setup?
Old 09-21-2015, 05:32 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

This is timely. I was going to cancel my RL subscription due to sheer boredom...

Quick Reply: Vertex Auto and its Permanent IMSB Upgrade