Sponsored by:

Question on Rear Axle P/Ns and fit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:21 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Question on Rear Axle P/Ns and fit

I have a 99 C4 and the tired axles are P/N 996.332.024.03.
Pelican shows 996.332.024.13 for new axles
I have a used set 996.332.024.06

The used ones i have look the same except the axle itself is larger in diameter. This is as best i can tell with my axles still in the car.

Will these fit my 99 C4?

I have searched and some e-bay of the "this part fits these cars" show it as working and some others just do not list it. The listing i see for the 996.332.024.06 show it on 02 and newer 996s

Thanks for any help
Old 04-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts

Bet you all have just been waiting for an answer to this. The newer axles do fit. I did not realize just how much play my old axles had. The way to test them: ebrake on, clamp a vise grip on the axle with a rag between so you do not gouge the axle. Now use the VG turn turn the axle back and forth. my old axles had about 1/2" of movement at the tip of the 8" VGs. The new axles (used with 35K on them) had essentially zero. New axles made a huge difference in the feel of the car. Almost all the slop you feel when you are on/off the gas in traffic was gone. So if you want to freshen up your High mile car, replace the axles. Also gone was the reason i replaced the axles. I had this noise on the freeway that originally started out sounding like a wood pecker on my right rear fender. When it was happening it would come and go with throttle. Then it would go away for an hour (long drive) and then come back. Finally got to where i was going to park it and call a tow truck. Then it just went away long enough to make it home.

Quick Reply: Question on Rear Axle P/Ns and fit