996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Two Days, Two Flights and One New Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the Forum. Super nice car.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My SO was president of the Land Rover club in Las Vegas. I've never owned one, though. We're looking to buy a beater Jeep. Never owned one of those either, but looks fun. We have some great off-roading areas in the desert near here.
I live in the same region as you: Upon getting backed up behind a large truck fire (what IS it with those in the Southwest, BTW?), we simply switched it into off road mode, drove across a gully onto an adjacent off road vehicle path, and blithely drove by the accident/towtrucks/etc, 1/2 mile down the road.
My son's friends in the vehicle at the time still talk about it---they think the LR is the miracle off road vehicle.
Of course, 13 year old boys are hardly the last word in automotive consumer information...

Planning to buy my college age daughter a 2009 or so LR2 after freshman year (shhh---don't tell her). Reliable, and REALLY cheap due to poor perceived reliability and consequent poor resale.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:51 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice Porsche story, welcome to club Rennlist. Love the wheels and aero package, thanks for the pics.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Schnell Gelb
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Land Rover - Full disclosure -my buddies run a Land Rover/Range Rover/Jag Indie shop in Pasadena. These cars suffer from the same reputation as the M96 engined P-cars and for many of the same reasons.
They are great bargains if you buy from honest experts like my buddies and they develop a fiercely loyal customer following. It is funny to see the same car change owners but still get serviced/repaired by the same mechanic. As he says to the customers "You may own the Landie, but I'm the one who really takes care of it !":-).
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Good story. Congrats on the new pcar. If you need any help with anything or have any questions that you can't find the answers to in our tech articles here, please don't hesitate to ask! Enjoy!

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 06-30-2015, 12:47 AM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Land Rover - Full disclosure -my buddies run a Land Rover/Range Rover/Jag Indie shop in Pasadena. These cars suffer from the same reputation as the M96 engined P-cars and for many of the same reasons.
Maybe some of us just have a weak spot for picking up strays. I have a rescue dog as well, so....there you go.
I never particularly liked SUVs, but have really enjoyed the LR2. I could readily drive it to extinction without coveting another SUV. They were never 'stylish', but similarly will never (well, for quite awhile) look dated, unlike some to-the-minute vehicles that look out of date in 5 years' time.
Of course, I went back to a 996 i/o a later model after a 7 year hiatus, so there's no accounting for personal tastes.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:00 AM
redriderrick
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great tech articles and affordable parts prices at Pelican, for sure. Thanks Luccia, I'll be placing an order soon for some maintenance items and other goodies. Funny how the "need" and "want" seem to blend together while I'm shopping online.

You guys know that despite their differences, the Landy and the P-Car have one big thing in common. They're both VERY good at what they're built for, which is somewhat specialized. I've driven my Disco 2 to (and perhaps beyond) the limits of its design, which is traversing impossibly rough terrain. But the thing just isn't cut out for long highway miles or cornering at speed. The 911 on the other hand corners flatter than anything I've ever driven and was quite comfy during my 1,100-mile return home, but won't go up the curb to my driveway without dragging the front unless I approach at an angle!

I had an alignment done today at Beck's in Scottsdale. I think I've found a good indie, for sure. After I got her home, I spent about five hours on the paint. I was pulling it out of the garage for pics when the sun disappeared behind some dark monsoon clouds. I'll wait until the light's right.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

the Landy and the P-Car have one big thing in common. They're both VERY good at what they're built for, which is somewhat specialized.
Yes. As opposed to the Range Rover, which is specially designed to transport soccer Moms, one at a time, to the country club for tennis and lunch with the girls.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:14 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redriderrick
Great tech articles and affordable parts prices at Pelican, for sure. Thanks Luccia, I'll be placing an order soon for some maintenance items and other goodies. Funny how the "need" and "want" seem to blend together while I'm shopping online.
My pleasure. haha, that's too funny.

-Luccia
Old 06-30-2015, 11:50 PM
tokika
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and ENJOY!

Quick Reply: Two Days, Two Flights and One New Car