Sponsored by:

Trying to decide between Bilstein PSS10 and Ohlins Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 01:46 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Trying to decide between Bilstein PSS10 and Ohlins Road & Track

I know there are some threads about both - I’ve searched, read, and asked follow up questions. I still feel I have little clue how Ohline Road & Tracks feel on the road on a 996, so I thought just maybe it would help to start a thread specifically focused on how they compare to the Bilsteins. (Particularly as I need to make my decision in a few days.)

I need something that won’t crash or thump any more or worse than the normal stock suspension, especially in the city; that is basically no worse than stock in secondary ride (over small imperfections) and that will smoothly float over imperfect, often undulating country roads, especially when going quickly. Bilsteins seem a pretty safe bet. And Ohlins?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by rs10; 04-18-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM
peteb3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed ohlins on my 02 C4S
Have them on about a week now
Lowered about 1" lower than stock
Ride is a firmer but still compliant and relatively comfortable on my horrendous roads
I have the shocks set at middle stiffness
I use the car as a daily driver
I really like the feel of the shocks you can really feel the dual valve technology
Old 04-18-2015, 04:28 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the the ohlins. I really like them, but I am more track oriented. By your post it looks like your looking more into comfort on the street, with that fact the Ohlins spring rates are 100 or more lbs/in stiffer than the PSS10. The rates of the PSS 10 are about 10-20% higher than the M030. You would probably be happier with the PSS10.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:18 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ohlins are like magic shocks. They ride great on the road and make rumbley road surfaces smooth as a table top.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:05 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by peteb3
Ride is a firmer but still compliant and relatively comfortable on my horrendous roads
In what way do you notice the firmer ride? Do you feel sharper impacts through the car with big bumps and dips? Or small ones? Or is it (also) in a positive way: less roll? Or do bumps/dips raise/lower the car more before the car regains composure (quickly, since they are undoubtedly quality dampers)? Or?

And would it be correct to understand rhat "relatively comfortale" mean OK, but less comfortable than stock?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:07 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

P.S. Wow, I spend a lot of time wondering which way to go with this, and found little input online - and then I start a thread and instantly get lots of helpful replies :-)

Thanks everyone!!!

Last edited by rs10; 04-19-2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

I have the shocks set at middle stiffness
P.P.S. I don't suppose you have any idea how it compares to your stock C4S suspension at a low stiffness setting?

Thanks again!
Old 04-18-2015, 07:16 PM
peteb3
Racer

Originally Posted by rs10
P.P.S. I don't suppose you have any idea how it compares to your stock C4S suspension at a low stiffness setting? Thanks again!

I had it initially set a bit softer but I found it could use more stiffness especially in the rear
Just a feeling
Min all honesty I have had the PSS on a Bmw and these ohlins are a step up
They ride beautifully but the stiffer springs provide awesome handling
Old 04-18-2015, 07:22 PM
peteb3
Racer

Originally Posted by rs10
In what way do you notice the firmer ride? Do you feel sharper impacts through the car with big bumps and dips? Or small ones? Or is it (also) in a positive way: less roll? Or do bumps/dips raise/lower the car more before the car regains composure (quickly, since they are undoubtedly quality dampers)? Or? And would it be correct to understand rhat "relatively comfortale" mean OK, but less comfortable than stock?
Firmer ride in the way it deals with road cracks and breaks especially at slow speed
At faster speeds they really smooth out
Over bumps it absorbs the undulations very controlled and quickly
Definitely less roll but I also installed gt3 seat bars
I also have RSS dog bones which really sharpens up the feedback

Comfort level I would say is sportier than stock but still good for daily driving that I do

It's hard to describe its all up to the individual

I prefer sportier handling with lots of feedback
I hate squishy rides and under steer

These shocks are almost dual personality
They ride out and absorb bumps very nicely but also sharpen up the suspension
Old 04-19-2015, 07:20 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Firmer ride in the way it deals with road cracks and breaks especially at slow speed
At faster speeds they really smooth out
Over bumps it absorbs the undulations very controlled and quickly
Definitely less roll but I also installed gt3 seat bars
I also have RSS dog bones which really sharpens up the feedback

Comfort level I would say is sportier than stock but still good for daily driving that I do

It's hard to describe its all up to the individual

I prefer sportier handling with lots of feedback
I hate squishy rides and under steer

These shocks are almost dual personality
They ride out and absorb bumps very nicely but also sharpen up the suspension
Thanks for the helpful, detailed description! Firmer over road cracks and breaks at slow speed is not what I'm looking for. I live in a city, and while I didn't buy the 996 to drive it here, I have to drive it here to get anywhere. On the other hand, the stock 996 isn't too bad over such things. But that's mine, with the standard suspension and 17" wheels. I wasn't thrilled by the C4S when I tried it on local roads. (Though on smooth roads I certainly was - back-to-back the 997.1 C4S was a clear step down.)

