Sponsored by:

Trip to Leipzig... Carrera GT day!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Trip to Leipzig... Carrera GT day!

Should say enough...

I just got back last night from a week in Germany for the Carrera GT exibition. Porsche went all out and had a true first class event for all those that came. I also got to meet fellow Rennlister Colm, as well as some other great folks.

The production facility was nothing short of beautiful. They have not started series production yet, so there was only one car on the line. They are expecting their first series production deliveries this coming December.

Fayence yellow has been a common question. They had a partial car there painted in Fayence so we actualy got to see the color. It seems to be more of a yellow than speed yellow... almost a FLY yellow. Everybody there seemed to like the Fayence, but the question remains as to how it would look on a completed car. Some felt that some of the details would get lost.

The CGT ride was nothing short of spectacular. I rode with Timo Bernhardt in the CGT, Sasha Massen was also driving. Two words describe the feeling... "sensory overload". The car is extremely fast, the brakes are like the hand of G_d, and the levels of grip are astonishing. The engine sound is to die for. Very exotic prototype sound that is quiet and subdued at idle, but turns into a howl once under way. Nothing short of spectacular and the car control those guys have is amazing. A few folks that went on the prior day told us that they had upset stomachs and nasea, nobody from our group had any problems.

They had TT's, GT2's, a C4, and a C4s available for driving on the track. I drove them all except for the C4s (ran out of time). I drove the TT followed by the GT2. The difference between the two is amazing. You can really feel the weight and power difference betweent the two, you could also feel the rear rotating through corners. I problably had the most fun in the C4... as I felt the most comfortable in it. The track laps were paced by factory test drivers, it was amazing to watch how they could hang the rear of the cars out as much as they did.

They also did a 30 minute Cayenne off road trip. I was impressed by the ability of the Cayenne. Very nicely done, though I would still be curious to see how it compares to something like a Landrover or even my Sequoia in the same situation. I drove the only Cayenne TT they had available. They also ran it on the track, it was nuts to watch the thing do a four wheel drift through the corners.

I did take some photos of the event, but have yet to upload them to 986host. Soon enough though.

Regards...
Old 09-01-2003, 04:28 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post Sloth, thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 04:36 PM
blkc4sny
Instructor

I agree with Carlos, Great Post.

Please let us know when you have your pics posted, it sounds like you had a Trip of a Lifetime. I'm going to Germany next month and look forward to visiting the factory and hopefully getting a chance to drive a TT and GT3. I have yet to find a dealer in the NY area that has one to test drive.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 98 Posts

Was the top on or off for the ride? Or did they do both?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:36 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some photos...

Some track worn PCCB with green brake pads.

PR room in the Leipzig facility. Notice the new Exclusive options on the Cayenne...

No photos allowed inside the production facility. More photos to come.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Nick
Was the top on or off for the ride? Or did they do both?
Nick,

The black CGT was run on the track with the top off.

They parked the silver one due to some tranny issues. They later put the top in. Nicely finished, very lightweight.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:43 PM
Greg A
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sloth,

Great pics! Thank you for sharing them. All around it looks like a fantastic experience.

Greg A
Old 09-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, thanks for sharing this with us!
--Pierre
Old 09-03-2003, 09:46 AM
rufie
Advanced

Thumbs up

Thank you so much for sharing this exceptional moment !

After seeing those pics, my feet are way above the ground. I'd better go back to work...

Best wishes,

Rufie.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:54 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interior looks appallingly cheap & too 'busy' Engine bay looks fantatic - very Ferrari like in that it looks like art.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:07 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you see it (interior) in the "flesh" you won't think it looks cheap. It looks stunning!

Quick Reply: Trip to Leipzig... Carrera GT day!