Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Been thinking of a TT, i'd like to hear from owners that went fron a 996 NA to TT..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 03:36 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by adcampo
One thing I love about my 4s is that when I accelerate to 60 it feels like I'm doing 100. In my M5 I would feel like I was doing 60, but actually doing 125. Very dangerous and risky. Is that how the TT is?
With both my Boxster or Turbo they don't feel like they are going as fast as they actually are.

On longer drives I have to be careful I don't allow the speed to creep up as either car is just so stable and planted at speed.

I've had the Turbo up to 165mph and while the scenery flashes by like the thing is traveling at light speed the car exhibits no drama at this speed.

It is really hard for when on I-40 and I leave NM and enter the TX panhandle and leave the 75mph limit in NM -- which I sometimes exceed a tiny bit if you know what I mean -- only to run up head first into the nighttime limit of 65mph in TX (which is strictly enforced).

As I approach the TX state line and I slow the car down -- you have to do this for there can be a TX smokey bear just on the other side of the state line waiting for the unsuspecting/inattentive driver to cross the state line going too fast -- the car feels like it is standing still. And as I continue on I have to really be watchful. This where the cruise control helps. (That and I try to time my arrival so I pass through the TX panhandle during the daylight hours. 65mph at night across the TX panhandle seems to take an eternity.)
Old 11-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 931 Posts

I would say that my turbo feels like it's going slower than it is actually going, like Macster said. The interesting thing about the turbo is that the red line is lower than it is in the normally aspirated cars and once the boost comes on, the engine revs extremely quickly. If I accelerate from a stop in first gear, there's hardly enough time to change into second gear. The car is at red line in an instant. This gives you a pretty good sense of how fast you are accelerating and how fast you are going. The danger zone is once you've shifted into second and you are accelerating onto the highway, for example. If you keep your foot planted, then you'll get up to 100 mph before you know it. There was a review of the 997 TT by Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear when it first launched. One stat that I still remember well is this one: if you are in second gear going 40 mph and you put the accelerator to the floor, it takes 1 second to hit 60 mph. Think about that!
Old 11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx. I'll have to search that Top Gear episode.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:49 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

only to run up head first into the nighttime limit of 65mph in TX (which is strictly enforced).
Not anymore. That changed in 2012. Mac, you know you wanna be a Texan!
Old 12-01-2014, 12:44 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I compare my Cayenne turbo with my 996 turbo, at 200 kph the Cayenne feels like its hardly moving and the 966 turbo feels like it has some speed. The difference between my old 4S and the turbo is how quickly it gets there.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:42 PM
adcampo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So I listed my 4S on Craigslist with a pretty wishful sales price. Not the best time of year for a cab sale, but I'll test the market for any nibbles.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...788459539.html
Old 12-03-2014, 08:30 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Not anymore. That changed in 2012. Mac, you know you wanna be a Texan!
That's news to me. 'course, I haven't been on the road outside of CA since before June of 2012. I plan on hitting the road pretty quick and will probably at least pass through the panhandle again, unless I have to go further south to avoid bad weather.

I could be a Texan one of these days. I'm thinking of retiring and I might decide to retire to Texas.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:26 PM
sfv_rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a C2 in Tennessee last December and drove it back to Los Angeles. Along the way, I spent plenty of time in Texas, driving at 5 over the limit with the cruise control set. I didn't want to get a ticket along the way.

I drove through Texas at night, entering on the 30 at the AR / TX border to Dallas, then the 20 west to the middle of nowhere, and exiting the state on the 10 through El Paso. I entered the state as the sun was setting, and drove through the night, exiting the state the next morning, about 30 minutes after sunrise.

I'm used to the drive north from Los Angeles to Oregon (600 miles until you get into Oregon), but the drive from Dallas through the rest of Texas just seems to go on forever. West of Midland, there is little between you and El Paso but open ground, and a ribbon of highway. East of Midland, to Dallas, there isn't a lot there, either. If something breaks, help is a long ways away.

I say this not to criticize Texas (a state that I dearly love), but sometimes you need to drive through a desolate place to appreciate just how huge this country is.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:43 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I remember driving from San Antonio to El Paso once. I thought that drive would never end...

When I began to travel around the country for business years ago, I was shocked when I was in the northeast and the major cities were so close together. Driving in states like Texas, or Montana or a few others out west really does help you appreciate the size of the US.
Old 12-05-2014, 03:23 PM
Pcargo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
I remember driving from San Antonio to El Paso once. I thought that drive would never end...

When I began to travel around the country for business years ago, I was shocked when I was in the northeast and the major cities were so close together. Driving in states like Texas, or Montana or a few others out west really does help you appreciate the size of the US.
The drive is more entertaining now that the speed limit is 80mph lol
Old 12-05-2014, 07:32 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove from COTA to San Antonio a few months ago and the speed limit was 85. It was exciting to see but I was driving a Camry.

Originally Posted by Pcargo
The drive is more entertaining now that the speed limit is 80mph lol
Old 12-05-2014, 09:59 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

I drove on one of the 85 mph freeways from COTA to Dallas a few years ago. There was a state trooper with radar every 1/2 mile or so. It wasn't really all that fun.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:12 AM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had the Turbo up to 165mph and while the scenery flashes by like the thing is traveling at light speed the car exhibits no drama at this speed.
You sir are either crazy or have giant nads. Where on earth did you do that? Or maybe you shouldnt say. I couldnt even imagine trying it. Seen too many bad things happen at speed.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Ever driven across Nevada? I can think of about 100 miles of road (at least) that you could do that without issue and endangering no one but yourself.
Old 12-06-2014, 10:55 AM
Ck986
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My tt builds speed quickly you'll be at 100 with the tap of your right foot. I set the speed alarm at 100mph to keep me in check but give me room to have some fun. I haven't tried going too fast in the tt but did hit 145 in my Boxster years ago with the top down. The little plastic window was rattling quite a bit.

Quick Reply: Been thinking of a TT, i'd like to hear from owners that went fron a 996 NA to TT..