Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Questions about sport exhaust option for MY02/03 996...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 04:38 PM
longhorn911
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Questions about sport exhaust option for MY02/03 996...

For those of you who have MY02/03 996 Coupes with the Sport Exhaust option, how do you like it?

I understand that you can switch it on and off. What effect does that actually have? Does it just simply make the sound louder and quieter?

Any performance (HP or torque) gains?

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2003, 04:56 PM
BostonMarkC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best option Porsche offers

On my 2002, it turns itself on and off as needed, producing a much louder, deeper note. It seems to remove a lot of the "turbine" sound that the 996 makes and replaces it with a deep growl. The sound when you start the car is absolutely amazing.

The 2003 has an on/off switch I believe.

I think Porsche claims a gain of about 1-3 HP. Not significant really.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

According to Porsche, no HP gain, just a more powerful sound.

I think it is worth it as an option. I installed it as a DIY. One part I don't like is that it is somewhat too loud when the engine has not yet been up to operating temperatures. And the sound when the engine is still cold is more like what a racer/ricer wannabe has . Thats where the "quiet" switch would come in handy. One other thing I may not like is the auto-mute at certain speed, but I believe that that can be disabled.

With the engine at operating temp, the sound is perfect. At idle, there is an accentuation of the standard exhaust's bass rumble. This transforms into a healthy growl on acceleration. At high rpm, you actually hear the exhaust rather than the engine unlike the stock.

The again, it's all a matter of taste. My wife, who listens to it while in the car as well as a spectator at DE and autocross, prefers the understated elegant power rumble of the stock exhaust .
Old 08-28-2003, 05:54 PM
cvuplay
Track Day

My '03 came with PSE. I disabled the auto-on feature, and now it's always on -- it was lame that Porsche incorporated this feature <could be due to noise regulations, who knows>. The switch still works whenever I need to mute the exhaust - I just push the off button. Do a search for "PSE" for info on defeating the auto-on feature and wav files.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:57 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PSE on my 2001 996 C2. It's wired "open" all the time and it sounds fantastic. The first version of PSE (up to and including MY01) is louder according to those in the know than the new version which comes standard with the on/off switch to "appease" Euro noise laws. I (like many others) asked the dealer to disable to vacum hose to keep the valve wide open 100% of the time and needless to say it's fantastic. I can't recommed strongly enough to those with the vacum connected to get out there and disable it!!! The sound has also improved over time/miles. It just growls now. I had the Gemballa sports exhaust on my 1999 C2 and I hated it. Complete waste of $$. I've heard many aftermarket mufflers first hand and IMO the RUF (was my first choice) and the PSE systems sound the best...no comparison! They "bark" enough to remind you of that even though the 996 is water cooled, there could be an old air cooled flat six "whomping" behind your head. It just worked out that I ended up going with PSE but either way you will be smiling every time the needle swings past 3000RPM.

Here's a photo of the vacum control box for PSE V.1 Loop the hose and voila. The hardest part is to now resist leaning in to 2nd gear when pulling away from every single stop light
Attached Images  
Old 08-28-2003, 07:15 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Can someone give a brief description of exactly what this vacuum control thing does? What and when it turns on and off? If I'm following this thread correctly there is this vacuum control AND an on off switch. I'm wondering if you have the later iteration with the switch why would you disconnect the vacuum? The switch seems like a neat feature and if you want it loud all the time why not just leave the switch on instead of disconnecting something?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:23 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

You are correct on both points. Version 1, up to MY02 uses a wiring harness (in lieu of switch) that is routed to the ECU. The control module uses the vaccum to close the valve (creating normal exhaust sound) between 2000-4000 RPM (or thereabouts). There is no on/off option other than as described above which manually disables the vaccum and leaves the by-pass valve open full time. BTW, my dealer didn't even bother with the wiring harness as according to them it's a huge pain to install from back to front. The new version, factory installed uses a similar mechanism but incorporates the convenience of an on/off switch to give owners best of both worlds.

For owners of MY02 onwards, the reference to rerouting the vaccum hose is irrelevant.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:31 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Why do you want normal in that RPM range? Is it a resonance problem or do they just feel if you're in that range you're probably driving casually and don't want to really make a racket like when you floor it?
Old 08-28-2003, 07:39 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

The design is to conform to Euro "drive by" noise regulations only (or so I've been told). It was not relevant to the US market. The difference in sound is significant when you've got your foot in deep from low 2nd...through revs.... in to 3rd. I personally am tainted now and could not go back to the non PSE "turbine" whine of the tame by comparison standard mufflers.

IMO no matter MY you've got, it's the best upgrade or option $$ you can spend.:cheers
Old 08-28-2003, 07:44 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

BTW......here is a link to the Porsche Driving Experience web site. There is an overview of the cars there (roll mouse over engine) and you can listen to an audio clip of a PSE equiped 996 (what they use) and a comparison audio clip from a non PSE equiped car.

You don't quite get the full effect, but you can tell one sounds way cool vs. the other!

http://www.porschedriving.com/the_cars.asp#
Old 08-28-2003, 09:31 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the PSE on my '03 Coupe, installed w/o the switch, so the bypass valves are open all the time.

Palting describes it very well. It is louder when the engine is cold, but I actually like that. It's hard not to rev in every gear just to hear the sound. The PSE adds a lot of character to the car - I think it should be what is fitted as standard.

And yes my wife thinks it is too loud.

Quick Reply: Questions about sport exhaust option for MY02/03 996...