996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 camshaft deviations and IMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Joe C.
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I too have learned a heck of a lot about this as well. Is there any way to tell from the vin or birth date of july 2000 that this porsche has a single or dual row ims without taking it apart? I do feel better having talked to all of you and that I do have time to make a decision and find a qualified technician to replace the ims. Thanks Joe
Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM
Stephen Tinker
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

No - you can't tell until you eyeball the IMS bearing cover.

If it makes you feel any better (??) my Feb 2001 build Boxster S had the dual row bearing when I replaced it in 2010. But it's really a crapshoot and you can have either bearing installed because event though you know the assembly date of the car, you don't know the build date of the engine.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:33 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,590 Likes on 994 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
Cam deviations don't indicate an IMSB failure until the bearing reaches Stage III failure. By this point there's already metal laden oil in the engine.

What you need is a set of variocam wear pads. Bank 1 always wears faster than bank 2 and these are the first thing that will give deviations.

If I were pre- qualifying that engine for an IMSR, I'd have to consider this closely, because though the factory spec is 6 degrees, these wear pads wear quickly once they are worn through the epidermis layer of material. As the wear goes deeper and deeper, the surface of the pad is softer and softer. I always consider any issue that may occur down the road, and if we do an IMSR, anything that ever occurs with a cam deviation down the road is going to get that finger thrown at us as fast as lightning.

It might take 60K miles to get to 6 degrees of deviation, but you can double that amount in only 20K more miles.

This is what you'll find.
Bingo. I've been tracking my cam deviations for the last 3 years, and I thought they were 'fine," as I was seeing -3 and -1 on each bank (a difference of 2). But my mechanic discovered worn tensioner pads on bank 2, and we gained a few degrees of deviation when he replaced the pads on the passenger side. He said that I should go after the driver side now, even though I had a solenoid replaced 5 months ago. So while I don't want to go back in there and spend double money (he said the cams actually have to come out now because the tensioner on the driver side is positioned differently, so its even more labor), I really should just do it.

And yes, my car has 64,000 miles.

I didn't want you to be right about it, as I cannot believe a design like this would require this level of effort at only 60k miles, but I guess it's the way it is.
Old 01-27-2020, 12:40 AM
wkf94025
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 247 Posts

I just checked my cam deviations for the first time, at 52k miles, with a Foxwell NT530 OBD reader. Cam 1 deviation is zero, and Cam 2 is -3*. Two questions:
  1. Many rennlisters mention +/- 6* as the allowable range. Is that each cam from 0*, or the spread between Cam 1 and Cam 2. This has never been clear to me. If Cam 1 is at +3*, and Cam 2 at -4*, is that within spec (both less than 6*) or out of spec (spread between them in 7*)?
  2. Which cam is driver's side / left side?
Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Paulvernon (03-24-2023)

Quick Reply: 996 camshaft deviations and IMS