Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Went to change my pads and found this...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 PM
Gulliver
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Somebody previous already yellowed a couple spots on my inside lenses from too hot bulbs, but the lights work great on my 996.1

My S class AMG has xenon that are by God DAYLIGHT next to anything else I've had though.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM
AfroThunder
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterRohrl
Try this, when the car is OFF, turn the headlight switch to the low beam position, then insert and turn the key to last position before cranking. Both lights should aim up and down to calibrate (have someone else to check or just shoot a video). If one of the lights does not, the servo is bad or it's not getting power.

I just tried that on mine and it works. However I have never been of the opinion that the headlights are particularly bright or good or aimed far enough ahead, and have been wondering if others have the same issue? It's bad enough that on a dark country road at night I am usually not exceeding the speed limit as there is not enough visibility. My others cars, no problem. Are people replacing bulbs, as far as I know mine are original to the car. It's an '02 so I believe Xenons are standard, the headlights do have the little chrome cover thingy.[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Ahsai
You're not alone. I also feel my lights are not getting enough range and my level sensors are not broken. I asked the dealer to check the aiming a few times and they found nothing wrong.
Originally Posted by alpine003
I'm also in agreement and think all 996 projectors are crap compared to some other OEM's out there. It's the less than stellar projector lenses themselves they use that are inferior.

Short of retrofitting new set of projectors, the more cost effective(albeit not the most optimal) solution would be to get the 55w HID kits to fit.

Something like this:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/UltraCanbusHID

Some members have actually taken their lights apart and sanded/polished the projector lenses to improve output. I've only seen pics so can't really comment on if this effort is worth it or not.
Completely agree with all of you. Not gonna lie, total **** projection.

Anyone find any remedies for this? Why'd they make them like this...oh Zuffenhausen...or Stuttgart, wherever you were born.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:49 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AfroThunder
Anyone find any remedies for this? Why'd they make them like this...oh Zuffenhausen...or Stuttgart, wherever you were born.
The only optimal remedy is to retrofit new/better projectors in place of your old ones.

Either a kit like 986 here: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-proje...ng-finish.html

Or another high quality projector like this: http://ddmtuning.com/Products/Projectors-H1-V3-Pair

Don't bother with any of the generic eBay crap projectors. The best ones will have specifications for LUX ratings as well as give any detailed description of the projection characteristics.

Or you can get OEM projectors from an S2000 for example and retrofit those, but it would involve more custom work.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:24 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

One factor no one has mentioned which could affect HID performance is the age of the capsules, these are cars getting on up to 15 years old like mine, my HID headlights come on as soon as I start the car due to DRL set up in Canada, so I would imagine they have a lot more hours than the US cars.

I did notice when first getting the car 4 years ago they were not as bright as I expect them to be, I did a quick calculation and come to an estimate of how many hours the car was "on", it was getting on the range of HID capsules hit the drop-off point in brightness.

So I got a new pair of Philips HID capsules, brightness improved noticeably although not dramatically.

Quick Reply: Went to change my pads and found this...