Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Metallic particles on the front differential drain plug magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:40 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Metallic particles on the front differential drain plug magnet?

I recently changed the front differential oil on my 2004 C4S and noticed some metallic particles stuck to the magnet in the drain plug. Is this usual/expected? I also changed the transmission oil and saw no metal whatsoever in the drained oil. I do notice some whine from the front end, but had ascribed it to the winter tires as I don't really remember hearing it with my summers on. Anyone know of a differential rebuild diy?
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2015, 01:37 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Differentials are metal particle generators, at least when new. That is one reason why one often finds a factory installed magnetic drain plug in the diff.

Tire noise can really have you worried about the diff or in the case of my 996 Turbo the wheel bearings. What proved to be noisy front tires -- the alignment was a bit off -- had me take my car in for suspected wheel bearing problems. The tech correctly id'd the source of the noise was from the front tires.

You can feel your car's front tires for any signs of alignment problems. Feathering or roughness from the tires not tracking right.

I can also tell you that if the front tires are worn down quite a bit they really get noisy. On another car the front tires were so noisy the noise masked a bad wheel bearing.

If you want and I would recommend it take the car to an experienced Porsche tech and have him give a listen. When I asked about the front diff in my Turbo the techs told me they are seldom a problem and the only symptom is a noisy one. So an experienced Porsche tech has probably heard a few bad front diffs and can tell you if the noise is from the diff.

Sorry, but I am not aware of a DIY for a front diff rebuild. But if it is doable I'm sure someone has done it and has documented it.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:33 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

There's always the RWD conversion if it goes out.

The front diff in my suburban has shed enough metal to make a pinball. Still works for now.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get Paul's microscope and draw your own conclusions!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 934 Posts

I had mine professionally rebuilt by a local independent mechanic when it failed. It was roughly half the cost of having my Porsche dealer replace it. The first symptom of failure was gear whine from the front end.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue

LOL!!!!
Old 01-31-2015, 01:17 AM
silvergray951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 carrera blue
Good advice! I got a microscope and now the particles are much larger and even more scary looking. I'm performing an emergency differential removal as I type this...

Quick Reply: Metallic particles on the front differential drain plug magnet?