996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 MK1 cupholder retrofit. (DIY)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:28 PM
riddler777
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996 MK1 cupholder retrofit. (DIY)

So as promised long ago I would post a DIY thread about this option

OBJECTIVE: install facelift cupholders to a 1998 Carrera

TIME REQUIRED: 1-2 hours in a peaceful no-rush pace.

PARTS NEEDED: first of all, it is not enough with only the vents and the cupholders themselves, of course a handy man can customize the old trim panel but I assume it is not worth spending time so you NEED all 4 bits in the picture

TOOLS REQUIRED

* T20 torx head screWdriver
* Flathead screwdriver
* Soft glove or piece of cloth
* Saw/grinder
* Small pliers

I assume that the process described can be applied to any 996 and presumably Boxter as well, I know there is the option of audi/vw style oem cupholders for MK1 996, but I hate the look of those and in my case I would have to lose the oem Satnav (which is more or less useless today but I do like the look of it)

so lets begin:

the ''before" picture

step one using a flathead screwdriver pry of the trim surrounding radio/satnav (no tricks comes easily off)
[imghttp://content31-foto.inbox.lv/albums/r/riddler777/DIY-stuff/DSC05796.sized.jpg?1428158961[/img]

same on the other side

trim removed

next: you need to disconect switches, use the same flathead screwdriver, the connectors sit rather tightly, so be gentle

after the connectors are disconnected and trims removed this is what you should see

the radio frame attaches to the dash with 4 torx screws

you need to undo those, this is where the torx T20 screwdriver comes in handy

TIP just before removing the radio/satnav put the glove on the gear selector/shifter, it is necessary for protecting the shifter against scratching, as the underside of the radio/satnav has sharp edges and is relatively heavy, and will sit on the lever while you are disconnecting the wires

IMPORTANT NOTE find your radio security code if you have it, once the radio/satnav is removed it will request it when you put it later back in.

the radio comes out with a little force pull it slowly towards you, no tricks behind this, but it can be seated rather tightly

disconnect the connectors. radio connectors sit very strongly in place.

the radio removed with frame

remove the radio satnav from the surrounding frame: press the fixing points on both sides of the radio

once that is done, you have to remove the metal frame, that will have to be refitted to the "new" frame

it comes of very simply, just pry off the small metal strips and it slides out

frame removed

install the frame in the new plastic frame, this is a bit tricky, since the opening on the new one is a bit wider some 8-10mm so you have to be a bit more creative with those metal strips and the small pliers

next - slide the frame over the radio unit

make sure it seats correctly and the spring fixings click into place

now it should look like this

install the cupholders by simply sliding them into the frame

make sure that also seats in correctly and the springs click in place

next step before installation is to remove the metal frame that is seated in/behind the dash

it is seated with 2 t20 torx screws

you won't need this anymore

next step is where the saw/grinder comes into action

notice that the vent on the right is longer, the heater in prefacelift cars has the vent channel of different shape in comparison to the facelift heater, so as this is buried deep inside the dash and is rather hard to access, I trimmed the new vents according to the shape of the old ones

wont show how mine were trimmed since that end is invisible anyway

TIP in order to avoid any rattles and sqeaks, I suggest to put a self attaching wool or dense cloth pads in the rails of the air vents as they install rather freely

last step remove the switches your car had originally and install those in the new trim and install the new trim in place, that simply pushes in place until it clicks

input the radio code
Old 04-04-2015, 12:29 PM
riddler777
Racer

there is a small crease noticeable, for the prefacelift PCM1, I don't notice it myself, and with one din radios there is no problem at all

enjoy the cupholders

so hope you like the thread and it is useful to some novice Porsche owners, nothing difficult in doing this. Hope this was helpful
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

Nice write up! Enjoy!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:48 PM
riddler777
Racer

begining to think that if someone has a dead PCM1 screen from a car with these cupholders I could purchase that, just for the front cover and buttons, not that this one bothers me but since the buttons are bit worn and to replace those I would have to disassemle the PCM anyway
Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I respect it but your beverage will be up high for all (the law) to see. Could be a little fragile with that plastic hanging and extended. I've posted this before and it works great. A hole saw, the insert from Pelican and some professional upholstery and you're done. Glued it in with a little silicon sealer so it will come off easy if you want to clean the insert. Only criticism on the forum is the compromised place to rest your elbow but mine rests on the front lip so not a factor.
You solution has a much better finish when closed but I have been very happy with my console solution.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:39 PM
riddler777
Racer

dont you hit those botles with your elbow?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:58 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Nice write up! It doesn't help me one bit as I could care less about the cup holder. I thought you deserved the props for doing such a good and thorough job though!!!

Trending Topics

Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 PM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

Bottles are for amateurs. Pros go with red solos.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 110 Posts

Very nice write-up. Thank you for taking the time to share.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:59 PM
crashclint
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed the read and bonus, PICS!
Old 05-08-2015, 12:01 PM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Great write up and photos. I went the easy way out. $7 for the holder which slips into the seat space and can be reversed or removed in a second.

And before I get comments on how it looks, I don't give a **** what yawl think.

I am not really particular on how it looks. It serves the purpose. Hell I even have small leather boxing gloves hanging from my rear view mirror and a Garmin GPS velcro'd to the dash. How the car drives are more important to me and 'doodlebug' drives like a goodun.
Old 05-08-2015, 02:47 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Cup holders and glove boxes are overrated on a proper sports car. Auto manufacturers are caving in more and more into "Consumer" demands and not necessarily "Enthusiasts" imo. (ex. lane departure warning(check over your shoulders the old fashion way dumbass), backup sensors(try turning your neck), TPMS(get out and do it the manual way), big **** side mirrors(don't drive if you're that blind), etc.

Consumers are dictating how automobiles should be instead of the other way around which is sad. [Rant off]
Old 05-08-2015, 03:44 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Looks good!

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-10-2015, 01:50 AM
rwiii
Rennlist Member

I respect your rant but consumers drive the market. Even though enthusiasts make up a fraction of the market, and given we are influencers, I think I speak for 99% of this forum that wants glove boxers and cup holders. For those who I don't speak for I would encourage you to start a "how to delete a cupholder" thread.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:42 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rwiii
I respect your rant but consumers drive the market. Even though enthusiasts make up a fraction of the market
I agree with your first part and definitely think consumers should drive the market when it comes to appliance cars. However my thinking isn't the same when it comes to niche/specialty/certain performance cars. I can understand that some manufacturers have to stay consistent if they have a broad portfolio of cars to retain the same customer base though.

Quick Reply: 996 MK1 cupholder retrofit. (DIY)