Sponsored by:

Buying '03-'04 996 C4S in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Buying '03-'04 996 C4S in Germany

I'm a New York guy currently living in Germany on a working assignment, and very much enjoying the Autobahn experience, running my Audi at 130 to 140 MPH on roadtrips. Having said that, I'm getting a complex from getting blown off the road by all types of 911's pushing 150+. Accoridngly, I've decided to start looking for an '03/'04 996 C4S, a car I can enjoy during all four seasons on both the Autobahn as well as the mountain roads of the Alps with my dignity intact.

My question relates to mileage and the IMS issue. Reading the many threads on the topic, its suggested that IMS failures tended to hapen to cars that perhaps were underutilized/sat still too much. In that context, does anyone have a sense of what might be a good target annual mileage? In Germany, there are tons of 996's that ran 2k to 3k miles per year (20k to 30k total mileage) all the way up to cars burning 15k to 18k per year. I will certainly do a PPI in all cases to determine if any IMS/RMS remediation has been done, but want to set some parameters to tighten my search. Any thoughts on what a reasonable mileage range I should set as a target?
Old 03-04-2015, 11:26 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

I look at IMS bearing replacement exactly as I look at oil changes, spark plug replacements. Just something you have to do periodically as part of maintenance. My indie told me that as far as he knows, there is nothing specific (frequent oil changes are very good insurance for many reasons) you can do other than check for any oil seepage around the bell housing (which could be either RMS or IMS).
Old 03-04-2015, 11:47 AM
alpine003
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not get a turbo? With a C4S, I'd imagine you'll still get blown away by various cars.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

There's always somebody faster out there...

I drove a 991 C4S on one of the unlimited speed sections of the Autobahn last fall at about 160 mph. There was a modified Audi keeping pace with me, and he eventually passed me. This didn't really concern me or make me feel undignified.

I do agree with alpine's comments on the turbo. The 996 turbo is a bargain right now, and while it isn't without some known problems, the IMSB isn't one of them.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Nedster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still not convinced that, as u say, under-utilized cars are more prone to IMS failure. I am more convinced that once out on the road, the cars that are babied are more prone. I never go below 3000RPM in my car, just to keep the oil pressure up. Also keep the oil fresh and topped up at all times, and i think the chances of that IMS letting go are gonna be slimmer. My car is eleven years old, and it's got just over 30k miles on it. It's parked away (without starting) for 5-6 months each year. I took my IMS bearing out, to replace it with LN, and found that it was almost intact.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...onym-used.html
Old 03-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo
I'm a New York guy currently living in Germany on a working assignment, and very much enjoying the Autobahn experience, running my Audi at 130 to 140 MPH on roadtrips. Having said that, I'm getting a complex from getting blown off the road by all types of 911's pushing 150+. Accoridngly, I've decided to start looking for an '03/'04 996 C4S, a car I can enjoy during all four seasons on both the Autobahn as well as the mountain roads of the Alps with my dignity intact.

My question relates to mileage and the IMS issue. Reading the many threads on the topic, its suggested that IMS failures tended to hapen to cars that perhaps were underutilized/sat still too much. In that context, does anyone have a sense of what might be a good target annual mileage? In Germany, there are tons of 996's that ran 2k to 3k miles per year (20k to 30k total mileage) all the way up to cars burning 15k to 18k per year. I will certainly do a PPI in all cases to determine if any IMS/RMS remediation has been done, but want to set some parameters to tighten my search. Any thoughts on what a reasonable mileage range I should set as a target?
Porsche considers average annual mileage for its sports cars to be in the 6K to 9K per year range. Now with the introduction of the Cayenne and the Panamera and the Macan annual mileage over its fleet of vehicles might go up some.

So, if you believe that a vehicle that has been driven an average of 6K to 9K miles per year is preferable -- at least in the context of the ISMB -- to one that has been driven fewer miles per year then look for a car with annual mileage in the 6K to 9K range.

Obviously, regardless of mileage, you want one that has been well cared for and has no stories.

Given where you are and how you intend to use the car, I have to 2nd the advice to consider a Turbo. The 996 Turbo is a very good GT and brings with it considerably more power and torque. Just what the doctor ordered for the autobahn. You will still get passed as there is alway a faster car, but you will be able to get back up to speed quicker in the Turbo. Its acceleration at almost any speed is impressive. The Turbo brakes are very good and it too has AWD. The car won't be a Snow Cat in the snow but with proper snow tires and attention on your part it will do just fine.

