Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Engine failures

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014 | 03:56 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Dammit, I'm gone to Spain for a week. When I finally get decent internet service, I check the "good week in the 996 forum" to see what's up, and see talk about epic stupidity again this week. So I start browsing and find "VOILA" another freakin' IMS thread, this time setting a true standard for idiocy. My real disgust, though, is that you guys let it get this far without even one decent photo:

BOOBIE THREAD!!!

Last edited by FRUNKenstein; 12-29-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2014 | 04:32 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Dammit, I'm gone to Spain for a week. When I finally get decent internet service, I check the "good week in the 996 forum" to see what's up, and see talk about epic stupidity again this week.
You know, I just remarked to my wife the other day that I was shocked that there hadn't been an IMSB thread for a week and then one pops up. Now you say you've been away from the internet for a week...

So it's your brigade of sock puppets that has been perpetuating the IMSBS all this time. Nicely done sir, too bad you slipped up there at the end and gave it away.
Old 12-29-2014 | 04:40 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Just tryin' to make a little lemonade out of the abundance of raw material provided herein.

Oops - almost forgot to add the sweetener:
Old 12-29-2014 | 04:50 PM
Paul Waterloo
Rennlist Member

Did I mention that I just purchased a new trickle charger?

Old 12-29-2014 | 05:17 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Contrary to the OP's post, actual failure of the bearing itself has been traced to an almost exact cause, thanks to Jake and his crew. You only have to read about it for the theory to make perfect sense.
Old 12-29-2014 | 05:43 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Sometimes, just sometimes, mechanics can go haywire. Normal goes to unusual with just a very little effort. Sometimes all it takes is a lack of lube...other times it just may take a cool breeze. Case in point...
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2014 | 06:11 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

I think the OP has left the building.
Old 12-29-2014 | 06:32 PM
JD ARTHUR
Racer

John Irelands quote
"For me this is like the chicken and the egg...or which end of the shaft broke first. We know that things have broken...it is just that some of us are not satisfied with aftermarket explanations or solutions.

An other analogy is removing one's prostate at the first sign of elevated PSA levels. And some of us will search for more definitive information before acting."

If you aren't satisfied with either aftermarket EXPLANATIONS or SOLUTIONS what are you satisfied with? I think you have all the definitive information that there is and you've chosen not to act which is each owners decision. In your case you bought insurance, in some others they replaced parts, some never bought the car and some sold them, in others they did nothing except drive the car, in all of the cases there will still be some cars with no problems and some with. If you aren't comfortable then obviously you need to take a different action.
I think the original post was stupid by someone who I don't think even has one of these cars who just wanted to stir up the pot.
Old 12-29-2014 | 07:45 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JD ARTHUR
John Irelands quote
"For me this is like the chicken and the egg...or which end of the shaft broke first. We know that things have broken...it is just that some of us are not satisfied with aftermarket explanations or solutions.

An other analogy is removing one's prostate at the first sign of elevated PSA levels. And some of us will search for more definitive information before acting."

If you aren't satisfied with either aftermarket EXPLANATIONS or SOLUTIONS what are you satisfied with? I think you have all the definitive information that there is and you've chosen not to act which is each owners decision.
Hi...great to see everyone in such a cheerful mood. However what you refer to as "all the definitive information that there is" just isn't definitive enough for me. I think there is more to learn and whatever it is, it may be useful to know. In fact I've come to actually enjoy discussing the IMS bearing because it is a multifaceted mystery...sort of like the Kennedy assassination single bullet theory. Some believe it and some don't. I think Mr. Coffee, Joe DiMaggio, killed JFK because of the President fooling around with Marilyn.

In the meantime engines break or they don't break and we fix them or we don't have to fix them. And some of you will ignore these threads and some of you will jump up and down in pious fits and rants at the mere thought of them, and some of you will be curious enough to read them.

The only thing, for me, that does taint this forum and leave a rather foul stench is the lack of civility that so many of you seem to express. However keep posting those pictures of your wives...I think I've already met several of them.

Last edited by johnireland; 12-29-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:01 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnireland
Hi...great to see everyone in such a cheerful mood. However what you refer to as "all the definitive information that there is" just isn't definitive enough for me. I think there is more to learn and whatever it is, it may be useful to know. In fact I've come to actually enjoy discussing the IMS bearing because it is a multifaceted mystery...sort of like the Kennedy assassination single bullet theory. Some believe it and some don't. I think Mr. Coffee, Joe DiMaggio, killed JFK because of the President fooling around with Marilyn.

