996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche factory crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kinda choked a bit at the numbers listed for replacement engine posted (Roadsession) above.
Ho LEE Hammers of hell.
Old 01-29-2015, 03:34 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roadsession
No smartie
A reman 3.6 made in 2008 and beyond started to have improved parts in it from even when they started remanufacturing them circa 2005 but not a 9a1
Really? Are you sure? Which parts exactly?

How is that crow tasting?

I was curious as well, seems the OP cleared it up, thanks though for the reply
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

You can look at the engine serial number to get an idea if it has the new big bearing. There is a thread here somewhere that discusses when the changeover happened by engine SN, in 05 apparently.
Mine was reman in 05 and is in the transition SN so I will have to pull the trans to see. Plan to do that at some point.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:28 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
However, I'm not sure installing a larger or more robust bearing is a drop in with the factory stock 2000 to 2003 cases. There is also the question about the cam chain drive whether it is a single or double row chain and what role this plays in which bearing can be used.
Apparently the new Porsche bearing is readily installable in a 2001 engine as this is what the Porsche dealer put into mine when they rebuilt it in 2011.
I have read a couple of threads from owners on forums, including Rennlist, that indicate that they too have the larger bearing in their rebuilt or remanufactured engines.
The mechanic at my dealer explained that when they order parts, they have to accept the latest part number in the PET system. In the case of my engine, the part number was something like the third or fourth variation of the bearing (such as 996.xxx.xxx.04).

As pointed out, the only way to know for sure is to look at the back side of the engine. My guess is that the chances are high that a remanufactured engine installed in 2011 has the newer bearing
Old 01-30-2015, 10:38 AM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe Ricard
I kinda choked a bit at the numbers listed for replacement engine posted (Roadsession) above.
Ho LEE Hammers of hell.
Actually, I think the replacement engines are a LOT more expensive today. I recall recently seeing $35K and $40K prices (without any labor), but I could be mistaken.

I feel like I got off easy. Mine was only $9.2K years ago.

b-man
Old 01-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
Apparently the new Porsche bearing is readily installable in a 2001 engine as this is what the Porsche dealer put into mine when they rebuilt it in 2011.
I have read a couple of threads from owners on forums, including Rennlist, that indicate that they too have the larger bearing in their rebuilt or remanufactured engines.
The mechanic at my dealer explained that when they order parts, they have to accept the latest part number in the PET system. In the case of my engine, the part number was something like the third or fourth variation of the bearing (such as 996.xxx.xxx.04).

As pointed out, the only way to know for sure is to look at the back side of the engine. My guess is that the chances are high that a remanufactured engine installed in 2011 has the newer bearing

Porsche will not sell a IMSB only a IMS.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:05 PM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are 3 types of bearings for 996's, double row, small single row and large single row. Double row was the original, typical for 99's. Small single rows followed and they have been the least reliable by far. In around 05 the large single rows began. The large single rows require engine disassembly to replace. There is no hard cutoff by VIN for any of the transitions. Not that you get a choice, but if you did you would want the double row. Good service record and replaceable with the transmission out.

Quick Reply: Porsche factory crate engine