Used Car Stealerships

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 05:12 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
bull****.
So many people are caught up in the notion that used car dealers are still like they were in the 70s and 80s. Not possible in todays world. My market is no longer my little town, its nation wide because of the internet.

Not saying we're all straight and honest but theres a whole lot more honest guys out there these days than youd think.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Used Car Stealerships

Don't worry about quadcammer, he's just here to be angry.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:16 PM
Kalashnikov
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tags already exist to properly label this thread.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

lol just saw the tags. Im not sweating anyone online, don't worry.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by NickHolloman
So many people are caught up in the notion that used car dealers are still like they were in the 70s and 80s. Not possible in todays world. My market is no longer my little town, its nation wide because of the internet.

Not saying we're all straight and honest but theres a whole lot more honest guys out there these days than youd think.
No.

Dealers buy junk and pawn it onto unsuspecting or unknowlegeable customers as if it were gold.

The reason this doesn't come back to bite you is that the average person has no clue what mechanical or cosmetic shape they are in, and cars on the whole have gotten more reliable. Once they go to trade that car in and the paint meter comes out, then it's a different story.

If the car has had a bad history, it's "I don't know much about it". If it's been in an accident, it's "clean carfax".

You may not flat out lie, but you certainly aren't forthcoming about what you know.

Realistically, buyers should do their homework and do thorough ppis, but we all know that foe the most part that doesn't happen.

You may get lucky and get decent cars, but when you buy a dog, it gets listed like it just won at pebble beach
Old 08-07-2015, 05:23 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

so this is why you have 9000+ posts.
Old 08-07-2015, 05:43 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

No.

Dealers buy junk and pawn it onto unsuspecting or unknowlegeable customers as if it were gold.

The reason this doesn't come back to bite you is that the average person has no clue what mechanical or cosmetic shape they are in, and cars on the whole have gotten more reliable. Once they go to trade that car in and the paint meter comes out, then it's a different story.

If the car has had a bad history, it's "I don't know much about it". If it's been in an accident, it's "clean carfax".

You may not flat out lie, but you certainly aren't forthcoming about what you know.

Realistically, buyers should do their homework and do thorough ppis, but we all know that foe the most part that doesn't happen.

You may get lucky and get decent cars, but when you buy a dog, it gets listed like it just won at pebble beach
Boy, someone has had a bitter experience before. I hope your outlook on girls from all the girls that wronged you in your lifetime isn't the same either.

"Bull**** B!tch!, you suck my **** and steal my money. You are all ****** and good for nothing gold diggers!"
Old 08-07-2015, 05:47 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

While shopping for a car for my daughter, we checked out a car at a local used lot. We test drove a Focus. The car kept stumbling, almost stalling, and making funny noises. The salesman said "That's normal, all Fords do that." Needless to say, we went elsewhere.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by alpine003
Boy, someone has had a bitter experience before. I hope your outlook on girls from all the girls that wronged you in your lifetime isn't the same either.

"Bull**** B!tch!, you suck my **** and steal my money. You are all ****** and good for nothing gold diggers!"
Different situation, but yeah there are a lot of unpleasant women out there.

Sales people's only goal in life is to separate you from your cash by any means necessary. Be it smooth talking, a good product, or out right bullahitting, whatever it takes will occur.

Same goes for contractors and the majority of service providers, including repair shops.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:19 PM
dwhitlow
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I think Quad is painting with far too broad a brush. As Nick said, there's no room for the stereotypical sleazy used car dealer from the 70's and 80's. Some are still out there, and they may stand up a storefront and get away with selling sh*t for a period of time, but the market WILL weed them out.

The internet has greatly leveled the playing field as far as creating informed buyers. But that creates some personal responsibility on the buyer to know what they should be on the lookout for. Know the car you are trying to buy, know the ins-n-outs of that year/make/model. Honestly, a 996 buyer has no excuse to not be relatively well-informed on what to look out for if they stumble into this forum at some point in their research process.

Will there be people who still manage to get 'taken' by the occasional bad apple dealer? Yes, and those dealers (or maybe it's just a couple bad salespeople) who knowingly take advantage of that are undeniably a$$holes. But that number should be going down as a generation of better-informed buyers comes along.

But keep in mind, dealers sometimes get the short end of the stick too when some knucklehead trades-in or sells their car that they know is about to implode due to deferred or non-existent maintenance that isn't always visually evident. If I was a dealer taking a 996 trade-in with a super-fresh oil change, you can bet I'd look extra hard at that car. Just sayin'.

No.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

I still disagree. I see it happen all the time. Joe customer with honda, toyota, whatever, fancies an upgrade and goes to the used car lot to look at mb, bmw, audi, jag, etc. This cheap prestige buyer, which makes up a fair bit of the "high line" market, doesn't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to cars.

As long as the car runs and drives ok, they will believe all the bs spewing from the dealers mouth.

The real surprise is when they get their first dealer service. Then you get the forum posts like "just bought used c class, now needs 2500 in repairs, what do I do?"

This is very common because buyers lack the interest in doing research, utilizing common sense, shop on nothing but price, and are generally trusting of dealers who "seem nice".

They may not be pouring 75w-90 into the motor and hoping it won't knock until you leave the lot, but they are purposely omitting material information they should know about the cars and will tell you almost anything to close the deal
Old 08-07-2015, 07:05 PM
alpine003
Banned

I see it happen all the time. Joe customer with honda, toyota, whatever, fancies an upgrade and goes to the used car lot to look at mb, bmw, audi, jag, etc. This cheap prestige buyer, which makes up a fair bit of the "high line" market, doesn't know their *** from their elbow when it comes to cars.

As long as the car runs and drives ok, they will believe all the bs spewing from the dealers mouth.
I have to agree with this scenario but there still needs to be sales people out there to try to provide a good buying experience and any support they may need to give to potential client. No one will ever say this is a crap car and do not buy it. True that buyer may not know better but as the saying goes... Fool me once... Fool me twice...
Old 08-07-2015, 07:06 PM
NickHolloman
Racer

Quadcammer what line of business are you in?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by alpine003
I have to agree with this scenario but there still needs to be sales people out there to try to provide a good buying experience and any support they may need to give to potential client. No one will ever say this is a crap car and do not buy it. True that buyer may not know better but as the saying goes... Fool me once... Fool me twice...
I don't think most used car dealers go into the business intending for it to turn out that way, but when you're reselling auction cars, you will end up with plenty of average cars, for which there is a lot of competition (read: 3/5 series, c/e class, a4, etc) and you gotta make your car appealing. Only so much you can do for cheap with the car, so you make up for it with salesmanship and bluster.

The concept of a good highline dealer is great and very appealing. There are some out there, but very few. If you look on ebay, every used dealer out there claims they buy nothing but the best. Just not possible.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:25 PM
alpine003
Banned

There are some out there, but very few. If you look on ebay, every used dealer out there claims they buy nothing but the best. Just not possible.
Sorta like all the Italian Beef joints around here where every sign says "worlds best Italian beef", lol.

Quick Reply: Used Car Stealerships