In the meantime engines break or they don't break and we fix them or we don't have to fix them. And some of you will ignore these threads and some of you will jump up and down in pious fits and rants at the mere thought of them, and some of you will be curious enough to read them.

The only thing, for me, that does taint this forum and leave a rather foul stench is the lack of civility that so many of you seem to express. However keep posting those pictures of your wives...I think I've already met several of them.
Johnny Irish...there will come a day when you have been a member for more than 3 months and you too will get tired of these threads.

There is nothing new to add concerning the IMS. I promise. I get that the fear of a major engine failure causes worry, angst and anxiety. I also understand that just talking (or reading about it) tends to lessen your anxiety.

There are other ways to relieve all that tension. And yes, you are welcome to use the picture of my wife that I posted above.
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:13 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

John, I understand your inquisitiveness and desire to understand more about the IMS, and I also understand that some forum members get quite sick and tired of reading about any facet of the issue.
Some of the ire is probably due to the frequent reminder of the single biggest and most frustration failure point of these cars. People don't like to be constantly reminded of something that is negative and is not fully understood. They have dealt with the issue in their own way, and don't like the issue constantly hashed and rehashed.
I personally think that those who lash out at people like you who begin the threads do so for a variety of reasons. For some, it's something to get worked up about. Something to do.
Others have a need to berate people (pride, ego, and self esteem issues) and unfortunately forums seem to bring out such rudeness in people.
I would suggest, as others have, that you search the forums for past threads that have discussed the same issues, same thoughts, same conclusions, same questions, etc, etc. You will find quite a lot to think about and learn that has been covered before.
IMO, it would be better to add on to those threads if you have a new or original thought.

And finally, for those who don't want to read about IMS issues anymore, just move on. No need to be uncivil. It doesn't make you look better, smarter, or superior in any way whatsoever to insult someone or their thread.

Last edited by Spokayman; 12-29-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: revised
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:16 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spokayman
John, I understand your inquisitiveness and desire to understand more about the IMS, and I also understand that some forum members get quite sick and tired of reading about any facet of the issue.
Some of the ire is probably due to the frequent reminder of the single biggest and most frustration failure point of these cars. People don't like to be constantly reminded of something that is negative and is not fully understood. They have dealt with the issue in their own way, and don't like the issue constantly hashed and rehashed.
I personally think that those who lash out at people like you who begin the threads do so for a variety of reasons. For some, it's something to get worked up about. Something to do.
Others have a need to berate people (pride, ego, and self esteem issues) and unfortunately forums seem to bring out such rudeness in people.
I would suggest, as others have, that you search the forums for past threads that have discussed the same issues, same thoughts, same conclusions, same questions, etc, etc. You will find quite a lot to think about and learn that has been covered before.
IMO, it would be better to add on to those threads if you have a new or original thought.

And finally, for those who don't want to read about IMS issues anymore, just move on. No need to be uncivil. It doesn't make you look better, smarter, or superior in any way whatsoever to disparage someone's thread.
Or...these posters could (and should) use the sticky. That's what its there for.
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:23 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by johnireland
However what you refer to as "all the definitive information that there is" just isn't definitive enough for me. I think there is more to learn and whatever it is, it may be useful to know.
I applaud your wish for more knowledge and agree that there could be more to the story that could help us better understand the issue. Until you actually have some real facts and something to back up your technical experience, however, you continue to just be another new 996 owner dredging up an overly hyped and discussed issue for no other purpose than to hear yourself talk and **** off the people that have already lived through years of people just like you.

For an encore are you going to start threads about the best oil to use and how Porsche is in league with Mobile1 to destroy our engines?

So please go out and enjoy your car and share the joy and knowledge available in the plethora of other threads and subjects about the car.
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:35 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Wow. How long have threads like this been going on. Didn't these cars start blowing up in 2000... Good entertainment.

Buy an air cooled car drive it and sell it for more when your done.

End of IMS story....
Old 12-29-2014 | 08:40 PM
Fracture
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
End of IMS story....

no,...it isn't

Quick Reply: Engine failures