Considering 100K miles '99

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 AM
GrantH
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 100K miles '99

Hi Guys,

I'm considering a nice C2 with about 100K on the clock. Been maintained well (and driven hard) but has the original clutch and IMSB.

If I purchased it, I would be taking it for a clutch and some kind of IMSB update - whether OEM dual row, aftermarket, not sure yet.

Are there any other weak points on these early C2 I should consider? I was looking at a mkii for a while but the mods are really fun on this one (PSS9's, sway bars, aero, etc). Just want to know what I should budget for.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

I have a 99 with an aero kit and just love it. After reading this forum for about a year, 99's appears to be one of the best years for not having issues, but they are far from having none.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:54 AM
RSQ911
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi- I have a 99 C2 with almost 100k on it and other than the clutch, the rest of the issues have been the normal wear and tear items. And actually I would consider the clutch normal with that many miles. Car came with good records and history. The 99's came factory with double row bearing, and throttle cable, as opposed to drive by wire. There are pros and cons with every car of every era, and of course the infamous ims discussions. I say if you like it get it. Just be thorough with the inspection and or records check. There are of course weird anomalies that pop up.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Considering 100K miles '99

I'm another 99 aero owner with 112,000 miles. No major issues like stated above except for wear and tear. My latest issue was a new aircon compressor but other than that, no big ticket items in the past two years. I also track the hell out of it.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I have an electronic throttle on my 99.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 AM
RSQ911
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Waterloo
I have an electronic throttle on my 99.
Is that an early 99 thing on mine?
Old 09-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Colorado Bob
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe only the '99 C4s had the electronic throttle
Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Bob
I believe only the '99 C4s had the electronic throttle
Correct.

I loved my '99 C4 Aero. It had 148k on the odometer when I sold it, but the engine had only about 70k. It had a non-IMSB failure, engine died when road debris knocked the oil filter canister off and starved the engine of oil. That happened right before I bought it at about 132,000 miles and the previous owner said it ran very well before that incident.

I sold it unsolicited - a guy saw it in the parking lot at work and made me an offer on it. It looked and ran great. I had a couple of minor issues with it (fuel pump went out and frankly I think the rest was preventative maintenance).

The really nice thing about high mileage cars is that you don't give a sh__ about running up the odometer - it doesn't matter anymore. I would drive my '99 everywhere. With the car I just bought, since it's got under 50k miles, now I am reluctant to put a bunch of miles on it. I had been shopping for a car with around 100k miles for just that reason - but this low miles car came up. Now, I'm watching the odometer for the first time in years (all of my other cars are high mileage cars), and frankly I liked the freedom of high miles way better in the '99.

Once they get to be 10+ years old, how they've been maintained and driven is more important than mileage IMHO. Anything can break on a 10+ year old car no matter what the mileage. I wouldn't be afraid of around 100k miles assuming you've got good maintenance history and a well cared for car. Once you get close to 200k miles, then it would be a bigger issue, even in a well-maintained car.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:43 PM
GrantH
Rennlist Member

Paul,

What makes you say the '99 has fewer troubles than the other years? The only thing I know of is the dual row vs single row IMS.

Are there any other things I should budget to replace as preventative maintenance?

I noticed a few of you seem to be replacing the A/C compressor after about 100K miles. Just did a complete A/C remove and replace when my compressor died on my 2002 Golf, would like to change this one before it goes off requiring new condenser, evaporator as well.

Side note: This car has this perforated vinyl dash and vinyl roof that is distinctly low rent looking. The 98 Boxster we had in the family had a nicer looking, smooth vinyl dash. Also there is no ambient air temperature reading on the center cluser, was that some kind of option?

Why is cable drive desirable over drive by wire? My e46 m3 had drive by wire and worked well! I will say that I feel much more at home in the 996 than I ever did in the M3...nice car, but didn't suit me...I like a challenge when I drive and I think you all do too =)

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

I would not get a 996 without the leather dash and door cards.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Grant, I have a little over 118,000 miles on mine and as others are saying it is a good reliable daily driver that is really fun to drive.
Over the years, and all of these miles I have had to replace the following:
Brake pads and rotors
Alternator
Water pump (pro-actively)
Clutch (once)
Plugs
Coil Packs (once)
Crank Position Sensor (recent)
Purge Valve (recent)
Tires

And that is on a hard driven car.
Original IMSB and she was on the track a month ago at Circuit Mont Tremblant North of Montreal
I never gave the IMS issue a thought as I was winding her up to redline.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:31 PM
GrantH
Rennlist Member

Over a span of 120K miles that is very reasonable!

This particular car I don't think has needed anything other than pads, window regulators, and a serpentine belt. I was told nothing else was changed really, which could mean I will be busy. May need to negotiate over this.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Grant, I have a '99 C2 cab that I've owned for almost 9 years with 103K miles. Its been one of the most trouble free vehicles I've owned. I've spent WAAY more on mods than I've spent on upkeep or repairs! Once you get through the normal stuff (AOS, water pump, clutch, etc) you're mostly golden. I had the IMS bearing replaced at 100K with the clutch and, of course, the bearing was in perfect condition. One thing you're going to have address is the nasty habit of foam material blowing out of the vents. Not a huge ordeal to fix, but still annoying. Search my buddy Gator996's posts and you will find his DIY on the subject.
Good luck on the hunt!
Old 09-21-2015, 04:49 PM
GrantH
Rennlist Member

Drove the car for about an hour with the A/C on blast and no foam bits. I did research the issue, thanks for the head's up! Doesn't look too bad to deal with.

Are there any "Musts" that I should have done immediately with a car of this mileage?

Thanks guys!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:33 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Obviously the usual suspects; fluids, belts, hoses, brakes, etc. Probably will need motor mounts, but that's a very easy DIY that will make a world of difference. I'd also plan on removing the front bumper and cleaning out the radiators. Another well-documented and simple DIY.

Quick Reply: Considering 100K miles '99