Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Winter / salt / rust - how best to take care of the car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:41 AM
roadsession
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've read that salt-away does a great job
Apparently other anti salt sprays make it worse because the acid eats away at the paint
The following users liked this post:
peterp (12-18-2022)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:45 AM
dbarks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy
As previously mentioned, these cars are very well protected against corrosion. Germany has winter too.....

My routine for all of my cars is to regularly run them through a TOUCHLESS (not the whirling scratching brushes) carwash that has a good underbody spray, especially after it has snowed. When time and temperature allows, I wash them in my garage with a rinseless wash (Optimum No Rinse). I give them a full spring clean with a scrub of the wheel wells, polish/wax, etc.
I have never taken one of my German cars through a carwash. I always prefered to wash it myself. The idea of the undercarriage spray to clean salt away that is difficult to get to makes sense. It seems though that I read a Car and Driver article one time where they damaged the 996 in an automatic car wash. Maybe the rails are too high or the stop plate too high???
Old 01-11-2015, 11:47 AM
3cyltrbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gulliver
*don't drive it in the salt..?
My thoughts exactly

Frankly it would seem wrong to drive one in winter.

In my search I've completely ignored cars that were exposed to a northern winter (road salt / extreme cold etc...)

Winter driving is what winter beaters are for.

just my opinion

Will
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
Frankly it would seem wrong to drive one in winter.
Well, I respect your opinion - it can make sense to make some sacrifices in order to take care of the car.

My view: it would seem wrong not to drive it every chance I get!

That's reason enough for me. What's more, winter provides some driving thrills that summer can't.

(There's also a view, expressed elsewhere in this forum, that letting the car sit all winter causes it's own problems.)
peterp (12-18-2022)
Old 01-11-2015, 02:52 PM
fmmoto
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3cyltrbo
Winter driving is what winter beaters are for.

just my opinion

Will
....But if you drive the 911 enough it will become a winter beater...
Old 01-11-2015, 02:57 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarks
I have never taken one of my German cars through a carwash. I always prefered to wash it myself. The idea of the undercarriage spray to clean salt away that is difficult to get to makes sense. It seems though that I read a Car and Driver article one time where they damaged the 996 in an automatic car wash. Maybe the rails are too high or the stop plate too high???
I don't do the ones that have rails or stop plates. The one I frequent is just a drive in and park, you drive over the underbody spray bar as you enter. The sprayer moves around the perimeter of the car to clean it. When weather doesn't permit a proper wash, it's sufficient to get the worst of the gunk off. German cars are no different than any other car, the car wash won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted by rs10
My view: it would seem wrong not to drive it every chance I get!

That's reason enough for me. What's more, winter provides some driving thrills that summer can't.

(There's also a view, expressed elsewhere in this forum, that letting the car sit all winter causes it's own problems.)
I'll take a car that's driven over a car that's sat, any day. Cars aren't designed to sit idle, it brings all sorts of issues. Besides, driving a Porsche in the winter on snow tires is a blast.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was a kid I lived back east just outside of Boston. We had what my dad called the good car and a beater that we drove in bad weather and the winter snow. The good car stayed in the garage during bad weather and when the roads were salted but we always had a blast driving the beater car. I'm pretty sure that if my dad had a Porsche it would have been in the garage during the winter. I been lucky to live in Vegas or southern california as far as weather goes so my cars stay cherry and I get to ride my bikes year round.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:15 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rs10
And BAD.TAG, really just the threads of screws? I mean, what you wrote seems entirely clear. I just wouldn't have thought these were the only parts that need protection, nor the most valuable - but then if I were sure I knew much about rust protection, I wouldn't have started this thread ...
Depends on what you can reach. If you can see the head of the bolt and nut then I cover that as well. Living in the NE I have encountered my share of frozen hardware on other cars, so maybe its a bit paranoid but I dont think it can hurt.
I'm looking at it from a "should I ever need to get this loose" point of view, but I'm sure you could broaden the application as you see fit. Its a bit thick for moving parts like latches though, as I noted.
If you think of something else that would make sense, post it =)
Old 01-11-2015, 11:18 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbarks
I used to work at one back in high school. Its the guide rails that damage the rim. If the rim was too wide it would grind away the inner lip as it rolled through
Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
ditto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars don't last forever. Drive it hard, fast and long so it dies of mechanical failure instead of slowly rusting away.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:29 AM
AKB991
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default let it snow...

no one has posted here for a long time but the issue still remains. I have two cars - 991 and 964 so one of them has to be driven in the NE winters with lots of snow, potholes and yes, salt. 964 has never seen snow nor rain ( in my possession, can't speak for her first 24 years of life) so its the 991.1 that gets winter duty. I know this is taboo for many but I won't give up one of the 911's for a winter beater though that would make a lot of sense.
So how do you guys get to the under carriage ? Do you have the car lifted and sprayed clean or relying on some on the ground system you can drive over ? The local car wash has some "under carriage spray" but I've never taken any porsche through the regular wash - they've always been hand washed by me or others. Problem is, I don't know how to get under the car- I suppose I could jack it up and put her on jack stands ? Then again, I won't be able to have water during the winter time. HELP !!!?!
Old 06-13-2017, 02:03 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I live where winters are long and roads get heavily salted. A good trick is to put a lawn sprinkler under the vehicle and let it run for a half hour or so. But, salt is a killer even if you try to wash it off. My 911 stays in the garage in the winter.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:36 PM
wheeler2008
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should use a pressure washer, rid your car’s exterior of brine deposits through regular bursts of water with mild detergent without scratching. And you also need to repeat wiping until the surface is without any salt stain and shows glow. For the undercarriage, spray it profusely as well.
Old 12-11-2022, 11:59 PM
Leeroy89
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 82 Posts

Has anyone actually ever seen a 996 with a rust problem? I have not.

German cars can handle winter weather.

They don’t melt in the rain like Ferraris do
​​​​​​​
GC996 (12-12-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 11:58 AM
Willys 47
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Must haves

Old thread but, undercarriage wands

and a quality former should be in everyone’s toy chest.
The following 2 users liked this post by Willys 47:
dporto (12-12-2022), wdb (12-12-2022)

Quick Reply: Winter / salt / rust - how best to take care of the car?