Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What is under guage dial overlays installed at factory?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 11:25 AM
peterp
Drifting

Received 738 Likes on 447 Posts
Default What is under guage dial overlays installed at factory?

Hello,

I just bought a 996 (which I am loving BTW!) and it has the "interior match" gauge dial overlays. These overlays were definitely installed as a factory option because it is listed as "Instrument Dials Interior Color" on the car's COA. There are two issues with them:

1. The overlays have developed bubbles (a common problem I see from searching Rennlist)
2. I don't like the interior match dials at all and would rather have the standard black gauges

My question is: What is under the factory overlays? I am hoping that the standard black gauge face with dial marking is under them so I can just remove the overlays to change it back to the standard gauges. I've found a lot of threads discussing the bubble issue, but I haven't seen any discussion about what is under the factory overlays. .

Regards,
Peter
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

There is nothing under the factory gauges as the factory ones aren't overlays. You will have to get new black faces.

Are you sure these weren't swapped out at any point? From the looks of it, it looks like it has a protective wrapper on it that can just be peeled away.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:52 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine003
There is nothing under the factory gauges as the factory ones aren't overlays. You will have to get new black faces.

Are you sure these weren't swapped out at any point? From the looks of it, it looks like it has a protective wrapper on it that can just be peeled away.
Thanks. I don't think they were swapped, but I have no way to be certain. A very complete set of records came with the car and I don't see any reference to dial faces being updated, so I think they are what came out of the factory. It does not look like factory quality to me either. I will take a closer look to see if it looks like it is a protective wrapper that is bubbling.

I tried to attach the COA showing the option list, but I've already hit my storage limit with one photo (need to subscribe I guess, I just signed on the Rennlist).
Old 05-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be concerned at what caused that due to heat or possibly the car has herpes.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by Atrox
I'd be concerned at what caused that due to heat or possibly the car has herpes.
The car has always been in the NE and seems to have been well taken care of and maintained (according to service records) all its life, so I would be surprised if it was exposed to extreme conditions for a long period of time. I can't rule out herpes however .

I'm pretty sure it is a factory defect. There are a few threads on this happening to other cars (like this one https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...e-bubbles.html). I searched quite a bit, but none of the threads discussing say what was under the overlay.

From my car and the ones in the other threads, it seems like they did use just a an overlay rather than coloring the face, so I'm hoping it will have the standard markings underneath.

This is another thread with the problem on a 997: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-gauges.html
Old 05-22-2015, 03:22 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by peterp
I'm pretty sure it is a factory defect. There are a few threads on this happening to other cars (like this one https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...e-bubbles.html). I searched quite a bit, but none of the threads discussing say what was under the overlay.
I'm pretty sure those are aftermarket gauges or Dealer installed. I've never seen any bubbling on factory OEM silver gauges on the regular 996(non GT3) at least. The OEM ones are silkscreened onto clear plastic sheets so it would literally be impossible for them to bubble like that.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:50 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm pretty sure those are aftermarket gauges or Dealer installed. I've never seen any bubbling on factory OEM silver gauges on the regular 996(non GT3) at least. The OEM ones are silkscreened onto clear plastic sheets so it would literally be impossible for them to bubble like that.
That would be great news if it is the case because I assume that would mean there are regular black faces with proper marking underneath the overlays. The options list from the COA is below -- my assumption is that the COA would only list factory options rather than dealer options, but maybe that's not a correct. I just ordered a VIN decoding from Suncoast to see if that sheds any light on what was done in the factory.

COA Option List:
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2015, 04:01 PM
alpine003
Banned

That would be great news if it is the case because I assume that would mean there are regular black faces with proper marking underneath the overlays.
There are quite a few aftermarket gauge replacement options that are NOT overlays but the whole gauge face itself where you actually remove the OEM black face and replace it. I happen to have one. Let me see if I can dig one out and take some pics later on.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:58 PM
WalterRohrl
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, that's freaky-looking! Your old girl's a teenager now, looks like she's been running with the wrong crowd and making some bad decisions...Bummer there is no free clinic in this case.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 PM
Gator996
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing a shot of penicillin won't fix.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:39 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

I'll bet you got these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2005-Po...e53343&vxp=mtr

The code for instrument dials interior color (CDN) is different from alu-look insturment dials (X71)
Old 05-23-2015, 12:42 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I'll bet you got these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2005-Po...e53343&vxp=mtr

The code for instrument dials interior color (CDN) is different from alu-look insturment dials (X71)
Where can I see the "CDN" code? I did get the VIN decoding from Suncoast, but it doesn't tell me much (it's in german, and didn't see any thing about dials from google translate).

I don't think they are cheap aftermarket dials -- it is listed as an option on the COA from Porsche -- so the only question is whether it was a factory or dealer installed option. The prior owner kept it 100% stock and maintained it very well at a dealer, so I can't see him putting on cheap dials (still can't be certain I guess, but it would be very out of character from what I see in the records history).

This thread shows it happening to OEM dials (same color) on a 996 GT2/3:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...e-bubbles.html
Old 05-23-2015, 12:56 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Actually Porsche uses or used stick on (decals) gauges for their color gauge face plates. We just replaced the yellow ones on my friends factory 2004 GT3, that was ordered with yellow OEM gauges. There were air bobbles underneath just like yours. Porsche was apparently a little cheap in the option color gauge faceplates on the 996. You may want to look into replacing them with the follow as they are not decals and look great. Must be very careful though when doing this job yourself. http://www.nrauto.com/productsdetail...i=MTQ=&mn=OTk2
Old 05-23-2015, 01:53 PM
peterp
Drifting

Originally Posted by pmkazz
Actually Porsche uses or used stick on (decals) gauges for their color gauge face plates. We just replaced the yellow ones on my friends factory 2004 GT3, that was ordered with yellow OEM gauges. There were air bobbles underneath just like yours. Porsche was apparently a little cheap in the option color gauge faceplates on the 996. You may want to look into replacing them with the follow as they are not decals and look great. Must be very careful though when doing this job yourself. http://www.nrauto.com/productsdetail...i=MTQ=&mn=OTk2
Thanks!!!! I was hoping to find someone who had been through the process of removing them. Did you happen to notice what was under the gauges? Did it have the standard black gauges with all the markings or was it just blank?

Even if the color dials were perfect, I would still rather have the standard black dials, so I'm hoping I can just remove them. The decals they used are not only cheap, but they are pretty poorly marked. I've always admired the legibility of standard dials, so it seems crazy that they would use such cheap and poorly marked material for what was a pretty expensive option (the GT2 thread quotes interior matched dials as an $1100 option).
Old 05-23-2015, 02:12 PM
pmkazz
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks!!!! I was hoping to find someone who had been through the process of removing them. Did you happen to notice what was under the gauges? Did it have the standard black gauges with all the markings or was it just blank?

Even if the color dials were perfect, I would still rather have the standard black dials, so I'm hoping I can just remove them. The decals they used are not only cheap, but they are pretty poorly marked. I've always admired the legibility of standard dials, so it seems crazy that they would use such cheap and poorly marked material for what was a pretty expensive option (the GT2 thread quotes interior matched dials as an $1100 option).
If I remember correctly, I believe that behind the decals were the original black faceplates. However, if you do decide, to change them, the ones from NR (link I sent you) are high quality and not decals.

Quick Reply: What is under guage dial overlays installed at factory?