Sponsored by:

How Really Prone to Failure are they?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

It's not like 996's are unique...

$8,000 Hondarubaru owners snap their timing belts all the time and instantly go to zero value.

Does driving a 996 offer twice the reward for twice the risk? For most people, no, which is why the sell more honarubaru's then Porsches.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:34 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I was under the impression the M97 refers to the 3.8L, not a reference to all engines with later larger bearings. And I was also under the impression that the early 3.8L in the first of the '05 S's used the small single-row bearing. I quit my subscription to Excellence mainly because I read too many examples of mistakes and misinformation in their Tech section.
No, M97s are not just the 3.8 engines. The 3.4 in the '06-'08 Caymans are M97s.
And I believe the 3.6 engines in the 997.1s (after a certain point in 2006) were also M97.
I agree with errors in Excellence mag though. In fact there is an error in the article that is being referenced here relating to the year M97 engines were used in 987 Caymans.

The important point here is to know what year(s) Porsches used the M97 (which have the larger bearing) because the rate of bearing failure in M97s is a fraction of the bearing failure of the mid-996 engines with single row bearings.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM
riddler777
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

guys you are so lucky to be able to get the rollers for those 5K

in yurp (europe) I got mine with unknown diagnosis, but still a roller for 10+K euros and they don't get cheaper even if the catastrophical damage has set in 8000 ~ 9000 euros to start with

about replacement engines the dealer in europe tells that 13000 eur, + core (on condition your engine isn't completely blown to pieces, dunno how they determine that) and 19000 eur if it is completely wasted

+ labour sooo I believe it is much much cheaper to own a 996 in USA, (not concerning DIYers like myself)
Old 12-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokayman
No, M97s are not just the 3.8 engines. The 3.4 in the '06-'08 Caymans are M97s.
And I believe the 3.6 engines in the 997.1s (after a certain point in 2006) were also M97.
I agree with errors in Excellence mag though. In fact there is an error in the article that is being referenced here relating to the year M97 engines were used in 987 Caymans.

The important point here is to know what year(s) Porsches used the M97 (which have the larger bearing) because the rate of bearing failure in M97s is a fraction of the bearing failure of the mid-996 engines with single row bearings.
There's more to the M97 differences than the IMSB. To us they're all M96s, because the change was very subtle between the two series of engines. Porsche needed desperately to make the cars appear like they had seen a completely new engine design- but that's not what happened. Lots of things on the outside changed, and not so much on the inside.

I see engines with an M97 designation frequently that have the M96 style IMSB factory fitted. These are 2005 only engines. It happens so much that I had to write an article about it for my customers with 05 vehicles that had IMSB questions.

Most writers in magazines are lost. They are "parrots" that are reading resource materials and rewriting things. Excellence had great tech articles when the late Jim Pasha was the writer, as well as the most former tech editor that left for Panorama, Tony Callas.

The magazines have to ensure they don't **** off readers, don't **** off advertisers (it's all about adverts to these magazine clowns, except for Pano) and that they don't **** off Porsche. Because if this the most direct and informative articles never make print. I know, I have been able to read many of them that were turned down.

Believe nothing of what you hear and only 1/2 of what you read. There's a good chance that the guy that wrote that article knows less than you do.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:26 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The magazines have to ensure they don't **** off readers, don't **** off advertisers (it's all about adverts to these magazine clowns, except for Pano) and that they don't **** off Porsche. Because if this the most direct and informative articles never make print. I know, I have been able to read many of them that were turned down.

Believe nothing of what you hear and only 1/2 of what you read. There's a good chance that the guy that wrote that article knows less than you do.
That's what I love about Top Gear UK, if/when a car sucks they come right out and say it. You'll never hear that on an American car show or magazine.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:56 PM
DK570
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
That's what I love about Top Gear UK, if/when a car sucks they come right out and say it. You'll never hear that on an American car show or magazine.
That's true, but Top Gear still makes mistakes. In the 996 episode, Jeremy says the C4S has the same engine as the Turbo, but w/o the Turbos.

Quick Reply: How Really Prone to Failure are they?