Old 11-18-2014, 11:43 AM
pirahna
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
OK, here go's;
The wheels are wrong
The front has been changed (original had bumpers)
Wrong splitter
The radio has been removed

2001's issues;
Severe 2nd gear popout
rear spoiler
clutch problems
1st North American 996 TT
missing glove box, etc. as others have mentioned

I almost made a deal on a 2001 TT, glad I didn't. In summary, the 2001 TT was pretty much a lemon for most.
2nd gear pop out effects all years the same.
Rear spoiler effects all years the same.
Clutch is the same all years.
Who cares if it is the first year?
Why is a glove box so important to you?
Really, you are glad you skipped the turbo for these reasons?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:42 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
Thats why I posted:
"1st North American 996 TT"

That means United States if you didnt catch it.
No, I caught that, and it's a valid point. My point was that they did have a year to work out the bugs in Europe before bringing it to the U.S. So, even though it was the first year for the U.S. version, it's not that big of a deal. Kind of like the 2nd gear popout issue - no one would deny it occurred. I just don't think either issue rises to the "this car is a lemon because of that" category.
BTW, I've got no dog in the fight - I don't own a 996TT (yet). So, I'm in the fact gathering stage of the purchase process. I have no first hand knowledge whatsoevah, so the questions truly are questions - not trying to pick a fight. I'd rather find out now that the '01 model is a lemon than a week after I buy one.
But, had I given up on buying a 996 NA after reading all of the hype on Rennlist about the "bearing who shall not be named" and "27 modes of engine failure", I would not have bought my current car (which I consider one of the best cars I've ever owned out of more than 100 cars).
Old 11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
KrazyK
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

So, I'm in the fact gathering stage of the purchase process.
KC, you have certainly been around the 996 forum long enough to know the ropes here. I just think you get so much more by getting a 996 TT MKII v. the 2001. Numerous improvements with the 2002 up. There are many downsides posted about the 2001 TT so JMHO to avoid it and go up to at least the next year model.

My goal is to afford the 997 TT to get even more car for the money though I do really like the 2002 up TT 996. You cant go wrong with one for sure.

Quick Reply: 2001 996 turbo 84k mile good deal?