Sponsored by:

Looking at a 2001 996 with a Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:32 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
He's in denial. Who would buy a 180k mile roller for $6.7k Check autotrader.
The uninformed and uneducated guy that doesn't browse forums or internet much and thinks he can fix it cheap since he's rebuilt and worked on a lot of push rod Chevy motors in the past...
Old 04-27-2015, 11:19 AM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schnell Gelb
I share your fondness for the later 944's. So why not a 968 ?Rare but rather familiar to you.So much sounder than a 911 with unknown engine problem$ ?
968 imho are a good looking car, but I do love my 951. I just saw a 62k 996 on ebay with a cracked block. I don't know how you guys own these, it seems an inevitable time bomb with either the IMS or the block cracking.

You guys have nerves of steel.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alpine003
The uninformed and uneducated guy that doesn't browse forums or internet much and thinks he can fix it cheap since he's rebuilt and worked on a lot of push rod Chevy motors in the past...

Depends what's wrong with it. An engine to some extent is an engine and a person who has experence building engines shouldn't have too big of a deal getting one of these up and running. Not saying it would be cheap, but that a person could do it themselves with success.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
He's in denial. Who would buy a 180k mile roller for $6.7k Check autotrader. A 2001 c4 cab is $19k and that car has only 110k miles. Who knows what else is wrong with the car. The transmission could be bad. Who knows. The buyer takes a significant risk buying a roller.
I have walked away from this deal mentally, just not worth the risk. But the LS3 conversion, that to me is the a long-term fix, both financially and mentally for owners planning to hold onto their cars, or having to do a $10k engine swap.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiamac
Depends what's wrong with it. An engine to some extent is an engine and a person who has experence building engines shouldn't have too big of a deal getting one of these up and running. Not saying it would be cheap, but that a person could do it themselves with success.
This is not your father's Oldsmobile!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
This is not your father's Oldsmobile!

No, it's not, it's much more expensive to get parts than any of our parents Oldsmobiles!
Old 04-27-2015, 01:50 PM
alpine003
Banned

No, it's not, it's much more expensive to get parts than any of our parents Oldsmobiles!
Not just that but you also have long time mechanics coming on here for technical help and tips even though they may have worked on 100's of other motors. Although it may be just another "engine", there are a couple gotcha places where you need to seek out specific answers/techniques on this motor along with the correct tools.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:00 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Not just that but you also have long time mechanics coming on here for technical help and tips even though they may have worked on 100's of other motors. Although it may be just another "engine", there are a couple gotcha places where you need to seek out specific answers/techniques on this motor along with the correct tools.

Correct.

What's the issue with that?
Old 04-27-2015, 03:15 PM
alpine003
Banned

Correct.

What's the issue with that?
Nothing wrong with asking for help or assistance. The point is that you have some Porsche specific mechanics that misdiagnose symptoms on these motors all the time and they've been working on these motors for awhile now. Imagine the Chevy guy buying one of these up thinking it's just a abc problem when in fact it turns out to be a xyz issue. At that point, it can go from a $2k fix to over $5k fix for example. Just because you are a general mechanic doesn't mean you can catch or properly diagnose these motors on the first try.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Chiamac
Three Wheelin'

Nothing wrong with asking for help or assistance. The point is that you have some Porsche specific mechanics that misdiagnose symptoms on these motors all the time and they've been working on these motors for awhile now. Imagine the Chevy guy buying one of these up thinking it's just a abc problem when in fact it turns out to be a xyz issue. At that point, it can go from a $2k fix to over $5k fix for example. Just because you are a general mechanic doesn't mean you can catch or properly diagnose these motors on the first try.

This would be motor out and stripped down. Everything at that point would be easy to measure. Anything within specs would be kept, anything outside of specs would be replaced.

That wouldn't be too hard with some resources and a shop space to work out of.

Not saying that someone could up and build a track monster, do cute work with the heads, and really do something custom, just that it would be pretty easy to build a motor to stock - not saying cheap, just not hard.

[edit] plus with shop prices to rebuild these engines, assuming it's going back to stock, I'd rather take a shot at it myself and bring it to someone if I run into trouble than having a shop do it for me. At $100 an hour or more I can do a lot of learning.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:07 PM
alpine003
Banned

just that it would be pretty easy to build a motor to stock - not saying cheap, just not hard.
I think some people on here would beg to differ. Have you rebuilt one of these motors? Everyone's gonna have their own definition of "hard". Perhaps we can get some of the members that have done this to chime in( IM000, Schnell Gab, ByproDriver, etc.).
Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Mine block is still apart but when I first pulled the heads 3 years ago, the gottcha moment for me was the timing of the camshafts between the two banks. Having said that, you need to know how to work on engines pretty good to take it apart. In general, up the the point of only pulling the heads, it's not that much different than most variable timing DOHC engines but after that it starts to get really "interesting".
Old 07-04-2023, 10:34 PM
cdk4219
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 232 Posts

Maybe make it from some aluminum foil. I heard that will last at least 100 years or more.
Old 07-07-2023, 02:16 AM
BRS-LN
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 365 Likes on 149 Posts

The head gaskets are stronger than the block or heads when it comes to the M9X engine. These are multi- layer steel gaskets that simply do not fail. According to my training materials the only head gasket that FSI has seen fail was actually from one of their engines after an owner failed to use a vacuum filling tool to refill the engine after some cooling system maintenance, resulting in an air pocket. It seems that the rest of that story is quite ironic in 2023, even though it happened about 5-6 years ago.

Everything anyone needs to know on the topic of head gaskets/ intermix is covered in this Renncast with Jake Raby
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=p4NHv2izv6g
​​​​​​​

Quick Reply: Looking at a 2001 996 with a Blown Head Gasket