Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Faster" than a 996

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015 | 08:09 AM
Manley
Intermediate

Happens nearly every day with me. I just had a newer Dodge Challenger play this game with me. I had cruise set about 5 over and passed him. About 1 minute later he goes flying by me. About 3 minutes later I go back by him, cruise still set 5 over. I hope he had fun.

In the first year I had my STi, I was driving home from work around 2am and this civic pulls next to me on the freeway. He played the revving game until he found I had no interest in felony street racing. He then proceeds to drop a gear, mash the throttle and have one of the slowest acceleration events I have ever witnessed. As he grabs his next gear, a huge plume of smoke comes bellowing out from behind his car and he starts slowing and moving to the right. I roll down my window to give a thumbs up and hear a god awful noise coming from that poor motor. I gave the thumbs up and hit my flashers to signal my win as I continued on my way.
Old 07-24-2015 | 08:53 AM
doctrepp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Frankly, I RARELY have anyone try to race me on the street. Maybe a ricer one or twice a year, that's about it.

Also, there are a TON of sleeper cars out there, so you never know what you are up against.

1,000 HP SmartForTwo anyone?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...road-race.html

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:33 AM
thebowl
Instructor

I think the technical term for this is "Nissan syndrome".
Old 07-24-2015 | 10:58 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

I've always wanted to build a VW bus like this one. Left the factory with about 30 hp? Now with a 993 turbo engine, runs about 500 hp. Video link below showing this thing tearing up the track

Old 07-24-2015 | 11:11 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

When driving my 996 (and now my 997) on the highway, I occasionally encounter a situation like this:

- I'm driving in the middle lane, within 5 mph of the speed limit
- I am closing on a car ahead that is obviously traveling less than the posted limit
- I signal and move into the left lane to pass the slower vehicle
- As I start to pass the slow vehicle, the driver accelerates to stay ahead of me so that I can't pass
- I've seen cars (of all types) accelerate to over 80 mph to prevent me from passing
- I eventually pass on the left, and the driver quickly slows down to the speed that they were traveling before I passed

The whole thing is silly.
Old 07-24-2015 | 11:20 AM
cerex
Racer

this is how it is

Old 07-24-2015 | 11:37 AM
thin_concrete
Pro

His happened to me last night as a 350Z that was very low, with ugly wide wheels, and an obnoxious exhaust pulled even with me on the highway (70MPH) and then gunned it. I'm sure I'm in the racing section of some teeny bopper 350Z forum listed as a "kill." I was just out enjoying a spin.
Old 07-24-2015 | 11:43 AM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

This happens all the time. I-540 is 70mph, I normally set the cruise at 76mph as the troopers and police want people doing at least 9mph over and in NC 80mph is considered reckless driving. I pretty much stay in the center lane and I will run up behind someone and move over to the left lane to pass and sure enough they start speeding up.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
When driving my 996 (and now my 997) on the highway, I occasionally encounter a situation like this:

- I am closing on a car ahead that is obviously traveling less than the posted limit
- As I start to pass the slow vehicle, the driver accelerates to stay ahead of me so that I can't pass
- I've seen cars (of all types) accelerate to over 80 mph to prevent me from passing
- I eventually pass on the left, and the driver quickly slows down to the speed that they were traveling before I passed

Old 07-24-2015 | 11:49 AM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Yeah, this happens quite a bit in the 1998 Boxster, mine is Artic Silver and very plain looking and people want to challenge it all the time. In the 996 it is a different story, I am not sure if it is because the aero kit looks intimidating or the fact it is a 911 but it gets a lot more respect at the light. There are quite a few turbos around here so maybe they have been burned too many times and have given up on racing Porches.

Originally Posted by Triple Black
But I think it could be a "faster than a Porsche sports car" phenomenon, as it seemed to happen even more often in the Boxster. Not sure if it was the color (black), or maybe some people are just a bit more intimidated by a 996 than a 986.
Old 07-24-2015 | 02:59 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Few weeks ago, we were driving in the mountains on a nice twisty road. A full size van was racing me even though I was completely ignoring him. I was doing the speed limit and the van would pass me on the straights. But at the bends/turns, I kept going and he would brake crazy and I could see his van understeer. I thought he might roll over. Eventually, he decided to leave me alone and I kept enjoying my drive. LOL.

I see a lot of Subaru/Audi/BMW and for some reason pickup truck drivers wanting to race me. I am the one usually on the right lane doing 3-4 miles above speed limit minding my own business.
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:13 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dennis C

That happened to me once on a small parkway here posted at 25, and I was going about that. Someone in a bigger Chevy SUV (it wasn't anything special) tailgated me then gunned it and pull out in the other lane to pass.

I "should" have dropped it in 2nd, but 3rd was enough to match him up to 60, at which point I thought better of the deal and backed off. He had it floored, and I don't think I did. Which is part of the point that there is no point.

It is fun and games, but we are able to beat almost all stock regular cars, and although it's fun and games there just isn't a point and nothing to prove. Plus the cars that we can't beat it really would be a friendly wave and fun and games, and still no point.

=)
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:21 PM
e code
Advanced

I am glad this thread is here, need to vent. WTF is wrong with people? Just yesterday I had a 90s Ford Ranger with literally no exhaust pull up next to me just to rev his engine. whats it like 130hp? Another guy at work with a beat civic with a type R engine says "wanna race?" I just smile and say sure jokingly. Then he says he's serious. First of all who the hell street races? Bring that shine box to an auto cross and see how that works out for you bud. /rant
Old 07-24-2015 | 03:27 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by e code
Bring that shine box to an auto cross and see how that works out for you bud. /rant

No, that's when you say yes, get him behind you, and lead them into a 35mph corner at 60+.

=)
Old 07-24-2015 | 05:40 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Evil, but I like it!

Originally Posted by Chiamac
No, that's when you say yes, get him behind you, and lead them into a 35mph corner at 60+.

=)
Old 07-24-2015 | 06:02 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crashclint
Evil, but I like it!

I did that to a suburban that was tailgating me, or well, they did it to themselves. Left the tunnel (where one of those corners are) with them way out of sight. Low and behold they were back at it again tailgating me a mile or so later going down the same exit as me. I thought it was a great idea to brake check them a little, and it was a great idea, and he does it to me after going around somehow (I forgot how but the exit opens up at that point) and returns the favor.

Problem with brake checking a sports car is that 1) I wasn't really following that close 2) I can stop better and faster 3) I was left wondering why traffic was backed up and didn't even know it was a check until a while later, so whatever effect he wanted it to have didn't really work anyway.

I broke off going a different way just to cool down.

But yeah, moral of the story is it is A LOT of fun to get in front of fast drivers and lead them into corners, because they WILL follow and won't have any idea of what is happening until its' almost too late. Also, if anything did happen it's their fault anyway.

Quick Reply: "Faster" than a 996