Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winter / salt / rust - how best to take care of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2022, 03:09 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
can anyone advise what the big deal is with the foam type soap? does it do the job of a wash fit, or what?
First of all, it makes the car wash more fun FWIW. Foam should stick to the car more than just soapy water helping to soften any dirt that is on the car body. If you use a good product it will help lift a lot of the dirt, vs soapy water that will just quickly run off. There is a lot more to it but a proper wash technique will go a long way in maintaining nice paint finish and not adding a crap load of swirls and scratches.
The following users liked this post:
wdb (12-28-2022)
Old 12-28-2022, 04:29 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by plpete84
First of all, it makes the car wash more fun FWIW. Foam should stick to the car more than just soapy water helping to soften any dirt that is on the car body.
It really is more fun isn't it? But yes, the idea is to hold the moisture and soap against the dirty stuff longer and hopefully loosen it up. I've added it to my winter maintenance and I like it.

As for commercial car washes, one of my main concerns is whether or not they filter out the salt when they recycle their water. I haven't been able to find a substantive answer. If they don't, they're pressure blasting saline solution into every nook and cranny of your vehicle. Not good.

Last edited by wdb; 12-28-2022 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:36 PM
plpete84
Drifting

Received 1,770 Likes on 903 Posts

I'm probably in the minority but I never go to any automatic car washes, especially in the winter and I find hand washing my car enjoyable and therapeutic. During winter, I'll wait till it gets closer to 40 and I'll do a rinse-less wash. Car is usually back to clean in under 45 mins.

Quick Reply: Winter / salt / rust - how best to take care of the car?