Still, great though the Ohlins surely are, the Bilsteins sound like the better bet for me. (Please tell me the PSS suspension you had on your BMW was no worse over road cracks and breaks than the stock BMW suspension! My old stock BMW suspension was horrible.)

P.S. You probably meant GT3 sway bars, no? I assume you installed them and the dog bones before installing the Ohlins, so "firmer" is purely a result of the Ohlins?
Old 04-19-2015, 07:51 PM
peteb3
Racer

Yes gt3 sway bars
Sorry for the spelling and grammar issues
Typing on an iPhone isn't ideal

I had the RSS links on the car prior to the coilovers

I was starting to get a bit of clunking and general looseness in the suspension
The car is at 100000km so suspension was getting a bit tired and decided to upgrade it

I actually found the stock suspension banging and crashing a bit which was not overly comfortable

The new ohlins rides the rough streets in a much different manner
I would say the compression is stiffer hence a bit firmer ride than stock but the shocks isolate the street better and you get a much more controlled feel over the bumps through the steering

The rebound is where the magic happens and you can feel the difference

Really absorbs and isolates the undulations and rough surfaces giving a very controlled feel

At higher speeds the car rides bumps out very smoothly and progressively

If you want comfort I would say the ohlins are more sport oriented but with comfort built in

As I said comfort is subjective and in the eye of the beholder
I for one am very happy with the results
Old 04-20-2015, 03:59 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Again, very helpful.

I'm thinking the ultimate solution for someone in my situation might be Ohlins with the same spring stiffness as the Bilsteins (if they would be compatible). Possibly even with progressive springs. (Anyone know whether the Bilsteins have seperate stiff and soft springs, or a single spring that is stiffer at one end - and if this makes any difference?)

Though I'm also thinking I would spend a lot of time and money and never get it right ...

Last edited by rs10; 04-20-2015 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:13 AM
rs10
Burning Brakes

And isn't there another advantage to softer springs (or to not going much harder than stock)? Aren't they better in the rain, when you want some weight transfer to the outside wheels, or to the front when braking, without cornering or braking hard (or before you are able to do so)?
Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM
jetskied
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRS 10 why are you looking into coilovers if ride comfort is an issue? What are your goals for your suspension? Improved handling? Track? Ride confort? Lowered height? You need to be realistic on how do you use your car and how much compromises are you willing to give up to achieve that goal. Maybe all you need is new shocks and sport springs.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:05 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Good questions. Not entirely easy to answer. Let’s see how well I can do:

Top priority for me is how the car works on the road. But it needs to work on track too - and I'd be disappointed if I invest in my suspension and it doesn't work better on track.

On the road (and generally on track), I'd like a more tied down front end, more direct steering, better turn in, and a more nimble, throttle steerable car. (I understand there are other things which can help. I will try geometry, and I might try a lower rear to front tire width ratio.)

I'd like to be able to adjust the ride hight both for use on track, and because in the future I hope to invest in removing some weight, and I know you don't have to remove too much before ride height gets all messed up on some/all(?) cars - generally more on one axle than the other.

Then there’s comfort. To have fun where I usually drive, the car has to deal with bad roads. Comfort/ride quality is a tricky issue; maybe it’s helpful to describe what are the biggest challenges for my car (which is pretty good overall – as it should be with standard suspension and 17” wheels) and for many other cars which I've tried here.

First, in city and suburban roads where I drive calmly, or semi-briskly at 25-55 mph, my car could be better. Uneven surfaces tilt the car left and right, and forwards and backwards, probably end up moving my seat up & down a bit, and probably bounce the car around a bit too. Much better than my old M3, but there are still roads where I think I sure hope coilovers will do better. And I absolutely do not want a suspension upgrade that would make this worse. No idea how Ohlins and PSS10s would compare in this.

(Perhaps the looseness of my standard suspension with 17s makes this worse. But I've also tried M030 (ROW) and a C4S, and they seemed worse overall - maybe not in tilting (wasn't clear or don't remember), but definitely on jolts and shocks from bumps and dips.)

Second, what I fear most with coilovers are these jolts and shocks (and thuds, and thunks, etc.). My car may be good enough about this, but I’ve seen that it’s a big problem with many cars. Mainly at low speeds (25-55 mph), but the crappy (but expensive and reputable) coilovers I put on the M3 managed this at 100 too (and did so much more often at lower speeds). Those coilovers had similar front spring stiffness to the Ohlins. Based on this and posts above, this worries me about the Ohlins more than anything else.

Third, I also feer a knobbly ride over small imperfections. Not harsh shocks, but a rattly interior and fidgety feeling. I had this with the BMW, who’s suspension could do no right, but also with a much softer car until I changed from P Zeros to F1 Asymmtric 2s.

Finally, on local roads where I like to drive briskly, a BMW M3, for instance, will pogo all over the road and you have to choose between slowing down or bouncing into the bushes. My car doesn’t do that, I’m 99% pretty sure Ohlins won’t, and 95% sure Bilsteins won’t. (So someone please tell me if they will!)

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between Bilstein PSS10 and Ohlins Road & Track