996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Vertex Auto and its Permanent IMSB Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 06:30 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Ok…..I’ve been on here for 8 years and still can’t figure how to multi-quote. I don’t get that technical but I sure read a lot. ….and after so many recent threads or endless threads about the IMS roller bearing vs ball bearing me gots some questions and comments….so I’ll put in italics the comment followed by my question.

1. "The intermediate shaft roller bearing design model developed by Vertex and used by Porsche for decades is now an over-engineered permanent upgrade essential to the life of your engine. "

Where has Porsche used a roller bearing for an intermediate shaft for decades? Yes, roller bearings were used in the 4 cam until they were replaced with plain bearings due to reliability problems with rollers. This was in regards to the crankshaft, never were they used for an intermediate shaft, right?

2. "Of course we warranty the part for 2 years or 20,000 against defect."

2 year warranty - why was this reduced from 5 years? The last issue of Excellence still shows the 5 year.

3. "We want to first apologize to you fellow Porsche owners, especially 996 enthusiast for not being present during many of the IMSB discussions on this board. Vertex made a conscious business decision to hold back on the internet presence until there were enough Eternal Fixes installed in 911s and Boxsters to appropriately respond with authority and in particular evidence about how well the Eternal Fix works. Even though our data and multiple experimental conditions provided our engineers with the evidence that the Eternal Fix would last the life of the engine, we needed real-world confirmation, customer experience, word of mouth, and dealer feedback to be established before we widened our internet presence."

I'm sure you are aware of the other discussion on roller bearings vs. ball bearings. A question I have in your ad it says 5 times the load capacity, where readily available and published load capacities would say it's much less than 5 times that of a ball bearing. Also, how do you address that ball bearings can carry more of their load as thrust than a roller bearing? I'd like to hear how you determined your patent pending thrust control works. You state that the design is Patent Pending, what is the filing number? I am sure that many here would like to review this application.

You’re competitor at MB Motorsports has a cool similar kit. What is the difference, and why is your’s better? Who copied who? Side note did I just give Martin a compliment?
Old 09-21-2015, 06:36 PM
KoB
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
I hope Ahsai's questions get answered before the stupid stuff and insults start flying in the thread.
Apropos of nothing, I appreciate a poster who recognizes and observes the distinction between stupid stuff and insults :-)
Old 09-21-2015, 07:28 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Ok…..I’ve been on here for 8 years and still can’t figure how to multi-quote.
Pete: To multiquote, click on the little icon in the bottom right corner of the post you want to quote, the one with one quotation mark and a plus sign on top of the sheet of paper. If you hover over it, a message stating "Multi Quote" will pop up. Click that on every post you want to quote. Then go down to the bottom of the page and hit the "Post Reply" that's right above the "Similar Threads" and Tags listing. Took me until recently to figure it out also.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:30 PM
JayG
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Pete: To multiquote, click on the little icon in the bottom right corner of the post you want to quote, the one with one quotation mark and a plus sign on top of the sheet of paper. If you hover over it, a message stating "Multi Quote" will pop up. Click that on every post you want to quote. Then go down to the bottom of the page and hit the "Post Reply" that's right above the "Similar Threads" and Tags listing. Took me until recently to figure it out also.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Ya beat me to it KC

You can also click on the double quotes for the last one you want to include and that will open up the reply window
Old 09-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting counterpoint on cylindrical bearing use for IMSB HERE.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:06 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Interesting counterpoint on cylindrical bearing use for IMSB HERE.
So this counterpoint says that cylindrical bearings were considered by LN but we're not used because they don't accommodate thrust loads as well as ball bearings.
But now we hear that LN is coming out with a cylindrical bearing anyhow??

How much thrust load is there on an Intermediate shaft in the first place? In other words, does a cylindrical bearing provide enough thrust control to account for the loads it sees in the engine, or not?
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
But now we hear that LN is coming out with a cylindrical bearing anyhow??
I don't believe LN is coming out with a new roller bearing......on the other hand RND is offering a new roller bearing. I understand that it was developed as an alternative for SSF Auto Parts. https://www.ssfautoparts.com/
Old 09-21-2015, 10:09 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Subscribed
+996
Old 09-21-2015, 10:43 PM
aabueg2005
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Vertex Auto and its Permanent IMSB Upgrade

Looks interesting. They provide a boring tool to get it to fit the '06-'08 engines? Which means no motor disassembly? I have a late 997.1, so this thread has my attention.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:58 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

So when the engine is running, you are feeding oil into the nose of the IMS shaft through your slotted hex key (an area that is a known failure point in the first place, seems slotting a key makes it weaker, but i'm not an engineer). How fast is the oil feeding in, and how fast can it get out of the tube when the engine is running? Is this going to affect the oil level to the rest of the engine as the tube fills with oil? As the engine sits turned off, how is that oil coming back out of the tube slowly going to affect your oil level readings? How much oil does an IMS tube hold? If that tube is full of oil all the time, how does it affect the inertia of the tubes rotation? Typically when we remove IMS bearings where oil has seeped past the seal, there is a bit of oil in the tube, but not a ton as it seems there would be with this product.

Originally Posted by aabueg2005
Looks interesting. They provide a boring tool to get it to fit the '06-'08 engines? Which means no motor disassembly? I have a late 997.1, so this thread has my attention.
After watching that video....I don't see how they are keeping metal from falling inside the engine with this method....and the price of messing that procedure up would be catastrophic.
http://www.imsbearingsolution.com
Old 09-21-2015, 11:42 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
After watching that video....I don't see how they are keeping metal from falling inside the engine with this method....and the price of messing that procedure up would be catastrophic.
http://www.imsbearingsolution.com
Uh, yeah, I'd love to know that answer as well. The video appears to be shot out of sequence but I don't see how this process will stop shavings from ending up inside the case.

A few years ago I read an article in one of the british magazines wherein one of the tuners over there had figured out a method to actually collapse the larger later-style bearing and then extracted the pieces from the case. This was before I actually bought my car so I didn't think about it too much at the time and now wish I could remember the magazine and/or the tuner. Could have been Hartech but not sure anymore. In any case, same questions, seems kind of risky but maybe I'm not aware of something.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:50 PM
redriderrick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm gonna let this get to around, oh, 15 pages before I read through it one night with a beer or three.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Dead horse here https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...-to-watch.html

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Uh, yeah, I'd love to know that answer as well. The video appears to be shot out of sequence but I don't see how this process will stop shavings from ending up inside the case.

A few years ago I read an article in one of the british magazines wherein one of the tuners over there had figured out a method to actually collapse the larger later-style bearing and then extracted the pieces from the case. This was before I actually bought my car so I didn't think about it too much at the time and now wish I could remember the magazine and/or the tuner. Could have been Hartech but not sure anymore. In any case, same questions, seems kind of risky but maybe I'm not aware of something.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

"Schell G must me offline"
I work sometimes :-).
Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 AM
jrdavid68
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black
+996