And the Turbo Mezger engine doesn't have the Achilles Heel that is the IMSB the NA engines have.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:05 PM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Guys, Thanks for the great feedback.

Alpine 003 - Would love the Turbo, but I'm already paying taxes in Germany, taxes in the US, have 2 kids in US college, and one in the international school here in Frankfurt which costs about as much as out of state tuition at a NY State university.....so I have to make some trade offs.

Nedster - Regarding my comments about low utility, it came from Porsche enthusiast who owns a 996, and was doing a lot of research with shops, clubs, etc to try to determine what the real failure rate was and what the failures had in common. I can't comment on the accuracy of his research, but his findings said that 97% of IMS bearing failure was in the 3.4l engines (evenly distributed between 996 and Boxters), most happened at relatively low mileage, some were possibly related to not following oil spec, over revving, etc.... I just found his approach interesting and conclusions compelling....but what do I know.

Dennis C - You are absolutely right... there is always someone faster, particularly here in Germany, and sometimes the rocket is a surprise like a Skoda....... Either way, I love being able to drive like I'm getting somewhere, and the speed really forces me to sharpen my focus......my wife....not so much.

Macster - Thanks for the guidance....much appreciated.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:11 PM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Turbo....Hmmm? Maybe if the kids skip a meal or two a week....need to do some more math...
Old 03-04-2015, 06:46 PM
alpine003
Banned

Turbo....Hmmm? Maybe if the kids skip a meal or two a week....need to do some more math...
Just stock up on some Mac N Cheese and Ramen noodle nights a couple times a week.

Plus, aren't you still receiving some royalties from your the show you used to be on?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Dad let us kids forage food at the neighbors' houses so he could afford his bass fishing boat habit.

J/K.

Seriously though if your budget is tight -- and I don't need to know anything about your finances -- the Turbo may not be for you.

The Turbo can be a rather expensive car to own and keep serviced and in good repair. (In early Jan. this year I spent $4600 to repalce 3 leaking radiators, then another $1000+ to have all 4 O2 sensors replaced. And that was just a downpayment compared to what I've spent out of pocket since the car came out of warranty back in June of 2011.)
Old 03-05-2015, 04:21 AM
Ricky Ricardo
Advanced

Thanks Macster......appreciate the good humor and advice. Financial jokes aside, I came into this exercise with a specific set of criteria (including budget), so its really not about being able to afford more, its about staying within he parameters I set for myself. So while the idea of the Turbo, is really appealing, it falls a little outside the parameters I've established.... And knowing myself, once I start rationalizing breaking those parameters...well its a slippery slope.

Alpine, haven't seen you dropping by Club Babaloo...whats up with that?

Jokes aside....what I am struggling with a little is Carbrio vs. Coupe. My understanding is that Coupes are traditionally a little lighter and stiffer, translating into better road feel and performance, while the open top motoring of the Cab provides an entirely different experience. My concerns with the Cab are wind noise at autobahn speeds (with the top up) and leaks. I get its probably very much a matter of personal preference, but welcome any advice.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I don't think that cabriolet roof leaks are a known issue with these cars. At highway speed, they really aren't much louder than a coupe with the top up. With the top down, the wind deflector in place and the windows up, it's still very manageable at highway speed.

The C4S cabriolet is fairly rare and it is really nice looking.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:41 AM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The C4S cabriolet is fairly rare and it is really nice looking.
This is true in the US, not sure in Germany but if it is, this is something you may want to consider for either higher and/or faster resale when it comes time to sell later down the line as I'm assuming you're not gonna be over there permanently.

Now if I was over there, I'd pick a car you can't get here. RS200, mk1 gt3, Lancia Integrale Revolution, etc...

Good luck in your search either way.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alpine003
This is true in the US, not sure in Germany but if it is, this is something you may want to consider for either higher and/or faster resale when it comes time to sell later down the line as I'm assuming you're not gonna be over there permanently.

Now if I was over there, I'd pick a car you can't get here. RS200, mk1 gt3, Lancia Integrale Revolution, etc...

Good luck in your search either way.
Good point. In the US, I believe the C4S cabriolet was only sold as a 2004 model (perhaps 2005 also). In Europe it may be available in a wider range of model years, probably starting in 2003.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:52 AM
rainmn
Instructor

Out of curiosity, did they not have the C4S in Germany in '02? Or is there some difference in the later cars that I'm not aware of.

I only ask as an owner of an '02 C4S, and I see you said '03 or '04.

Quick Reply: Buying '03-'04 996 C4S in Germany