996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Lower Temp Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 03:00 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My Cayenne started taking a long time to warm up and was running as low as 62C on the highway and made about 85C in traffic. Oil temperature was no different and remained at the 90C it always runs at; gas mileage really went to sh*t though.

Thermostat has been replaced and I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:27 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD.TAG

Hartech sums it up as follows:

... but the main benefit is that when the car is driven under full power – even though the system as a whole is still comparatively slow to respond to sudden coolant temperature increases – the thermostat has now fully opened before the original normal running temperature has been reached (which increases coolant speed) and protects the pistons by lowering their temperature of the hottest ones and by this increasing the oil film strength
Again, once the thermostat opens up during a drive, I highly doubt that the engine temperature will lower to a point where it will close up again. Therefore, after the engine is warmed up, the thermostat function is done - I think. So while I truly respect the source, it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mcbit
My Cayenne started taking a long time to warm up and was running as low as 62C on the highway and made about 85C in traffic. Oil temperature was no different and remained at the 90C it always runs at; gas mileage really went to sh*t though.

Thermostat has been replaced and I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Don't the engines pretty much stay warm all the time in that part of the world? You could probably just explant it and still be OK.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
I knew this thread would go nowhwere as there are nothing new to discuss.

Not sure why Macster felt the urge to call ppl dumb. To me, Jake Raby and Hartech are far from dumb. My used oil analysis actually shows LESS wear after low temp thermostat install, definitely not MORE wear.
Companies with a lot more skin in the game that Hartech or JR have done quite a bit of research on the ideal temperature ranges for engine operation. Tests have found as engine temperature goes down wear increased dramatically.

Hartech apparently tested two cars...

While I note Hartech claims thousands of cars are at risk from some horrid problems running the factory T-stat yet Hartech offers to sell every owner an extended service/warranty package.

Run whatever T-stat you want. I do. Mine just happens to be the one sanctioned by the factory.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubik
Again, once the thermostat opens up during a drive, I highly doubt that the engine temperature will lower to a point where it will close up again. Therefore, after the engine is warmed up, the thermostat function is done - I think. So while I truly respect the source, it doesn't make sense to me.
The thermostat is not a digital device that it's either open or close. It can open partially at some specific temperature. Also it's located AFTER the radiators where the coolant has already cooled down.

http://lnengineering.com/index.php/p...nc-gasket.html
Old 01-09-2015, 03:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by alpine003
One thing that hasn't been discusssed too much in other low temp threads is gas mileage. Gas mileage could go down a bit using lower temp thermostat. Don't believe me? Trying running one without a thermostat and report back on your gas mileage.

My factory spec one has been doing just fine in my engine for the past 125k miles. I don't feel a need to fix something that ain't broke, but that's just me.
I observed no mpg difference for the type of driving I do. 10 miles local traffic twice a day. YMMV of course. I'm pretty sure if you remove the thermostat you will see lower mpg.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM
soverystout
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't the engines pretty much stay warm all the time in that part of the world? You could probably just explant it and still be OK.
You really need to read the Hartech Article.

I've had the LTS (and housing from LN) in my car for over 4 years now on a daily driven 2003 C2. Here in Northern Delaware (just outside of Philly) we get all the seasons and all the various types of Weather. It was 11 degrees yesterday and it can be 100+ in the summer.

I have noticed no fuel economy loss, no signs of heavy engine wear, and no issues with the cabin heat getting up to a nice hot temperature. I change my own oil (cough cough Macster) and run every other sample through Blackstone labs.

I've owned the car for 5.5 years and 40,000+ miles. The stat has been in place for 4.5 years and 36.XXX miles.

The low temp stat can't be called "the dumbest move one can make" simply do to the fact that is a blanket statement across all vehicles. You need to do what is appropriate for your vehicle. And in the case of the normally aspirated 996 (you may not even be able to make the same claim for the Boxster or 996 Turbo) converting to a LTS is a beneficial upgrade. Read the Hartech Article!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:33 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Everyone realizes that the "article" that is being referred to is just a long drawn out ad for Hartech right?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Macster
Companies with a lot more skin in the game that Hartech or JR have done quite a bit of research on the ideal temperature ranges for engine operation. Tests have found as engine temperature goes down wear increased dramatically.

Hartech apparently tested two cars...

While I note Hartech claims thousands of cars are at risk from some horrid problems running the factory T-stat yet Hartech offers to sell every owner an extended service/warranty package.

Run whatever T-stat you want. I do. Mine just happens to be the one sanctioned by the factory.
So you truly believe that these vendors are trying to get rich by selling this $100 part? And JR is risking all his reputation by putting in a part that will create MORE wear and no benefits in all the M96 engine he builds/rebuilds?

And Porsche must be dumb too because they went with a lower temp thermostat for 997s?
Old 01-09-2015, 05:53 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,167 Likes on 796 Posts

And still no one has directly answered my question.

"A thermostat still controls engine temperature when it's open, it can close if it gets too cold or full open once it gets above a certain set point."

Nothing personal and with all due respect Paul, that's just silly - how could it possibly get "too cold" with the engine running? Simple - it can't. And, no the thermostat doesn't "control temperature" once it has opened.

[/b] "If you didn't have one in the car, it would not get to normal operating temperature in most ambient conditions, or at least the cooler ones. "[/B]

Duh...

"So you truly believe that these vendors are trying to get rich by selling this $100 part?"

Companies do it all the time. Many companies exclusively sell merchandise that's very inexpensive (Dollar General comes to mind) and they're very successful (rich). Perhaps this is an anomaly in the Porsche world (no fooling...) but I'm sure this isn't the only part they're selling, and the margin on a $100.00 Thermostat must be huge...

**So, the challenge stands to the EXPERTS with all due respect - Please explain how a thermostat can affect/control/reduce (whatever you want to call it) the operating temperature of an engine once it has opened fully to pass coolant. I don't pretend to know the answer unequivocally - I'm just very skeptical, and it's my feeling that it can't (and no one has satisfactorily explained otherwise).
Old 01-09-2015, 08:34 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Read all the points for/against a low temp t-stat and had to decided to go with one. Until I showed up to my indy to have it done (along with new water pump).....he politely told me that he will NOT do it. Yes, he read all the studies and articles but simply did not buy it. Oh well, I have a factory t-stat in my car now.

P.S. Anyone remember what temps the OEM vs low temp opens? Is it 180 vs 160?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 PM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kromdom
P.S. Anyone remember what temps the OEM vs low temp opens? Is it 180 vs 160?
I believe it opens up at 180 but the fan kick in temp is 192 degrees if I am not mistaken.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:52 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

I believe it opens up at 180 but the fan kick in temp is 192 degrees if I am not mistaken.
Stock thermostat: starts to open at 186F and fully opened at 210F.
Low-temp thermostat: starts to open at 160F and fully opened at 185F.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:54 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 264 Likes on 179 Posts

It always amazes me how with this part it seems everyone is in one camp or the other and very passionate about it. Makes for long controversial threads. Will there ever be a consensus?
Old 01-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Of course no consensus

Other dead horses: I*S failure (5% or 10%?), best IMS solution, engine oil, transmission oil, n-spec tires, short shifters, anti-seize on spark plug or not, brake vibration dampers or not, clutch helper spring or not,...

All have very little to no scientific proof to convince people one way or the other.

Quick Reply: Lower Temp Thermostat