Darn License Plate Holder!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:30 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 252 Likes on 195 Posts
Red face Darn License Plate Holder!

Folks,

MY04 996 C2 here. I never payed much attention to it, but I finally noticed that my front license plate holder is not factory/OEM. It's an aftermarket bracket.

I stopped by my local dealer and picked up the 2 square'ish spacers and screwed. For the life of me, I can't get them to stay as the holes on the front bumper seem to have enlarged over time and the expanders on the spacers won't spread open far enough to get a good hold onto the bumper.

Any solutions around this so I can use the factory spacers and bracket? Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edit: My last resort is using a tow hook plate holder. I would prefer not to use one, but when push comes to shove, I will get one. More so, by law, I need to have a front plate.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:41 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Perhaps slightly bigger diameter screws? Second option would be generic plastic insert that would grab the threads positioned in the cover (cut the stems off). GL
Old 01-29-2015, 01:57 AM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

Something like pictured here, in the appropriate size:
http://www.autobodysupply.net/product-p/w-e3271.htm
If you have to resort to that...you'd probably have to remove the stems from the spacers.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:33 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I gave up on mine. My bumper was resprayed at some point and the factory bracket just doesn't stay in the holes.

Bought this and like it much more than the factory bracket.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM
f3d
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devioustrap
I gave up on mine. My bumper was resprayed at some point and the factory bracket just doesn't stay in the holes.

Bought this and like it much more than the factory bracket.
Does that mount with tape or do you screw into the bumper from underneath? Looks pretty cool. I may need a front plate to pass inspection (already 3 months past due )
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by f3d
Does that mount with tape or do you screw into the bumper from underneath? Looks pretty cool. I may need a front plate to pass inspection (already 3 months past due )
Both. You it double stick tapes from the bottom, then to make it more secure, you stick a tiny screw in too.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM
mse
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran into the same issue with the OEM bracket. Moving to screws with a diameter that was a couple sizes bigger did the trick. So far, it seems to hold pretty well using all of the other OEM hardware.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:43 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mse
I ran into the same issue with the OEM bracket. Moving to screws with a diameter that was a couple sizes bigger did the trick. So far, it seems to hold pretty well using all of the other OEM hardware.
+996
Old 01-29-2015, 06:29 PM
TomInNeedham
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Massachusetts, I've discovered you can send in a form saying you've lost your front plate and for $25 the mvb will make and send you a new one. In the meantime you get a form to keep in your glove box good for the year saying you've lost your front license plate. :-)
Old 01-29-2015, 06:35 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 252 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by mse
I will try this, thank you!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:29 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

I went with one of the aluminum tow hook brackets and have been very pleased.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never run front plates and have never got a ticket for it. I think the cops have bigger things on their minds. In any case if I ever do get a ticket I'll just pay the fine and still not run a front plate.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:10 AM
C4911
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

As much as I don't like the looks of the front plate, kinda spoils the front end slightly, it is required in NJ and I would prefer not to give police any reason to pull me over. I do use the Skene product which keeps damage(drilled holes) out of sight.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:53 PM
Mark I
Rennlist Member

A semi kicked up a traffic cone that dead-centered my front plate. The plate, cover, frame, bracket and spacers said goodbye together, leaving only the square holes - and fortunately no nicks to my freshly resprayed bumper. I replaced it with a new factory cover, that needed bigger diameter screws to feel secure (even though you could probably still rip it off with your hands.) I'd like to think it was designed like that, but nah.

Installation reminder/pointer. Although the difference is slight, the right and left spacers are different to accommodate the contour of the bumper. Again GL with the fix.

Quick Reply: Darn License Plate Holder!