Sponsored by:

Getting the yellow out (lights)

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 07:50 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Getting the yellow out (lights)

I have gone through a restorer kit for my headlights (did it as soon as I got the car), and it amazed me just how much yellow was being removed during the process. My headlights **still** look great, and in some light they look completely clear--practically new. However, in some light you can seen a hint of yellow, especially if you view the lights at an angle--especially from the side. I assume this is because you are looking through more of the material at such an angle.

With that said, is there any way to get ALL of the yellow out of the lenses? Where does it come from? In other words, why does the lens get yellowed only on the outside, or does it also yellow on the inside? It seems like this would be highly likely due to the heat generated in the lens compartment. If it is yellowed almost exclusively on the outside (uv rays?), should I not also restore the tail light assemblies?

If the lenses do yellow on the inside, has anyone tried cleaning them? I've replaced a headlight bulb, but I didn't take time to see how accessible the inside of the lens is. I'd just love for everyone to weight in and see what you've done to clean the lenses on your car.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Well I have used these guys (if there is one in your area) and for $100 mine look perfect. Have had this done on 2 of my PCars

http://drheadlight.com/
Old 11-19-2014, 02:34 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

There doesn't seem to be one anywhere near me...??

For my own benefit, though, does anyone know about the yellowing of the lens? Is it just on the outside, or does the yellowing also occur on the inside of the lens? If it's caused by UV rays, would it be beneficial to clean the rear lenses as well?
Old 11-19-2014, 02:47 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Apparently the UV coating goes
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/globe-d...service=mobile
Old 11-19-2014, 02:48 PM
BAD.TAG
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr
There doesn't seem to be one anywhere near me...??

For my own benefit, though, does anyone know about the yellowing of the lens? Is it just on the outside, or does the yellowing also occur on the inside of the lens? If it's caused by UV rays, would it be beneficial to clean the rear lenses as well?
The yellowing is caused by a deterioration of the UV coating over time. Its on the outside of the lens and thats what you want to ultimately remove.

Because you are removing this, you will want to consider reapplying it in some form or going with a protective lens covering such as Lamin-X
Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 PM
particlewave
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JonathanEngr
I have gone through a restorer kit for my headlights (did it as soon as I got the car), and it amazed me just how much yellow was being removed during the process. My headlights **still** look great, and in some light they look completely clear--practically new. However, in some light you can seen a hint of yellow, especially if you view the lights at an angle--especially from the side. I assume this is because you are looking through more of the material at such an angle.

With that said, is there any way to get ALL of the yellow out of the lenses?
This depends on how bad they are. Sometimes the discoloration is in the material.

Where does it come from? In other words, why does the lens get yellowed only on the outside, or does it also yellow on the inside?
UV Rays will cause the UV coating to yellow. High heat inside the headlight will cause the lens and the inner plastic shroud piece to turn a golden or green hue.

It seems like this would be highly likely due to the heat generated in the lens compartment. If it is yellowed almost exclusively on the outside (uv rays?), should I not also restore the tail light assemblies?

If the lenses do yellow on the inside, has anyone tried cleaning them?
Yes, I clean them every day. Sometimes the discoloration can be removed, but sometimes it cannot.

I've replaced a headlight bulb, but I didn't take time to see how accessible the inside of the lens is.
The only way to access the inside of the lenses to take it off.

I'd just love for everyone to weight in and see what you've done to clean the lenses on your car.
The message you've entered is too short.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 PM
JonathanEngr
Advanced

Great! Thanks for the information. I had no idea the lens had a UV coating which, in turn, was causing the discoloration.

Quick Reply: Getting the yellow out (lights)