Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Bad idea to use a vent mount for a smart phone?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 07:11 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Bad idea to use a vent mount for a smart phone?

In two other cars, I used one of those smart phone mounts/adapters that clips to the vents. The brand was clingo and it worked well. But I was always worried that it would damage the vents, and something tells me replacing vents in a Porsche would not be cheap, so rather than just try it, I’m wondering if others have experience with such things.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 PM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I use this for my phone (the vent mounts did not work for me)

Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 PM
bal
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the ProClip mount which is stupidly expensive for what it is but is very secure.
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...-996/2002.cmsv
You also need the actual phone holder.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:33 AM
dph928
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Try one of these, they are perfect for our dash!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-Car-Pho...item35da643dfa

I spent ages looking for something that wouldn't stick out too far! The only negative is you have to pull it out slightly when not in use as the cigarette socket is always live...
Old 11-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Buzz Killington
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought this one a couple months ago and it works great:

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I put it on the center right vent for my iPhone because I use Waze all the time. The vent obviously comes down now, but by mounting it near the bottom it's not bad, and in any event it holds my phone hard enough where I can tilt the phone up in the "grips", so to speak, and maintain my view.

One drawback is that the vent of course blows right onto the phone. When it gets really cold and I'm using the heat a lot I'll turn it to the passenger side.

No affiliation, YMMV, etc.

Dave
Old 11-17-2014, 11:21 AM
devioustrap
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Seconded, on the Kenu Airframe. I have the exact same mount.

A better location I found is actually the driver side air vent. I ran a power wire to there and it fits perfectly. The vent is angled up, so it doesn't tilt down like it did on the center one.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:18 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I use the Airframe for my iPhone at track days. The drivers side vent is a perfect location for (Harry's ) a lap timer. When I crank the heat, I simply turn off the air to that vent.

Also, I rest the bottom of the phone on the light switch dial for a little more support during sessions.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:48 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bal
I use the ProClip mount which is stupidly expensive for what it is but is very secure.
http://www.proclipusa.com/dashboard-...-996/2002.cmsv
You also need the actual phone holder.
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like they make some very good mounts. Alas, it also looks like they only have one mount for the 996, and it goes where Porsche puts their phone. And unfortunately, Porsche put one in my car :-(

I do want to get rid of it someday, but it's not my top priority. And it's a bit low for dialing and navigating anyway, so I guess I need something else.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:00 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Buzz Killington

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

I put it on the center right vent for my iPhone because I use Waze all the time. The vent obviously comes down now, but by mounting it near the bottom it's not bad, and in any event it holds my phone hard enough where I can tilt the phone up in the "grips", so to speak, and maintain my view.

One drawback is that the vent of course blows right onto the phone. When it gets really cold and I'm using the heat a lot I'll turn it to the passenger side.

Dave
Looks good, I may have to try one of these. Is the "black" model really as grey as it looks? That would be a shame. Grey looks good in grey cars. Black looks good almost everywhere (well, in limited quantities - I prefer beige/brown :-) ).
Old 11-18-2014, 06:04 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by devioustrap
Seconded, on the Kenu Airframe. I have the exact same mount.

A better location I found is actually the driver side air vent. I ran a power wire to there and it fits perfectly. The vent is angled up, so it doesn't tilt down like it did on the center one.
So you have a phone charger ending wired though the vent? Or nearby in the dashboard? That would be convenient. Though how does it work when there is no phone attached? (Would be great if you could upload some pics!)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kromdom
I use this for my phone (the vent mounts did not work for me)
So it also goes in the 996 cup holder? Has the advantage of not completely blocking vents. (Or maybe when you use heat, you have to shut both center vents?)
Old 11-18-2014, 06:10 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

P.S. When I started this thread I wondered if I might have to wait a lot longer for helpful info. Thanks for all the helpful posts!
Old 11-18-2014, 08:03 PM
dnwong
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buzz Killington

Amazon.com: Kenu Airframe - Portable Smartphone Car Mount - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Dave
My concern would be all that weight on the plastic vents. Will it wear down the friction and cause the vents to wobble around loosely?
Old 11-19-2014, 07:09 PM
rs10
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dnwong
My concern would be all that weight on the plastic vents. Will it wear down the friction and cause the vents to wobble around loosely?
Good question - I'd like to know this as well. If no problems so far, how long have you guys been using yours?

(I used one for a couple of years on one car with no ill effects - but it was a completely different car, so that may mean nothing for our cars.)
Old 11-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Slopeslider
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Lost my storage shelf after the iPad install. Wanted a low profile mount and power cord all in one but couldn't seem to find one that fit my needs. Made one using the vent mount by connecting it to a power cord. Easily removable and quite stable. I used a plastic pen body, cut in down and wrapped it to the power cord with a heat gun to stabilize it.

Quick Reply: Bad idea to use a vent mount for a smart phone?