Sponsored by:

Springs and Struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 09:04 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Springs and Struts

Hi All - I’m replacing rear struts and plan to stick with OEM. I don’t want to replace the springs if unnecessary. Do springs lose integrity over time?

Thanks for thoughts!
Old 01-25-2022, 07:44 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

Good question. Contrary to shock absorbers the springs don't wear in the sense that they change stiffness or collapse/sag over time. They might settle a little at the beginning of their service life but that's it.
Low quality springs can settle quite a bit, though.

The only thing you should check for is whether a piece has broken off at either (typically lower) end of the coil. This can happen when grit between coil and spring base has worn through the powder coating and rust has progressed so far that the spring breaks at that spot.
A giveaway sign for that is when the car is no longer level across the axle, I.e. left to right.
In that case the spring is to be replaced.

It is very good practice to change the yellow/brownish bump stops (made of PU) as they do wear and actually do far more than 'bump stopping' wrt body and wheel control.

Last edited by hardtailer; 01-25-2022 at 09:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hardtailer:
Brian_C (01-25-2022), dougn (12-28-2022), dporto (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 08:47 AM
FLT SIXX
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hardtailer
It is very good practice to change the yellow bump stops (made of PU) as they do wear and actually do far more than 'bump stopping' wrt body and wheel control.
Ha! I just got done replacing my struts. Factory original parts on a 2002 with 109,000 miles on it. I had zero evidence bump stops ever existed on three of the four corners and a couple crumbles of bump stop trapped up inside the boot of one corner - proof positive that they disintegrate over time. Even if they look intact, be sure to really inspect them and make sure they aren't just going to crumble at their first impact.

Last edited by FLT SIXX; 01-25-2022 at 08:48 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FLT SIXX:
Brian_C (01-25-2022), dporto (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 11:18 AM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 416 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT SIXX
Ha! I just got done replacing my struts. Factory original parts on a 2002 with 109,000 miles on it. I had zero evidence bump stops ever existed on three of the four corners and a couple crumbles of bump stop trapped up inside the boot of one corner - proof positive that they disintegrate over time. Even if they look intact, be sure to really inspect them and make sure they aren't just going to crumble at their first impact.
How does the car ride with the new shocks? Just got a set of B4s and will be insing them in the new couple weeks.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:32 AM
FLT SIXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
How does the car ride with the new shocks? Just got a set of B4s and will be insing them in the new couple weeks.
I won't know till spring. It's a fair weather only cab and I just shoveled 3" of overnight snow off the driveway. In between meetings today I'm finishing up the last of the repainting of the Brembos that are all off the car. I used Koni Special Active's and replaced all the suspension links, control arms, tie rod ends, swaybar links and bushings all at once. Should ride like a new car! I bought it all worn out - I'm not going to know how to drive it after the alignment shop.
The following users liked this post:
Jdub67 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 12:57 PM
elwoodcg
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT SIXX
I won't know till spring. It's a fair weather only cab and I just shoveled 3" of overnight snow off the driveway. In between meetings today I'm finishing up the last of the repainting of the Brembos that are all off the car. I used Koni Special Active's and replaced all the suspension links, control arms, tie rod ends, swaybar links and bushings all at once. Should ride like a new car! I bought it all worn out - I'm not going to know how to drive it after the alignment shop.
This sounds eerily like me save for the caliper repainting. It’s in my radar though.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:17 PM
golock911
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 433 Posts

When I first started looking at suspension options, I measured the height of my chassis to ground. The US spec is 157mm +/-10mm. My car measured 137mm to 141mm. This is lower than the ROW spec, albiet within tolerance. The funny part is that visually, the car looked really high. But this may be biased from looking at all the cars posted on Rennlist, where most have been lowered in some way.

Bump stops? Crumble city. Replace them.

Whatever you do, you will notice a significant improvement.
Brian_C (01-25-2022)
Old 01-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Brian_C
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Great responses everyone! Kind of figured the springs wouldn’t lose integrity unless rusted. Appreciate the guidance. Yeah, bump stops are a given to be replaced.

I’m just replacing the rear struts as the PO had a complete overhaul of the front. Seems many of the components aren’t necessary to replace (arms and such). But the components will be inspected including the upper mounts. I don’t understand why the PO replaced EVERYTHING up front except the upper mounts - I found the bushing had failed on one and replaced it. Can you imagine spending 5k for a front overhaul and get it back with a rattle up front?
igrip (12-28-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 04:18 PM
Hazmat1071
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have a link to the front/rear bump stops I should be getting when fitting KONI Sport shocks and struts with an Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set?

I found these online, but am not certain:

Fronts:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...Y#backToTopAnc

Rear:
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...bump_stop.html
Old 02-01-2022, 04:40 PM
FLT SIXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hazmat1071
Does anyone have a link to the front/rear bump stops I should be getting when fitting KONI Sport shocks and struts with an Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set?

I found these online, but am not certain:

Fronts:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...Y#backToTopAnc

Rear:
https://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/20...bump_stop.html
Those are all correct / will work. When you do the Koni swap they tell you to save/reuse your factory bump stops. These are to OEM specifications. You're good.
Hazmat1071 (02-01-2022)
Old 12-24-2022, 12:01 PM
CraigT!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Having a set of the Techart lowering sport springs installed on the 991.1 base/non PASM next week. While having these installed I am having the shop swap out the OEM springs and install Bilstein B6 strut/shocks that I have ordered. Can't wait for the results
Old 12-28-2022, 01:40 AM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

Good question. Contrary to shock absorbers the springs don't wear in the sense that they change stiffness or collapse/sag over time. They might settle a little at the beginning of their service life but that's it.
Low quality springs can settle quite a bit, though.

The only thing you should check for is whether a piece has broken off at either (typically lower) end of the coil. This can happen when grit between coil and spring base has worn through the powder coating and rust has progressed so far that the spring breaks at that spot.
A giveaway sign for that is when the car is no longer level across the axle, I.e. left to right.
In that case the spring is to be replaced.

It is very good practice to change the yellow/brownish bump stops (made of PU) as they do wear and actually do far more than 'bump stopping' wrt body and wheel control.
excellent info, ty. going to be replacing my struts down the line, and will inspect the springs and replace if damaged.

my question is, how about the mounts? I see a lot of people replace them, especially in the front. Is there are a way to tell if they've worn or are they something that should be replaced at this age? Front and rear?

Other than bump stops and possibly top mounts, any other components within the coil-strut assembly?

Last edited by pulpo; 12-28-2022 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:41 AM
hardtailer
Burning Brakes

Received 341 Likes on 232 Posts

I would replace the top mounts (incl the thrust bearing on the front struts) when replacing shock absorbers.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:43 PM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,291 Likes on 709 Posts

I would replace the top mounts (incl the thrust bearing on the front struts) when replacing shock absorbers.
Agree. I'd also go with the shorter, RoW sport suspension bump stops when using lowering springs. You don't want to get into them too soon.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:34 PM
pulpo
Pro

Received 369 Likes on 211 Posts

great to know. thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Springs and Struts