Sponsored by:

DME Reset

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts
Question DME Reset

I'm getting an engine exchange done in my 996 (to a slightly used 997 block).

What happens to the information stored by the DME when you do an engine exchange? Does it keep all the info (such as over revs) on the old engine and then append it with the info on the new engine? Does it reset? Or, does the new engine's DME info port over?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:04 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless someone reprograms it, the DME cannot tell one engine from another. It only sees the same sensors and actuators on the new engine. In other words, the old DME info on the engine will continue to be updated as if the engine was never replaced.
Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Makes sense. Thanks Ahsai!
Old 04-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black

What happens to the information stored by the DME when you do an engine exchange? Does it keep all the info (such as over revs) on the old engine and then append it with the info on the new engine? Does it reset? Or, does the new engine's DME info port over?
Hope that 997 transplant is compatible with the existing population of sensors and the 996 engine controller.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:12 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Macster
Hope that 997 transplant is compatible with the existing population of sensors and the 996 engine controller.
Guess we'll find out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm sure my mechanic knows what he is doing.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Yup. It works!
Old 04-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple Black

The DME doesn't know the engine has been changed. Because of that all stored info is there and the only way to remove it is to exchange the DME and reprogram it.

But its imperative that when the new engine is installed that the ECU is cleared with a "handover" or whats sometimes called a "system reset".

If this isn't done, the adaptive and etc may have adjusted to the failing engine, and will enrich the new one in the same manner. That can cause issues.

When we install an engine, we perform a system reset before the new engine is even started the first time. We want the adaptation process to occur as fast as possible with the new engines and for none of the old fuel trim and etc to remain in the DME.

Quick Reply: DME Reset