Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Leather Seat Repair Using Leatherworld...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 02:33 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by thedugger1
get a super small drill bit to re-create the opening (by hand of course!).
Aw crap!
Old 01-02-2015, 02:46 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

One tip, if you do a repair on a perforated section and lose a few of the holes, get a super small drill bit to re-create the opening (by hand of course!).
I used my teenage son and a toothpick to open the perforations.

Here's the procedure I used. Next month marks 10 years with no redye necessary. I also did the carpet while I was at it.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...procedure.html
Old 01-02-2015, 08:58 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

I've been using the leatherworldtech dyes for a few years now and I'm really impressed with how well they hold up. I did a steering wheel on our daily driver about two years ago and it's still like new.
I just bought the Leatherworld kit and am planning to start with the steering wheel. The instructions state that the color prep and cleaner will not remove oil-based staining. My steering wheel is rather worn and I would think that there is some amount of oil/grease from skin on it. What did you use to prep?

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 09:07 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Upon finishing reading through the instructions, it appears that they sell a Leather Master Degreaser. Has anyone had success with something else?
Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I've been using the leatherworldtech dyes for a few years now and I'm really impressed with how well they hold up. I did a steering wheel on our daily driver about two years ago and it's still like new. I recommend doing the whole seat or both front seats as I tried just do a bolster and it just didn't match up perfect.

Another nice thing is that on lighter leathers, it touches up and blends easily so if you want to do an annual refresh, it's easy.

I also highly recommend the sponge for application, multiple light coats. I find spraying or brushing just left an unnatural grain. P.S. works great on perforated seats too. One tip, if you do a repair on a perforated section and lose a few of the holes, get a super small drill bit to re-create the opening (by hand of course!).
I can honestly say that the color match is close enough that if I didn't mention that I did the repair, 99 out of 100 people wouldn't recognize it. The level of sheen is still a little off, but I think over time with a little conditioning it'll even out - it certainly doesn't stand out enough to bother me in the least - and I am pretty particular/detail oriented.
As for the steering wheel repair, unless the wheel is really greasy I would give it a shot with the regular cleaner - it's pretty strong stuff. I was surprised how much finish it took off when I used it. Good luck, I hope it works out good for you!
Old 01-03-2015, 12:53 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bal
I just bought the Leatherworld kit and am planning to start with the steering wheel. The instructions state that the color prep and cleaner will not remove oil-based staining. My steering wheel is rather worn and I would think that there is some amount of oil/grease from skin on it. What did you use to prep?

Thanks!
Here's another option if you want to consider it. I bought the kit for my SC, removed the old cover, and sewed new leather on the steering wheel.

http://www.aglausa.com/p/home.html
Old 01-03-2015, 03:13 AM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Here's another option if you want to consider it. I bought the kit for my SC, removed the old cover, and sewed new leather on the steering wheel. http://www.aglausa.com/p/home.html
That looks fantastic. Thank you for the link. How hard was it to do?
Old 01-03-2015, 03:30 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bal
That looks fantastic. Thank you for the link. How hard was it to do?
I would say the job is more tedious than difficult. If I recall there are about 250 holes that have to be threaded through and it's hard on the thumb. I used a thimble and spread the job over a couple days. Did half one day and the other half the next.

I'd probably try your dye first then use this as a backup option. Just make sure you rub down your steering wheel leather several times with prepping agent to remove all the oils that have built up over the years. If you're not happy with the result, call AGLA (Alan Gunn) and see if they have the kit for your model year.

I'll try to find a photo of my steering wheel after I replaced the leather.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:41 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Here's a photo of the refinished steering wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 01-03-2015, 05:33 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info autobonrun.
I tried the Leatherworld stuff today and the steering wheel looks pretty good. We'll see what the final result looks like after 24 hours and once I've applied the cream.

Before:

After applying the filler:

After a few light coats of the dye:
Old 01-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did they match the graphite grey? Or did you pick one of their pre made colors?
Old 01-03-2015, 07:41 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ck986
Did they match the graphite grey? Or did you pick one of their pre made colors?
I just used their standard color code 944. Also, I selected the semi gloss finish.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:03 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bal
I just used their standard color code 944. Also, I selected the semi gloss finish.
Yours looks great after the re-dye. No need for a new cover. Your leather is good and the threads are intact. My leather was peeling and much of the thread was missing; not sure how but it wasn't there.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:43 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Nice job, it looks perfect ! I think I have to do my Steering Wheel and E-Brake handle now...Gonna have to get the semi-gloss though...
Old 01-09-2015, 12:15 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Looks great, thanks for posting your experience. I'll be doing seats and perhaps most of an interior on an 1980 SC restoration soon. Seeing how well it turned out for others is a confidence booster

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Repair Using Leatherworld...