996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hi Fi Sound vs Bose - Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003 | 12:57 AM
winovin
Instructor

Default Hi Fi Sound vs Bose - Quality?

I have not heard both - the dealer was telling me they are comparable - what are Rennlist opinions? Can you please try to describe the differences?

Also, how is the HPAS - High Performance Audio System?

Thanks
Old 08-20-2003 | 01:06 AM
CAPTLST
Instructor

The Bose is the only way to go. I have don't have Bose in my Turbo and it is a huge disappointment. Good thing I like the sound of the engine!! HEHE

Don't listen to the dealer they are not comparable.
Old 08-20-2003 | 01:24 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i have the bose in my tt-i like it. for the money, it is a good deal.
Old 08-20-2003 | 03:25 AM
Akira
Intermediate

The good test is driving at 70 in an open Cab and listening to the Bose. It's pretty amazing with all the other noise.
Old 08-20-2003 | 10:18 AM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

The BOSE is good, certainly better than the stock. BUT, if you REALLY want a good sound system, people say you can get better aftermarket systems. Me, I'm happy enough with the upgraded Porsche system, the BOSE. Anything more is overkill for a listening area that has a lot of extraneous sounds. If you want excellent sounds, build a home system.
Old 08-20-2003 | 01:21 PM
sennasixty8
Instructor

Talking Nothing but good things to say...

about BOSE, the sound quality is 10x better than the standard system I had in the last C4 I sold. I too was skeptical about the extra cost of the "high-end" BOSE upgrade until I took delivery. The bass response is tight and accurate, though not booming or overly thumpy. I've heard or read somewhere here on the list that Germans prefer plentiful BASS, and they've achieved that and resonable Hi-frequency response without overdoing it...money well spent IMHO
Old 08-23-2003 | 11:49 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

I went out of my way to ensure that I got the Bose system in my new 03 cab. The stereo is very important to me and the Bose is a major dissapointment.

The sound system in my BMW and my wife's Volvo XC90 blow it away.

I would get the standard stereo then get an aftermarket upgrade.
Old 08-23-2003 | 09:17 PM
Chucksta
Instructor

is there anyway to retrofit the bose system in a 03 cab?
Old 08-24-2003 | 01:28 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

chuksta, with enough money, you can do anything. my bet is that the cost, with installation at the dealer, would be impractical
Old 08-24-2003 | 03:19 PM
opie
AutoX

I just got a new C4S with Bose sound. I haven't heard the standard Porsche sound system, but the Bose system borders on awful. Decent bass, but very poor midrange and top end. A somewhat "digital" characteristic prevails, one that is "dry" and "hard-sounding". I don't think I'm being too picky here, but it is almost unlistenable. If I were to do it again, I would strongly consider getting the lowest cost system and doing something aftermarket.
Old 08-24-2003 | 04:28 PM
smjjpres
Instructor

I suppose it is background and preference...much like everything.

I had the regular hifi in a Targa. Prior to the Targa I had an M5 with the full DSP. The Targa system was definitely weaker all around.

However, I too just purchased a new C4s with the Bose system. I think it is awesome and worth every penny. Personal preference!
Old 08-25-2003 | 12:56 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

i also like the bose system--even though the engine is even better!
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:58 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Bose is a nice system, but it's a bit boomy (not in a good bassy way, but in a bad annoying way) and it's not as good as the Bose in the Audi or the Vette. I would save the money on the bose, and talk to Rick @ Reus Systems- www.reusaudio.com - their stuff is to die for, and you'll only spend a little more than you would on the Bose, unless you get crazy and want an ultra hi-fi system.

Old 08-26-2003 | 03:18 PM
TitanL9
Pro

Default Re: Hi Fi Sound vs Bose - Quality?

Originally posted by winovin
I have not heard both - the dealer was telling me they are comparable - what are Rennlist opinions? Can you please try to describe the differences?

Also, how is the HPAS - High Performance Audio System?

Thanks
I picked up my 03 P2 Saturday...with the Bose system installed. It was worth it for my ears. Radio operates as well as one would. However, the CD player with amps and multiple speakers is nothing short of great, even with windows down and roof open. I listened to their standard radio and didn't find it equal. However, it all depends on your ears and the types of music you listen to. My choices are jazz/rock, except for early morning driving, then you'll hear elevator music eminating.

Quick Reply: Hi Fi Sound vs Bose - Quality?