Sponsored by:

New 996 tt awd owner with issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 05:14 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 996 tt awd owner with issues

Hello new to the site and new owner of a '01 996 tt awd dark blue with cinnamon interior. So far so good. Couple of questions though, hopefully someone here can help out
1. the little fan above the motor turns on as soon as the car starts up, isn't it supposed to turn on when it's too hot?
2. sometimes i need to start the car in Neutral, it acts like a dead battery in drive. it's an automatic...

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
love this site, but i think most of you guys are on the west coast. anybody on the east coast?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Bubrubb
Instructor

Plenty of answer are out there already.

The search tool is your friend.

#1. https://rennlist.com/forums/996-foru...t-startup.html

#2. I'm pretty sure you should never been starting an automatic in drive, regardless of make/model. There is usually a lockout mechanism installed so you aren't able to start the car in drive. Park or Neutral only.

Good luck.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by paoylin1
Hello new to the site and new owner of a '01 996 tt awd dark blue with cinnamon interior. So far so good. Couple of questions though, hopefully someone here can help out
1. the little fan above the motor turns on as soon as the car starts up, isn't it supposed to turn on when it's too hot?
2. sometimes i need to start the car in Neutral, it acts like a dead battery in drive. it's an automatic...

any help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
love this site, but i think most of you guys are on the west coast. anybody on the east coast?
The engine compartment fan can run when the engine starts up. One it can do this if the engine compartment is too warm. I do not remember the trigger temperature. Two it can do this even if the engine is dead cold if a fuse is installed. My 03 Turbo's engine compartment fan runs all the time the engine is on and I like that.

The 2nd issue you have is to me it sounds like the Tip doesn't know the lever is in the N position. This arise if the neutral switch is defective if the engine never starts in neutral. What happens if you wiggle the shifter around a bit or move the shifter from neutral then back again?
Old 12-06-2014, 07:09 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you ever start an automatic in N and not park? Certainly not on the regular.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by adcampo
Why would you ever start an automatic in N and not park? Certainly not on the regular.
Not sure why but it is allowable based on my info.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Could your issue with starting just be a failing ignition switch? The switch kept my 6mt from starting sometimes.

Btw that's one of my favorite color combinations.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:54 AM
911 carrera blue
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I would say it over and over again is time to fuse the Turbo forum here, somehow no one like to ask questions in the Turbo forum?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:47 AM
paoylin1
Advanced

thanks for all the suggestions, i messed up with my first post putting it in the wrong area.

what i also messed up with is to say park not drive. sometimes it won't start in Park but will start in Neutral.

thanks again for putting up with a newbie.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:48 AM
paoylin1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ck986
Could your issue with starting just be a failing ignition switch? The switch kept my 6mt from starting sometimes.

Btw that's one of my favorite color combinations.
thank you
Old 12-08-2014, 11:27 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,166 Likes on 746 Posts

If it is the engine compartment fan running (not the SAI pump), then probably one thing to check is the engine compartment heat sensor. Been known to fall out of the bracket. Not sure where yours is, but on the 996 it is on the right side of the engine between the intakes.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:48 AM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by DBJoe996

If it is the engine compartment fan running (not the SAI pump), then probably one thing to check is the engine compartment heat sensor. Been known to fall out of the bracket. Not sure where yours is, but on the 996 it is on the right side of the engine between the intakes.
For the 996 NA models I believe the engine compartment fan only runs when the engine compartment temperature gets above a certain point.

For the 996 Turbo, there are two fan fuses. If the 2nd fuse is installed the engine compartment fan runs all the time the engine is on.

It also can come on when the engine is off if the engine compartment temperature climbs above a certain point, just like the 996 NA models.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:46 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

Originally Posted by DBJoe996

thank you
Old 12-08-2014, 02:47 PM
paoylin1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Macster
For the 996 NA models I believe the engine compartment fan only runs when the engine compartment temperature gets above a certain point.

For the 996 Turbo, there are two fan fuses. If the 2nd fuse is installed the engine compartment fan runs all the time the engine is on.

It also can come on when the engine is off if the engine compartment temperature climbs above a certain point, just like the 996 NA models.
thank you, do you know where the fuses are?
Old 12-09-2014, 12:54 PM
Macster
Race Director

Originally Posted by paoylin1
thank you, do you know where the fuses are?
Fuse B4 (15A) is the engine compartment fan fuse.
Fuse C5 (5A) is the optional engine compartment fan fuse.

Rows A-E are lettered top to bottom and fuse positions start at left side and start counting at 1 and increment as one moves to the right.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:46 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it is the engine compartment fan running (not the SAI pump),
And, cross the SAI noise off your check list because the 996TT doesn't have one.

Quick Reply: New 996 tt awd owner with issues