Sponsored by:

Starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:43 PM
Robert Barnesky
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting issue

I have a 2007 Targa 4S that has become "difficult" to start after having been stopped after driving 5-10 miles, running an errand and coming out and attempting to restart the car.
The battery has been checked and the tests show that the battery is strong.
During this difficult restart, the car will "misfire" and stop the start cycle and the spinning of the engine. Other times it simply won't fire.
Turning the key off and attempting to restart again will usually start on the second try. Sometimes it takes a third try.
The car starts flawlessly whenever it is cold.
What's going on and what's the "fix?"
Old 01-07-2015, 11:09 PM
c4racer
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Maybe it's not done resting yet!

Mine takes longer to start sometimes after sitting a few hours. Normal when cold or warm. Sometimes injectors can bleed down causing that. For me it's not something I'm actively worried about just yet.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:32 AM
hernandezja
Advanced

Not sure if this helps but my 996 4s was sometimes having starting issue. Right before I purchase dealer put new battery so I knew that was good. What I was experiencing was sometimes when cold or hot (not always) I would take a lil longer than normal to turn over....while doing normal maint to car oil, filter etc I changed spark plugs. All plugs looked original and in normal shape for the mileage, but once I replaced them my startup issue went away..now it usually turns over in to clicks...maybe might be same for u...just my experience. I would think poor spark would also cause a misfire as well...cheaper to start with plugs before u interrogate coil packs.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

Battery - you've eliminated this by having it checked.
Ignition switch - maybe, but I don't think from what you said it is this
Bad connections - clean battery terminals and cables, check and clean battery ground and engine ground wires, make sure there is no corrosion at the grounding points
Starter - probably looking at a new starter/solenoid. When mine went bad it always started when cold. As the engine got hot the starter got heat soaked and failed. Most of the time when hot it would just go "clunk" and then nothing. Would often take 3-4 start attempts before it would engage, or I had to wait 20-30 minutes for it to cool down before it would start. I replaced the starter and all has been perfect for 3 years now. Never fails to start first time hot or cold.
Are you getting any CEL's? If it is failing to start due to engine ECU management, perhaps a CEL code is getting thrown that may help you diagnose.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Barnesky
I have a 2007 Targa 4S that has become "difficult" to start after having been stopped after driving 5-10 miles, running an errand and coming out and attempting to restart the car.
During this difficult restart, the car will "misfire" and stop the start cycle and the spinning of the engine. Other times it simply won't fire.
Turning the key off and attempting to restart again will usually start on the second try. Sometimes it takes a third try.
The "misfire and stop" Makes me think of crank Position Sensor? (CPS) Sometimes when they start to go bad they get intermittent.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:54 AM
Rubik
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb111
The "misfire and stop" Makes me think of crank Position Sensor? (CPS) Sometimes when they start to go bad they get intermittent.
Would the bad CPS throw any specific code?
Old 01-09-2015, 08:07 AM
zachsdad1
Instructor

I vote CPS too. Hasn't happened on my Porsche, but experienced identical issues on my E-class. No codes prior to failure.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:45 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

I had a similar issue in my 99 and read lots of stuff about a heat soaked starter.

Possible culprits include the wiring from the battery to the starter, the starter itself and the CPS as indicated above.

My mechanic replaced the wiring from the battery to the starter. Didn't resolve the issue though. It was really frustrating. I was going to have him dive back in there but an unplanned but smoothly executed wheel/roof inversion event mooted the issue.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

By "misfire" what do you mean? Does the CEL come on and are there misfire error codes available? Or does the exhaust backfire or do you hear the intake spitting back?
Old 01-09-2015, 10:01 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote CPS as well, happened to me & sounds familiar.....
Old 01-09-2015, 10:21 AM
Invius
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DTMiller
I had a similar issue in my 99 and read lots of stuff about a heat soaked starter. Possible culprits include the wiring from the battery to the starter, the starter itself and the CPS as indicated above. My mechanic replaced the wiring from the battery to the starter. Didn't resolve the issue though. It was really frustrating. I was going to have him dive back in there but an unplanned but smoothly executed wheel/roof inversion event mooted the issue.
Wheel/roof inversion. Best description I've ever heard for rolling a car. Genius!
Old 01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
Robert Barnesky
8th Gear

Default CPS Censor

Originally Posted by fpb111
Is replacing the CPS sensor in my 2007 997 an easy fix? Where is the sensor located and how do you get access it?
Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
zachsdad1
Instructor

it was very easy on my MB. I just looked on pelicanparts.com for info on the Porsche. It's located on the cylinder head, held in by a torx screw. Looks to be a quick DIY once you locate it.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Is replacing the CPS sensor in my 2007 997 an easy fix? Where is the sensor located and how do you get access it?
Thanks.
Figure #4 here http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ne_Sensors.htm

It shows a 996 but yours should be similar.

When the engine fails to fire, does the starter spin slower than normal or it's spinning at normal speed but the engine just would not fire?

Pay attention to the tach needle next time you crank and see if it bounces. If it does NOT, definitely you have a problem with the CPS or its wires. If it bounces, it's not conclusive.

Do you suspect the starter meaning does the starter ever quite spinning when the key is engaged?

Last edited by Ahsai; 01-09-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

As others have caught my forgetful omission of the CPS, sorry forgot about that, I think they are correct. If the starter is spinning normally and engaging, engine turns over but you have a "no fire in the hole" start, more than likely the culprit is the CPS (crankshaft position sensor). Check wiring to the CPS as well.

Quick Reply: Starting issue